Re-trimming or replace seats - how much?

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone could given me some insight into replacing or retrimming upholstery in a 911.

I've been looking around for a 3.2 for a couple of months and a white one just popped up in SA. Haven't checked it out yet or spoken to the dealer yet but one thing which is a concern from the outset is the white leather trim. I'm not sure its something i could live with. 

Any ideas how much it would be to change the colour? 

I'm guessing options would be to

1. retrim the existing seats
  2. swap the seats with replacements
  3. buy new

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Rob

You can:

Re-dye the seats yourself ~ $500

Have them re-dyed professionally - ~$1000

Buy a re-trim kit from the US for about $1200 and either do it yourself or pay someone to do it at (a guess) about $500

Have local trimmer make and fit new covers - $2500+

The above is for front and rear seats only.

Hi, i think i know the car you are talking about and as much as I love the interior ( Linen is the technical colour) it does look a bit much with the outside of the car...

Its a bit of a dilemma, you might get a couple of grand selling the old interior if its in good nick but you'd be hard pressed to find a good black interior that was up to scratch... and retrimming is an open question, what grade of vinyl / leather do you want and how original do you want it to look... just out of interest are those door pockets navy or black ?

If they are navy then you'd need to ask if it might clash with the black interior...that is assuming you want black ?..

You can:

Buy a re-trim kit from the US for about $1200 and either do it yourself or pay someone to do it at (a guess) about $500

Hi randall

Any experience with re-dyeing them professionally... do they come out nice soft & supple ?

+1 for embrace the 80s ness - it could always be worse...

Interior+rear+seats1310982303.jpg

I dig the seats made out of Ruper the Bear's trousers, but there's never any excuse for furry dice!

The thing is, these trims are characterful, and when they key in to the (German word alert!) zeitgeist, they just add to the charm of the cars.

When it was new I thought that "Pasha" trim was foul.  Now, in a tidy car...love it!

Thanks for all the responses... Spoke to the dealer today. Although an import it sounds like its in really good nick. Would make for a nice buy for someone who is clumsy with his/her coke.

Cheers rob

You can:

I was quoted 7k for a full retrim by Zag Automotive.

I didn't go to far into it but I assume this was a dash recover, roof lining and the works but it was incoperated with a full respray also so there might be additional charges when just retrimming.

I dig the seats made out of Ruper the Bear's trousers, but there's never any excuse for furry dice!

The thing is, these trims are characterful, and when they key in to the (German word alert!) zeitgeist, they just add to the charm of the cars.

When it was new I thought that "Pasha" trim was foul.  Now, in a tidy car...love it!

German interiors have the subtlety  German Humour. a big fat ZERO or someone is falling down a flight of stairs

where do you think he is now? lol

my 1960 beetle has the same interior fabric (from the same roll lol) as the prime ministers Boeing 707 from the 70s/80s and early 90s lol (you can see it in some videos/photographs online) I should really get it back on the road

Archived