Picking up my 997

Orion03

So I set my alarm for 4.15am to catch the first flight from Melbourne to Sydney. 

Went to bed early to make sure I was rested... but

Tossed turned, slept for what must surely be ages.. look at clock.. 12am. DOH

Tossed turned... 2am . GRRRR

Finally asleep, multiple alarms shriek in my ear!!! it's 4.15 !!! wake up!!!!

Okay ! Get up, toilet, shower, dressed, make sure the wife was moving, (kids had stayed over at grandparents place), kicked the dogs out of the house, fed them early breakfast, bags in the car and onto the airport.

Parked at long term parking.... caught shuttle bus... had to walk to the Tiger Terminal ! Grrr low cost airline.

Checked in.. short wait.. get onto bus.... get onto plane.

Found seat. Hmmm why did I fly Tiger? what was I thinking? yeah it was what $5 cheaper than jetstar.... yeah that $5 took away all my leg room and my legs were touching the other seat. Sigh, well it's a short flight.. oh and there's no room in the overhead lockers .. and my bag can barely squeeze under the seat... but a big shove and it's in.

Plane takes off on time, lands on time.

Taxi to Parramatta ... takes forever..... drivers GPs decides on the slow tour of Paramatta at one point.... left, right, left, right....

Finally ! stop here, we are getting out !

9am and we are there bright and early. Big smile on my face, look around the car park, where is the car?

Finally spot her behind a closed garage door ! There she is !

Salesman walks up, introductions are done, hands are shaken.

More smiling.

We peer though the door at the car, isn't she pretty ! Wife spots a white spot on the left bumper.. smile slips a bit.. what? a Spot? surely it wasn't there before..

Walk into showroom, start paperwork, salesman opens the garage door.

I pull out the camera,

ENG_5219.JPG

Smiles, she's pretty. but yup there's a spot on the left bumper, photos are checked, no it wasn't there before. The detailer is wiping the car clean of dust from the bush fires, nope the bump wasn't there when he detailed the car yesterday.

DOH! someone bumped the car and didn't say ! What? Sigh, too bad we are taking the car anyway

:)

To cheer me up the salesman tells me that he had to replace all 4 rotors when he did the NSW blue slip.. at $1K a piece... more  :)

So I get the car with new Michelins, Pads, and Rotors..  :)

Pics are taken:

ENG_5221.JPG

ENG_5222.JPG

ENG_5223.JPG

ENG_5225.JPG

A close inspection of the interior reveals some flaws:

Apparently that paint on the ash tray just comes off....

ENG_5226.JPG

And the paint on the door handle needs a minor touch up:

ENG_5227.JPG

Nothing to worry about, all minor stuff. But I look hard at the salesman and tell him that maybe it's best to tell people about such flaws before someone flies out from Melbourne, minor stuff, but better if had just shown them to me before so that I didn't get surprised.

Wife insists I take the car for a spin around the block before we pay final cheque.. no way we are ever buying a car without a test drive ! 

Did paperwork, got into car with sales guy, started her up, pulled out. Cleared traffic, mumbled down the road.. made another turn, clearer road, a short stab at the throttle... Wow this is NICE ! Car seems quicker then the other 997's I've driven, engine is SWEET! 

A few turns later and all is fine, she feels great and I am way too eager to get going. Back to the dealership.

Car is parked, paperwork is finalised, sign here, sign there, sign here, hand big fat cheque over. Oh here's free gifts!

Gifts?

Nice set of Porsche pens (carbon fiber?), Porsche Mug (large white ceramic+gold edge), Porsche shirt (ladies), Porsche Cap (black).

Nice.. and a nice Porsche brake caliper and rotor keyring.. Nice!

Finally every darn piece of paper is signed, yes I have Porsche warranty, yes it's like new car warranty. Good.

Shake hands, walk out to car carrying bags, put bags into boot/bonnet well what do you call the front luggage space?

Fixed my phone windscreen mount on, turned on GPs for home. Sat in car, poked the Car GPS into life, put in home address, mucked around with power seats. Said final goodbyes and drove off.

Ah this will be easy I said, just down the road and onto the Hume.

