Is it no good to be thinking of swapping the 911 for a new HSV GTS?

teknostar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

teknostar,

Not sure what you have done with respect to the HSV and the GTS but my wife has just picked up a Clubsport till her GTS is being built and it is a heap of fun. Totally different to the 997.1 but at the same time you become a kid again behind the wheel. I think the hoon factor is greatly exagerated when you sit behind the wheel of a grunty V8. The ride is consciderably stiffer than the standard SS but to my surprise I quite like it and the car itself is quite tight and noise free. The rumble of the V8 actually resonates from our basement through to the ground floor even when all the doors are shut to the garage and the house. Drove it to Frankston today and it certainly wants to go and it does :) Second gear pull is fantastic, the one thing you will miss though is the feedback of the 911 steering, the HSV is rather dull, breaking on the otherhand is on par - not that I have slammed them like I have the 991, yet............

I didnt like the clutch to begin with and it has taken a bit of getting used to especially if you are coming out of a 997.1 gear box that is silky smooth, the HSV 6MT aint nearly as good. The fun factor is there though, I am basically lighting up the rear wheels at every set of lights and that is with T/C on, hate to think if I turn it off.

Its actually quite funny my wife gets more strangle looks when she is driving a grunty HSV vs her driving the 991, especially when she is doing the kids drop off and there are tradies in the area, they always do a double take :) Certainly looking forward to the GTS and hope it arrives before March 8 as we could be doing a Sandown track day - I want to take it rather than the 911

Arthur

Don't buy a manual unless you have a really BIG STRONG left arm so  you change gears in that old fashioned gearbox.Oh, and your left leg needs to be a bit on the strong side as well.

lol try driving an 80's carrera

• 4 months later...

I think depreciation on the HSV will be around 15k for the first two years, and then 10k a year from then on, which is probably a bit more than the 997 at this stage in its life.

Maybe a bit more than that as soon as you drive out of the dealership. It would be great at laying rubber, if that's what you want to do.

Well the GTS has finally made it home with the wife handing the Clubsport back today. All I am going to say to Teknostar is that you need to take the test drive the hoon genes will come out and put a fat smile on your face. The magnetic ride control on the car is simply amazing and drives like no other "Holden" I have driven to date bar some of the imported euro products. 

after driving an SV6 Storm for a while last week I was quite impressed. I'd imagine the V8 would make it a much better car (although I was content with 210kw - hard to believe only a few years ago the V8s were only 185kw!)

don't know if i'd swap one for a 911 though

A mate picked up the new VF senator with all the bells and whistles, I  drove it through 10k  of twisties and a few long straights, I reckon for the money you get a well built that car looks and goes supa bloody hard, it also turned very very well for the size of it.

For fun it can also rip a tree trunk out of the ground, i rest my case your honor.

A mate picked up the new VF senator with all the bells and whistles, I  drove it through 10k  of twisties and a few long straights, I reckon for the money you get a well built that car looks and goes supa bloody hard, it also turned very very well for the size of it.

For fun it can also rip a tree trunk out of the ground, i rest my case your honor.

Imagine another 90kW/170nM on top of the Senator and the magnetic ride control - it takes it to a whole new level.

Guest Harold

They are great cars and they should hold a reasonable price due to the sentimental following they have. Would I buy one? Probably not, I had a 2012 C63 before the P car and it went and sounded great but after a while I became bored with the car. I think it is fair to say I find the P car more sophisticated in all the things it does.

They are great cars and they should hold a reasonable price due to the sentimental following they have. Would I buy one? Probably not, I had a 2012 C63 before the P car and it went and sounded great but after a while I became bored with the car. I think it is fair to say I find the P car more sophisticated in all the things it does.

Harold totally agree, the P car - there is no substitute. BUT the GTS is not an ordinary car any more nor is it just a beat up Holden with additional plastic - it really has become a great driving car. I too wouldnt flip the 911 for one on a permanent basis but it will be fun to have in the garage whilst the wife has it (which is only 3 months unfortunately).

Archived