FUEL CONSUMPTION FOR MY 986S BOX FROM SMT

Niko

Just for interest for other Box and Cayman people.

Haven't realy ever done a check on how much mine guzzles, but just for interest after Sundays Cool SMT run with Mark to Alexander through a few twisties but not really pushing it too hard, then returning home via Yea and Yarra Glenn, sticking to speed limits (of course)

Total K's covered   310.

Fuel into tank          31.52.

Equals           10.17 litres per 100 clicks.

or 9.83 Kilometres per Litre.

Happy enough with that.   This is a good site to work out your consumption if your interested.

http://motormouth.com.au/myvehicle/consumptioncalculator.aspx

Hi Niko,

I also had a run o0n sunday, in two parts. the first was a short blast around the back of Warrandyte, Healsville then then Monbulk to finish at Montrose.  Car was running at about 10.8 lt/100 kms after some patches of very spirited driving.

Then later cruised down to Sorento for lunch and back on the pennylink and finished the day with an everage of 8.8 !!

Pretty happy with that...

"course mines just the 2.7lts motor so it probably should be a bit lighter on fuel that your i guess...

BTW how was the run?  I hoping to join one soon if all the planet s are aligned...  ^_^

I think those figures are pretty good, 10.8 for the tougher driving is great.   the cars are quite surprising with the performance for fuel use.

The run was great.   Weather was perfect, and a little bit cooler as we came down from the hills looking at cloud cover below us, it was quite exhilarating.  

My car loves the colder crisper weather.    

I went tail end charlie, which meant I didn't go as hard as the others, and I experimented with using third and fourth more on the tiptronic than my usual flat out 2nd and thirds through the hills.

Bit more braking involved but a lot easier on the old girl (146K on it now) I have decided to give her not so much of a hard time on the SMT's as she gets older.  

Look forward to seeing you on one of the SMT's.   I'm sure you will enjoy and maybe surprise yourself at how good Boxsters actually handle through the bends.

The handling was excellent...

Its an interesting mix, I notice that the arse kicks out VERY easily at u-turns, round abouts etc under acceleration but though the hills it sits really well.

and when it does drift so far i've not felt anything that had me at all worried...

predictable slide or small correction and all is well...

mind you i've really not pushed too hard as yet...  got to learn more first...

My car averages around 8.5 litres / 100 kms...if I'm caning it, the 9.6 litres / 100 kms.  Best ever was 7.05 litres / 100 kms and that was motorway cruising home from Canberra one time.

i was on the same run as Niko (also at the tail end). 

However I was enjoying using 2nd and 3rd on the Tip.

I refuelled about 2/3 of way through the SMT.

Kms 274 , Litres 28.1  equals 10.28 litres per 100 Clicks.

Which I thought was very good for some spirited driving.

As a Daily drive it's usually about 12 litres per 100 Clicks.

Faster is clearly better and more economical!

T, help me out here but I am pretty sure on the Canberra run there was one particular car that seemed to need fuel more than the others! Harvs and JB you might remember too. Pretty sure that car was Yellow in colour ..... :) :) :)

I do recall, standing in 40 degree plus heat outside a service station with no PULP. My memory is a little vague on who required the nectar of the P-car gods but the colour yellow does flash in my memory.

Of course I did have my fuel consumption figures somewhere, but can't seem to find them.

I was however heavily handicapped.

Glad to here your enjoying the fun bits Niko. It seems I am running similar consumption (but not on the sausage rolls).

What is the tank size of the Coxster ? The S2 has a healthy 80lt and the 68 at 74lt.

What tyres do you guys have if the arse kicks out? Mine has the Continental Sport Contact 2's (original 35,000k) on front and 3's (newish 5,000k) on rear. It is very well behaved as far as arse kicking out is concerned, I even tried to get some tail end action in the wet with no results. Might be I need to turn off traction control....

What tyres do you guys have if the arse kicks out? Mine has the Continental Sport Contact 2's (original 35,000k) on front and 3's (newish 5,000k) on rear. It is very well behaved as far as arse kicking out is concerned, I even tried to get some tail end action in the wet with no results. Might be I need to turn off traction control....

Very good question. I have seen some really aggressive driving from the Boxster faithful and this would not often be the case.

on uncle's scotch night I used a tank each way, so 180 litres for 1800 kilometres! (so 23mpg) - roughly, I didn't really brim the tank or anything though

although I normally don't really watch my fuel consumption, I just put more in when it needs it lol

Yes I do remember asking someone, why have we stopped again at a another servo and being told the yellow one needs another refill..... :)

DSCN4610.jpg

Nice try but a bit of Selective memory from you air cooled blokes.    Tallangatta always was a "top up" fuel stop after Bright, and before the Snowy Mountain twisties.   Myself and Harvs topped up for the "just in case scenario"   that got me right through to Canberra,   The above photo is proof that air cooled cars were very very thirsty at Jindabyne.   Whereas the yellow one still had heaps and did not need a drink until we were leaving for home from Canberra.,  

Think it is a case of 6 of one half a dozen of the other.  

Glad to here your enjoying the fun bits Niko. It seems I am running similar consumption (but not on the sausage rolls).

What is the tank size of the Coxster ? The S2 has a healthy 80lt and the 68 at 74lt.

According to the owners manual it says 64 litres, but I didn't actually think it was that much I thought it was a 58 litre tank.   I have just checked on line and that specification site agrees it is 58 litres.    

80 Litres, for the S2 that's a big tank...

Happiness is a BIG TANK.

so quick question to all...

when do you fill up?  I always run my cars down until the light comes on...  for a couple of reasons..

1) if you have a 60ltr tank and always fill it up from 1/4 tank then you really only have a 45 ltr tank. 

2) by using as much of the fuel, all the time, i figure "its all fresh"  

30 i'm often lazy and leave it as long as possible

What about the rest of you?

Archived