I followed both GPS's (google and Porsche) no worries, turned onto the Hume, great, I told wife to turn the phone off, we're on the Hume.... what.... car GPS says we are going the wrong way? a few turns later in the middle of Sydney Saturday morning rush and we have pulled off the road, and turned the phone back on. Perhaps it's not a good idea to depend on a GPS with 2005 maps.

Ah the phone saves the day we are on the Hume and heading out.... traffic light.... traffic.. more lights.. traffic.... what? I thought the Hume would be smooth flowing but no. Near to Sydney it's stop start and heavy traffic. Sigh, anyway all the lights give me time to fiddle with the controls, GPS, map, Radio, CD, Trip computer, etc etc there sure is a lot of buttons ! Wow the controls for the Bose stereo alone is complex and involved!

Finally we clear traffic, Finally we hit the 110kmh zones ! up on Cruise control, check speedo with phone GPS... car indicates 111kmh when doing GPs 108kmh, pretty good.

We are moving, the miles go by, I fiddle with the trip computer, it says we'll run out of petrol after 200km ? What? 

More fiddling, turns out the last owner drove her like a Porsche and didn't get much fuel economy, as I drive along on cruise control the range left goes up and up. 

Finally I find the reset button and reset all to zero, Range to empty now says 400km, that's better.

The miles go by, the smoke from the bushfires is everywhere, but I smell nothing cause the 997 has filters in the cabin air intakes, no smoke or pollen, my hay fever is at peace, great.

We grind to a halt near Mittagong.... slow crawl, 3kmh, stop, crawl.

Tablet is pulled out, what is going on.... ah one lane closed due to bushfires and back burning.

Crawl crawl, 3km of queue later we past a group of fire trucks with guys back burning. and yeah you can see that the fire had come all the way up to the Hume, with the left side all burnt, and even the center divide all burnt and black. Lucky for us the fires were all out.

Back up to speed, we move along.

Change the CD I said, wife pulls out the CD and puts in another... Error.

What?

CD not recognised...

well eject it then... nope.. no eject? press press nope no eject. curse at CD player.

no FM? Well AM then. Sigh.  <_<

Miles of AM follows, I am getting sleepy, I pull over and the wife takes her out for the first time.

:)  OMG I am driving a Porsche she says,   :)

i take a nap, such comfy seats really.

Okay nap over I start by SMS to the sales guy, CD stuck I said, then a post on PFA, CD stuck, then onto google... luckily I brought the tablet !

Rennlist throws up the turn power off stereo, turn car off, and press eject after a few minutes while the stereo is off idea. Salesman says no idea, PFA suggest brute force and listen to the engine.  ;)

Okay let's pull over and try that, we climbed out of the car, admired the car for a bit, then I get back into the drivers seat and... press eject... pray... YEAH it worked ! the CD comes out.. oh the wife put it in upside down :D  and that breaks the system  :rolleyes:

Feeling great I accelerate HARD onto the Hume, up through the gears, The car is feeling GREAT!

back onto the Hume, miles reeling away.

At one point I see a slow car ahead so I pull out to overtake, WHAT THE ! Dead Kangaroo !  :o

Swerve Left, Swerve Right....  Wow you know, this car is GREAT ! Poised, Sharp, Controlled.

GREAT! A potentially dangerous situation solved with ease. Lovely.

Wife notices something... the passenger door handle is broken... it doesn't pull back hard against the stop like the drivers door handle. Ah well just as well we have warranty I guess.

Hum down the road, time for a snack, pulled off at some rest stop, more pics time:

ENG_5228.JPG

Note the smoke still in the air, smoke fills the entire NSW.

ENG_5229.JPG

ENG_5230.JPG

Back on the road after lunch and photos.

Miles roll by... until we pull off at.. Holsbrook !

ENG_5231.JPG

ENG_5235.JPG

ENG_5240.JPG

Then back on the road with a bottle of V in me... funny I didn't turn into Wolverine.....

Miles roll by, somehow we missed Albury Wodonga ! This Hume bypasses everything ! I can't recognise the road at all! Didn't even know we were in Vic but the speed cameras soon told us we were!

more miles on the cruise control, The car sure in comfortable, remarks are made on how easy the drive has been. 

