Darth Vader's escape Module sighted recently...!!

333pg333

Some crazy fool has built a highly modified 944 turbo racecar and is entered in the World Time Attack on October 18-19th at Eastern Creek. http://www.worldtimeattack.com/  

Not sure what this guy is thinking. Some people just have more dollars than sense. Betting he is fast running out of both.  :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tO_fm-RKvw

post-1135-0-05523500-1379798728_thumb.jp

Nice one! A few of my friends are doing WTA. The rule changes this year put my Zed out of open, plus I don't want to fork out for A050s when I have a stack of Z221s in my garage. Are you racing open or ProAM? 

sorry, have I missed something?

I was just having a giggle at the fact that over 150 views on this thread and only 4 people comment.

If it had been a rear engine build there would be people all over it. Wasn't aimed at you Hugh. Just a light hearted laugh at Porschedom. ;-)

I was just having a giggle at the fact that over 150 views on this thread and only 4 people comment.

If it had been a rear engine build there would be people all over it. Wasn't aimed at you Hugh. Just a light hearted laugh at Porschedom. ;-)

Few - you had me worried.................!

Love the car mate, it looks and goes like a boss!!!!!!

Was this the car that went in backwards at E Creek last year?

More sideways to be pedantic. :-)

That car was v3...this car is v4. By that I mean it came out of the factory in 1986 as a stock 944turbo with 220bhp. (Now it's a mildly tuned 580bhp with quite a bit left should we need it...unlikely!) I bought it pretty cheaply a few years ago as a backup car. It wound up being the main car after some transforming mods were done. That was v2. The rest is history lol.

So this car has been built to do something that no other Porsche in history has done....compete in the annual World Time Attack at Sydney Motorsport Park (can't we just keep calling it 'the Creek?). Not that I think it's a very Porsche format as they won't even allow a 'rear engine car with 6 cylinders or more' in the event. Kinda sad. I went in the first ever event held at Oran Park back in 2007 I think. Am now in it this season and it's still the only Porsche to compete in the event. It's so popular now that they only take expressions of interest to compete and if you pass muster you obtain an Invitation. Somehow we fluked one and we're in Open class. To give you an idea of how fast these Time Attack cars are. A 997 Cup would not break into the 1:29's around Eastern Creek. Alex Davison did a mid 1:30 at Rennsport. The winner of last years W.T.A. did it in 1:25 flat. This car was not long finished before the event and it was on R spec tyres!!! They will all go quicker this year. My class will probably break into the sub .30's too. We were not considering or expecting anything much out of my car this year. It has only just been finished and still needs some tweaks. However, based on our first Shakedown on Tuesday at Wakefield Park we have raised our expectations a little. With no previous tracktime in the car we managed a 1:01.9 on Medium compound R specs and the boost turned down. This is comparable to a couple days prior when the PCNSW competed on a similar Sunny day and we would have come 2nd with that time. The only car that was quicker (7/10's) is Richard Perini's 996 RSR Cup w/ 4ltr engine, Sequential gearbox, brand new Michelin slicks etc...Our own Sean Buchanan did an awesome PB of 1:03.4 in his daily driver 944 turbo. That's better than our time by comparison!

Reference Sean's thread for times/videos.

Anyway, if anyone is remotely interested in the car's progress at the event on Oct 18-19th you can follow their FBook page by searching World Time Attack or go to their site under the same name. There are some seriosly FAST cars in that field. Hope we just have some fun and represent the Porsche badge to the best of our (font engined) abilities!

Pat, you need to stop using the royal 'we' when talking about lap times, unless you have someone in the back operating the weapons system, a lap time belongs to the driver...lol.

Sounds like you will have fun at WTA.

Ha, fair enough Steve although I've made it clear that Paul was the driver of the fast laps in other threads I'd missed it in here. So, yes the builder of my car (Paul McKinnon -Evolution Industries Brookvale) is also a very capable driver. He's actually won National titles in Karts when he was younger. I was amazed at how quickly he just got in and started wringing out really quick times. He did a 1:03 within the first 3 laps and that was in traffic. You could have used a Sun Dial on me by comparison. I did pick up 6 seconds over the day and finished with a 1:06 and shook out some serious Ring Rust! Had to knock a large hairy primate off my shoulders too just quietly. Anyway, I shall continue to use 'we' from time to time. Car doesn't get built without a wallet being opened. :-)

Anyway, I shall continue to use 'we' from time to time. Car doesn't get built without a wallet being opened. :-)

Too true! Probably sounded like a dig, but I didn't mean it that way. I was just having a chuckle imagining your post being read in the Queen's accent and also considering the look of the thing, imagining a second person operating the jamming system and guided missiles ala F14. But, I see "we are not amused"....hehe. You are, of course, a gentleman giving credit where credit is due.

By the way, nothing wrong with your lap times, after more than 12 months out of the car and with a completely new setup. And much wiser to err on the side of caution till you are confident with the car. I am sure you will be able to get close to the limits of the cars capabilities with some more time in the car. Had a good look at the World Time Attack format last night, some interesting cars for sure, and some quick ricers. Did you say rear engine Porsches aren't allowed in the competition? I only saw the rule about certain 'supercars' not allowed in the lower category?

All good in the hood with me...or is that under the hood? I don't take offence easily and knew you were just mucking around Steve.

I have to say that I had worked myself into a sweat by the time I was strapped into the car. So many expectations and also quite a few fears. Sooooo many people said "Looks great, now don't crash this one" Thanks guys...I'd forgotten about that...NOT...lol. To make it more difficult we don't have wing mirrors and there were a couple of Dunlop V8 cars out there who were pretty quick to undertake on the inside. So I farted around looking over my shoulder at the same time as trying to remember how to drive on the track. When this car was way less powerful, heavier and road registered, I managed a 1:04.9 in private practice. So to be 1.5 secs slower in this car goes to show that there were some serious cobwebs to be blown out. Actually when I came in from my first stint, I was so stunned at the feel of the car that I was actually concerned that I'd built a Monster that was too fast for me. Best thing was to go out for 2 more sessions and wiped 6 seconds off my earlier times. Now that nervous tension is just unbridled excitement in expectation of getting back out there again. Overriding all this is the fact that we need to keep it in one piece also. A crash or even excursion now would probably scupper us for Time Attack.

ps...it's an expensive event if you break down the lap costs but it would be good to see you there with your car sometime Steve. Be nice to have some company. :-)

Haha...breaking down the lap costs is always a bad idea. Don't do it!

Actually the WTA did pique my interest and I might like to do that some time. I am busy renovating a house this year, so haven't had time to do much about the car since we moved, but I have been scratching my head a bit about what to do with it long term. I still go back to Dubai occasionally and I kind of wish now I had left it there where I could still run it in some FIA level events occasionally. I do miss the door to door action! The few lapping and sprint days I have done here just feel like practise. But maybe the WTA thing might be fun. At least it is on a semi-decent track with serious competition!

You will be quicker and more confident next time out, guaranteed.  

I'm sure door to door is more exhilarating and agree that sprints are like practise. I like to term it 'qualifying' just to sexy it up a bit!! I can't afford d-d in this country. So just have to molly my coddles by making this silly car and trying to beat the next guy in time alone. Hope to do so for a few years to come. Perhaps against a supercharged QLD'er sometime in the future.

Archived