I would have thought that most accidents would be caused by the idiot behind the wheel.

My statement was a deliberately loose one , in a slightly trollish vein...but when was the last time you saw a classic car in the news in a hwy smash or everyday incident? Perhaps because the drivers are exactly that , and they care , as opposed to the majority of motorists who seem to be

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe e-brake malfunction update :

"Car needs a software update"

FFS. If this is the future , I'm signing up to go to Mars. They've got the general pubic by the short & curlies - and hanging them out the window.

My everyday driver Hyundai i30 had a steering software update, electric steering.

There's no way of turning back the clock, this is the future and it's mostly coming from the car racing industry, as most of us know all these changes, updates etc come from race cars, like it or lump it, it's here to stay and it's focused on average Joe who is not a car person and drives to work and drops the kids to school etc, no matter what anyone thinks these changes have made vehicle's better and safer to drive for the majority of people just moving about in their daily lives.

Buy a Kombi or an EH wagon Taz. New cars are crap

Personally I've got enough old cars to last my remaining years.

My wife likes "safety" and "new car smell". Probably normal for that demographic.

, no matter what Tazz thinks these changes have made vehicle's better and safer to drive for the majority of people just moving about in their daily beige lives.

Peter , a mechanical handbrake when adjusted properly with ratchet greased is easily applied , effectively ,  by a child when instructed to do so. But perhaps I am biased as my children were/are active and strong. In that regard they take after "yesterday's grandparents -  who are also strong enough to pull on a cable!

Taz,

I don't disagree that a mechanical handbrake in good order is a doddle to operate.  However the pressure on manufacturers to reduce vehicle mass to improve fuel economy in a competitive market and in particular in the USA with the CAFE regulations forces the manufactures to adopt lighter tech whenever they can.

My favourite hand brakes are:

HQ - WB "floppy" &

VE Commodore (that half the users like and the other half hate!)

My most disliked:

Subaru Outback electric

VW Passat electric

Taz,

I don't disagree that a mechanical handbrake in good order is a doddle to operate.  However the pressure on manufacturers to reduce vehicle mass to improve fuel economy in a competitive market and in particular in the USA with the CAFE regulations forces the manufactures to adopt lighter tech whenever they can.

Cars are far heavier than they used to be , due to all the useless crap they put in there for people who want to drive around in an office loungeroom cum kitchenette.

If they were serious it would be carbonfibre and speed limiters. As other methods have failed , self driving modules are being developed.

Oh noes! Self driving function has failed, what to do, kids & shopping to pick up it's raining ! Call RAC and get towed somewhere for a software upgrade. Tomorrow if you're lucky.

Laughing as I type this. 

https://youtu.be/WKbEDSwNHpI

Edited by tazzieman

Pretty simple really, just don't buy a modern car if you don't like the way they are going.;)

Half the fun of being older is making observations. e.g. it was faster getting around Sydney & Melbourne 100 years ago by horse & cart  than it is now (so I'm told).

But it's fine by me if people want to allow their lives to be controlled at every junction. Just never complain "It's all the government's fault" when things don't go right!

But like Daryl Kerrigan , I'm just not the "quietly take it up the clacker" type. 

i'll tell you what pisses me right off...listening to spotify when in between songs i get a farkin liberal party advert!!!!! is there no place to run and hide from political advertising:(

You could put on one of those records from the last century and light your pipe?

I don't even know what spotify is!

"Records" are retro cool and collectable. I hung on to all of mine. I even got a new one for Christmas (Zeppelin)

If you ever go to JB HiFi they have lots of "records" there. Even I have seen them,  after falling over the dozens of 3000cm TVs and other must-have short- lived e-devices ;) Records are like Land Rovers. Last forever,  and appreciate!