We pulled in for petrol at the BP just after Wangaratta, car ended up doing 8.6 liters/ 100 km and around 600 km on the first tank of gas.

Finally we pull into the Melb airport carpark, picked up the car, drove home in two cars.

Getting late, arrived home 9:13 pm :

ENG_5242.JPG

Bugs !

ENG_5244.JPG

Too late to pick up the kids, we had a quick dinner and went to bed, I researched the car a bit more.

Turns out we got a really optioned up car. it has:

Sports exhaust

Park Assist

Home link

Bose

6 CD stacker (disabled due to the bluetooth system)

single CD that plays MP3's and WMA

Aftermarket Bluetooth and Ipod system, nice.

Oh and the bloody key ! at every stop when I locked and unlocked the car it reset the seat and mirror position to the last owner ! I never did figure out what to do in the drive home! should have gotten the dealer to tell me before we left.

That night I dreamt of... washing the BUGs off the car.

Must be love.

My Thanks to Porsche Parramatta for a lovely time and a lovely car, I appreciate your professional attitude and the great condition in which you delivered my car.

Now.. to fix the broken passenger door handle under warranty....

Now I know why you didn't type that from your phone! :lol: its an essay! 

Glad it worked out for you mate, and you should have yelled out to me... I'd of picked you up from the airport and ran you guys out to parra.. ;) 

Cool!  Nice car. Some of the things you noted, I've also experienced ie stuck CD!  And picking up the car and seeing it for the first time, noticing a few blemishes that you didn't know where there.  It's a used car, you get over it quick when you start driving around in it. 

It's a used car, you get over it quick when you start driving around in it. 

Agreed, .. but I think I'll have to do something about the ashtray finish, even if I removed all the coating on the top so it's back to bare plastic finish that'll be better.

Hmmm I just can't believe you let your wife drive it on day one......  :P

She paid for 1/2 of it ... she can drive it....  :)

Agreed, .. but I think I'll have to do something about the ashtray finish, even if I removed all the coating on the top so it's back to bare plastic finish that'll be better.

She paid for 1/2 of it ... she can drive it....  :)

They don't cost a huge amount to buy a new one I don't think. I need a new terracotta colored one

For eg  http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99755390200XXX.html?Category_Code=997136cconsole

Or check out this loveliness...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997044800.html?Category_Code=997136cconsole

Obviously for LHD... ask JustJames for a quote maybe?

it's because Porsche go for some fancy rubberised coating over the top of plastic, and that falls off.

My 2006 Subaru doesn't have any marks on it, and neither did my 98 Elise.

Stick to the simple things... they last longer.

it's because Porsche go for some fancy rubberised coating over the top of plastic, and that falls off.

My 2006 Subaru doesn't have any marks on it, and neither did my 98 Elise.

Stick to the simple things... they last longer.

My BMW's had suffered the same problem.. you could buy the replacement parts relatively cheap! As nice as the soft touch plastics are, they're just not as durable! 

The interior centre console is an ongoing issue for most 997. I'm amazed that mine is still as good as it is, but any waches, rings, bracelets etc are a real risk.

In terms of repair options there are three routes.

1. Remove and have it painted in any colour you want. The best results Ive seen are finished in harder eurethene paint.

2. Leather trimming like the optional OEM finish with matching contrast stitch.

3. Whats become very common now is to get it "wrapped" by the same guys who do exterior wraps. Very durable and the ash tray is a simple job.

I am already using my Porsche Warranty !

Passenger door handle is broken.... 

2013-10-23%252010.58.47.jpg

Does not return into position, from a search on the net it's a common and can be expensive issue, so yeah I've booked in the car with PCM to fix.. and I get a free loan car ! 

Wonder which model Porsche I'll get as a loaner.. don't tell me it's gong to be a hyundai or something!

I am already using my Porsche Warranty !

Passenger door handle is broken.... 

Does not return into position, from a search on the net it's a common and can be expensive issue, so yeah I've booked in the car with PCM to fix.. and I get a free loan car ! 

Wonder which model Porsche I'll get as a loaner.. don't tell me it's gong to be a hyundai or something!

Hope you like 4wd's, most likely a Cayenne.

Archived