I agree with most of the above - and i can't stand those front indicators! (which is about the only thing he actually 'designed')

but good on him for marketing it so well and making money out of a hobby which I'd never be able to do

there's a real cult of personality around him and RWB, interesting that singer doesn't have a similar following

The main thing I don't like is all the tippy toeing around the fact he is building a brand and selling it as such. I couldn't care less how much work he puts into a car but just come out and say I want to sell cars and t-shirts.

But come on if you're not building a brand why do you need so much spin in any media that will take you? His interaction on P.P is 99% this is the latest artical on me or here is the car I've just put together and 1% interaction with other users.

The real question is Russ did he come up with that or was it the bodyshop guy?

Edit: I am not sure if Singer are even in the same market Russ. They are closer to RUF than they are M.W it's just that they both do longhood cars.

there's a real cult of personality around him and RWB, interesting that singer doesn't have a similar following

cost i'd say.. also RWB seems to have tapped the upcoming generation, singer seens to appeal to different (perhaps older?) market.

23k for bodykit and wheels is ridiulous but still more attainable than a 300-500k singer haha, though i know what i'd pick!

yeah there's so much more engineering in a singer car - I'm in awe even over the radiator installs they do, the dashboard treatment, that GT3 cranked Cosworth engine...

I guess I just don't get the appeal of an MW car, for the price of some of them I could just get a shell and buy all the bits off the shelf to make one

cost i'd say.. also RWB seems to have tapped the upcoming generation, singer seens to appeal to different (perhaps older?) market.

23k for bodykit and wheels is ridiulous but still more attainable than a 300-500k singer haha, though i know what i'd pick!

LOL don't forget for the 23k you still need to pay for paint and the rest of the body work. I think you do get some new shocks though!

Hmm I need to find a hole in the market so I can sit at home in my shed building 911's rather than this crappy sitting at a desk stuff. Anyone good as media spin?

Russ do you want to "buy" my car for $400,000?

LOL don't forget for the 23k you still need to pay for paint and the rest of the body work. I think you do get some new shocks though!

Hmm I need to find a hole in the market so I can sit at home in my shed building 911's rather than this crappy sitting at a desk stuff. Anyone good as media spin?

yep that was the parts quote haha

and they only work on cars already in top shape apparently and it's still like 10-15k in labour on top!!

No. You must carefully create a persona first. That is an art in itself. You probably haven't even considered the fine modern art of manscaping (i.e. what appeals to other men) , hell knows I haven't.

Of course if you own a LHD SC and seal some contraband in the chassis and then export to Europe / USA  <_< But like spending money on restorations and rebuilds , it's a tad risky.

Already have the (formerly)LHD SC and plenty to work with on the manscaping.  I could put some of that red dirt in the sills which Gina Reinhardt loves so much.   Now all I need is to get those hair extensions and the Youtube friendly persona will take care of itself.  Got that handy-cam ready?

An Uncle 911. Got a nice ring to it. Uncle you should do it mate.

It comes down to value vs cachet. Same with a new Porsche, as we all know we (well I don't)  pay an inordinate premium to the govt for the honour of owning a luxury car. But though MW is by all accounts a fine fellow , to me his signature is worth as much as Justin Bieber's on an item of pop merchandise. The celebrity thing is a weird human foible. Unless perhaps the celebrity has a fine skill e.g. Herr Rohrl...

I had a response to this thread half drafted yesterday, but dropped it thinking I was being a little unkind to Mr Walker. I was commenting on his Pelican thread, how I thought it was all marketing and no substance. Normally a build thread talks about the trials and tribulations of a person's car and they can get quite addictive.

Magnus' thread has no trials or tribulations. Questions about details of his build are never answered. Sometimes there's a promo to a parts supplier or two.

I was wondering how Magnus would respond to some of the banter on his PP thread regarding the shock at the purchase price (and, to be fair, some thought it was a reasonable price paid). Anyway, his last two responses ignore the chatter and respond instead with more marketing gumpf - more posts about an upcoming film, or article, or whatever. Still steadfastly refusing to engage in the forum that has probably been his inspiration.

So I revived this response. I'm all for the value of our cars increasing - a rising tide and boats and all that. But this is just a case of a fool being parted from his money.

I reckon that's some of the brilliance of it. Adds to the mystique. If I'm a chef, I'm not going to tell you where I buy my beef or how I cook it (unless I'm Jamie Oliver). Likewise the resto work. I'm not going to photograph all the rust before I get it cut out. Of that $275K, about half of it is bullshit and spin. Pretty pictures, nicely shot video work and sharp marketing & self promotion. Let's face it, Deus don't make a lot of money out of selling the t-shirt. 

Archived