Gutted owner watches vintage 911 Porsche go up in flames

f3nr15

that's really sad - part of the reason I've got a fire extinguisher

Would you attempt the use of a fire extinguisher in such a situation? Or would you get the hell out of Dodge?

I figure it would take a few seconds of fumbling to release the extinguisher (probably something to practice ahead of time?)

You wouldn't want to open the engine cover for fear of oxygenating the blaze, so I suppose you'd just spray in through the engine-grill and hope for the best...

Bummer!

Thats why I plan on fitting spray nozzles to left and right side of the engine bay which is linked to an extinguisher in the cabin.

Hit the button and blammo, one ruined engine bay. Fire would be out though.....probably! 

It would save the rest of the car like it did with my Lotus Cortina many moons ago

Knew I should've patented that idea!

Would you attempt the use of a fire extinguisher in such a situation? Or would you get the hell out of Dodge?

I figure it would take a few seconds of fumbling to release the extinguisher (probably something to practice ahead of time?)

You wouldn't want to open the engine cover for fear of oxygenating the blaze, so I suppose you'd just spray in through the engine-grill and hope for the best...

I'd rather try than stand back and watch it burn - also comes in handy if you ever find someone else on the road with a fire

The first photo was very impressive in a disturbing sort of way and don't blame anyone for not wanting to get close.

I wonder if was impressive because the fuel pump was still working for a while after it first caught alight?

Bummer!

Thats why I plan on fitting spray nozzles to left and right side of the engine bay which is linked to an extinguisher in the cabin.

Hit the button and blammo, one ruined engine bay. Fire would be out though.....probably! 

It would save the rest of the car like it did with my Lotus Cortina many moons ago

Knew I should've patented that idea!

The idea has been around for years.  Here is an example I found.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STROUD-SAFETY-5LB-FE-36-FIRE-SUPPRESSION-SYSTEM-WITH-3FT-CABLE-SS9302-/160994202302?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

This is obviously a fixed system which is plumbed to the desired area to be protected.  I would probably carry a portable as well.

Aren't there also fire systems which use a line run throughout the car which is ruptured by fire? Therefore releasing the fire retardant exactly at the fire source.  No need to place nozzles hoping they are in the right spot.

+1 on the portable as a back up

Aren't there also fire systems which use a line run throughout the car which is ruptured by fire? Therefore releasing the fire retardant exactly at the fire source.  No need to place nozzles hoping they are in the right spot.

+1 on the portable as a back up

Quite right Harvs, heres an animation of the system

The remote extinguisher systems have been around since Nikki Lauder nearly died.

It's worth noting the little 0.9kg extinguishers as mandated by CAMS are not particuarly effective so if the fire has gone from small to substantial it will buy you a few seconds but that's about it.

Part of the problem is it is usually fuel running fron the tank that continues to recombust due to the engine area still being hot enough to generate a flash point.  Until the motor has cooled down it will keep recombusting. Dry powder will smother, but won't remove the heat.

Archived