What is this Boxster Cabriolet and what is it worth?!?!?

Hi All,

I am new to this Forum, this is my first post.

My dad and i have been visiting our local car auctions and every time we are there, we see this Black and Orange Boxster. But it isnt any normal one. This has Genuine Porshe Bright orange wheels, Adjustable Orange Spoiler, And a 'Boxster S' door banner. It has got a teared rood, Bumpers falling of and minor hail damage. Here are some specs;

Build Year

Compliance
06/1997

Make
Porsche

Body Type
2D Cabriolet

Model
Boxster

Body Colour
Black

Doors

Seats

Transmission
5spd Manual

Engine
2.5 L Injection

Question 1 - What is this car? I've never ever seen one, and i cant even find anything similar on Google.

Question 2 - How much are people approximation prices on a car like this?

Thanks for your help in advanced.

James.

Drive Type
Rear Wheel Drive

Fuel Type
Petrol

post-1595-0-81061400-1381308610_thumb.jp

post-1595-0-28065500-1381308613_thumb.jp

post-1595-0-10670100-1381308616_thumb.jp

post-1595-0-09721100-1381308618_thumb.jp

post-1595-0-39344900-1381308620_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum James.

I'm no expert on Boxsters but here's my 2 cents worth.  It looks like a normal early Boxster with some custom paint work.  The 2.5L engine means it is not an S model.  Depending on the mechanical condition, this car would benifit from restoring the paint back to original. including the wheels and indicators.  I also looks like the front bumper fascia is off a 911. They are interchangable.

Make a stupid low offer. If it's been on the auction floor for a while the dealer will be keen to get rid of it.

You never know your luck, it could be the bargain of the year.

Only buy it if you like the look of it.

To get it back to standard you'd need to get rid of the "Boxster S" door script, sort out (replace?) the rear lenses, re-powder coat the wheels and get rid of the orange highlights on the rear spoiler, and replace what looks like a Turbo front bumper bar with a standard one.

And then there's the rather challenging interior trim choices, which I am hoping are more because the lighting and photography are iffy, and not because somebody gave the options sheet to Stevie Wonder.  If it were me - and everybody's tastes differ - I can't imagine a price sufficiently low to make that car attractive.

2.5 litre Boxsters (1997-1999) are bargains.  Plenty performance for the real world.  A few weeks ago I borrowed one for a while, and it blew me away how much car is to be had for how little money.  And because that money now starts at around $15k and will go down still further, it makes even more sense than usual to get the best one you possibly can.  

Thanks for the reply guys! 

Just another question... ( Due to we don't know a whole lot about boxsters ) 

Are things like roof linings, Bumpers, carpets, steering wheels etc. Easy to get a hold of? and if they are what sort of prices would we be looking at?

Thanks for the reply guys! 

Just another question... ( Due to we don't know a whole lot about boxsters ) 

Are things like roof linings, Bumpers, carpets, steering wheels etc. Easy to get a hold of? and if they are what sort of prices would we be looking at?

The difficult bit is the airbag.  It's technically an explosive device, so shipping them is tricksy.

Above and beyond that, there really is no point in changing this car.  It's money you'd never see again.

Bear in mind there is also hail damage and a damaged convertible roof.

As Caver hinted, this car is only worthwhile if you like the way it looks now.

Thanks guys! This infomation is really great! We were expecting dodgy responses, but this is awesome! We are still wanting just a little more info about how long/much it would cost for this to be fixed up as is(Not changing orange graphics/colours).

The difficult bit is the airbag.  It's technically an explosive device, so shipping them is tricksy.

Above and beyond that, there really is no point in changing this car.  It's money you'd never see again.

Bear in mind there is also hail damage and a damaged convertible roof.

As Caver hinted, this car is only worthwhile if you like the way it looks now.

If we were to get it, We would'nt change anything.... Just fix the things that need a bit of work, And we would tow it on a trailer for 1 hour to get to our house. We dont mind that it has minor hail damage/scratches. What kind of work is a new convertible roof? Are they hard to get? Are they costly?

How much do you like the car in its current state?

If you don't like it and want to change it, would you do the work yourself?

If you aren't keen on it and have to pay for all the work to be done, I'd run away and find one you love now. But as a project it could be fun for you.

I'd start at $10,000 - if you don't ask you don't get!

Looks like it might have the Carrera red leather interior! Nice if it does!

Boxsters are awesome. I'm in love with mine, albeit it's a bit newer than this one. But not much!

How much do you like the car in its current state?

If you don't like it and want to change it, would you do the work yourself?

If you aren't keen on it and have to pay for all the work to be done, I'd run away and find one you love now. But as a project it could be fun for you.

I'd start at $10,000 - if you don't ask you don't get!

Looks like it might have the Carrera red leather interior! Nice if it does!

Boxsters are awesome. I'm in love with mine, albeit it's a bit newer than this one. But not much!

Hi Amanda,

Mr Dad and I really like the car in it's state, We like the look of it with a few minor scratches and dents.

My dad has experience in mechanics and panel beating. We went up for a look and dad said all the things he can see can be easily fixed by him at very little cost.

We love the car as it is, and it will be a great cheap-ish car to cruize around in( I want it as im on my learners and love this car ).

you should probably research IMS bearing too

Hi,

I just had a quick(Very Brief) Search on the IMS Bearing, and it seems like it can be an expensive fix. Is there anything i should look out for when i look at the car? ( Are there any visual problems? )

We had a 99 boxster that we had a full respray looked awesome new roof with glass window and brand new coil overs

Then the ims went again and we got 8k trade in and I was happy

Hope that gives you some idea of it real worth

Awesome that's a good indicator about the IMS then. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I just had a quick(Very Brief) Search on the IMS Bearing, and it seems like it can be an expensive fix. Is there anything i should look out for when i look at the car? ( Are there any visual problems? )

You won't see anything. Does the car run? You'd need to pull the oil filter out and expect it for metal shaving dabris to have an idea. Whilst this issue affects a small percentage of cars, the true impact isn't known as Porsche don't release figures on failures.

I have heard that the bearing can make a noise I nearly stages of failure. And cars with more km seem to last longer than cars rarely driven.

The bearing upgrade would be $ well spent on this car. For a independant P mech to do it you are looking at $2k and to buy the kit and do yourself it's approx $900 odd I think. Just remember this is stil a Porsche it all costs $.

Go in to it with open eyes.

At the right price tho, none of this will matter if your Dad can do maint and the engine is strong. Upgrade the bearing and be happy!

We love the car as it is, and it will be a great cheap-ish car to cruize around in( I want it as im on my learners and love this car ).

Better check the drivers licence laws in your state too.  It might be on the banned list for L-Plate or P-Plate drivers due to engine output.

James97, if this one is the first Boxster you have seen and you love it then that is great...  BUT I would highly recommend looking at a few more.

As Justjames said, they are a great bargain at their current entry prices but don't let that fool you on the cost of maintaining them as it is very out of proportion for these early ones if things go wrong.

Caver makes a good point too regarding the P-plate laws.  It would be a shame to learn to drive on one then not be able to cruise over to all the ladies houses once you get your P's  B)

I'll echo most advice.. but if it were me I'd be running for the hills, running like Usain Bolt that is. 

If you like the "look of it" it isn't hard to replicate on another car, some decals and wheels how you desire! 

Archived