Fess up - who's owned a MX-5 on PFA?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a 1964 triumph spitfire - the kind of british open top sportscar the mx5 aimed to (well, very successfully) bring back after they'd died off, with jap reliability and simplicity etc we all know how the story goes! :D

i picked it up off my neighbour (triumph mechanic) who'd built a 2.7L straight six engine for it, and used fibreglass panels and bonnet.

iWpqs61.jpg

QqRJErb.jpg

unfortunately two years back this happened

aHYQHtP.jpg?1

but i've been chipping away at it so now it's back to this at the moment

3AO9OhW.jpg?1

/end diversion

Oh no clutch monkey - that's enough to make me cry, so hate to think how you felt! Looks like it's almost like new again.

Yes Lee - hairdressers that can drive with good hair!

This hairdresser thing baffles me - anyone into their hair would never drive a convertible, they mess up your hair!

:lol: When you consider most cars that are classified as 'hairdresser cars', such as Audi TT's, MX5's,Honda S2000's and even Boxsters and Targa's, I have always wondered why on earth they would buy a vert!

Funny though, because I know a couple of hairdresser girls that own a Boxster and an MX5!  :D

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ouch.

That is so disappointing, I really feel for you. It was a beautiful looking car pre accident. She'll come back like new I'm sure.

Hairdressers cars, who cares, drive what you like. I'd own that Triumph for sure, I'd own Amanda's Boxster, I'd also own an MX5. B)

It had to be a bogan surely who came up with the term "hairdressers car"

Of the 3 I had my NA 1.6 was my favourite and also the car I owned the longest of any car I've had

mx5555sideon.jpg

It had MX5555 plates - I've never seen it again, if it came on the market. I'd probably sell a watch to buy it lol

NB8B - really hated the color of this car. Was a pain in the bum. Also taught me that I'd never buy a black car EVER.

IMG_2622.jpg

Funnily enough in between the SLK and the Boxster, I looked at MX5s and googled the QTB registration on the green car.  Imagine my surprise when I saw it was for sale!  Funny!  Obviously I didn't buy it cos I didn't like it.

The interesting thing is all the guys (well most) that thump them on the track prefer the 1.6 motor over the bigger one.

Maybe more bulletproof?

Not really sure why it is the preferred one. Strange....

Love that NB8B Amanda, love the green.

My wife tells me I have car cleaning OCD, so I would probably be ok with that colour.

Then it would be perfect for you!  I used to wash it and then see all these foggy like marks on the paint that I put there with the chammy.  Mind you, back then I didn't know what I know now about washing a car.

The interesting thing is all the guys (well most) that thump them on the track prefer the 1.6 motor over the bigger one.

Maybe more bulletproof?

From what I remember, the 1.6 likes to rev more! As for being more bullet proof, they did suffer from a crankshaft issue (short nose crank or something or other)  1.6 is 85kw vs. 98kw for the 1.8.  Also the 1.8 had bigger brakes - funny that the NA8 is the better car with a few upgrades over the 1.6.  So I dont think its more bullet proof as such

Nothing wrong with a good Spitty, even if they are bit scarce these days. One with a 2.7 Six cyl would be a hoot if not scary!!!!

SWLTDF had one in her youth and did Sprints etc in it.

Mazda actually puchased a Lotus Elan during their development of the MX5 and if you compare the two you can see the similarity.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ouch.

That is so disappointing, I really feel for you. It was a beautiful looking car pre accident. She'll come back like new I'm sure.

thanks :) whilst i salvaged the custom driveline and suspension and brakes setup i had in it - i found it a new chassis in a barn in near gympie, rebuilt the shell from one in a shed in victoria (ignore british car owners when they say 'good condition' or 'minor rust' btw..).. i have no idea how i am supposed to register it again!!

in actual fact i very nearly sold all the parts and to get an MX5 instead, knowing how big  a job was ahead, but i couldn't bear to let it go like that!

Maybe more bulletproof?

for me the 1.8 is very much the better engine especially with the mid range or mated to a six speed.

however a bare bones 1.6L car with no power steering is refreshing fun.

a friend had a 1.6, albeit it was turbo very very fast..

XSgM55e.jpg

Nothing wrong with a good Spitty, even if they are bit scarce these days. One with a 2.7 Six cyl would be a hoot if not scary!!!!

SWLTDF had one in her youth and did Sprints etc in it.

Mazda actually puchased a Lotus Elan during their development of the MX5 and if you compare the two you can see the similarity.

very torquey motor.. not outright fast but it pulls effortlessly. 

the chassis is.. um.. i will not be taking it on track, even with all the changes i've made! very easy to see where the mazda has the extra 30yrs development :D

Hairdressers cars, who cares, drive what you like. I'd own that Triumph for sure, I'd own Amanda's Boxster, I'd also own an MX5. B)

:lol: No doubt! 

Doesnt bother me what people drive. I still wouldn't mind a TT for the missus as I've always liked them

I'd get it for her ofcourse!

And whilst they may be great on some tracks , I suspect these are not exactly stock. The entry price for racing makes them attractive though. 

I think the term predates the word "bogan"  :)

Here's one definition , from 2003 . Many , if not most SUVs also fit this definition!

"OK, here is a definition of a hairdresser's car, plus some examples...

A hairdresser's car is all about show. It's about looks, and being pretty. It's about being comfortable inside, and which colours it can be bought in. New fashion colours are ace, but in their absence go for plain red. Or something pastel. Something to set off the highlights. It's about whether it's the new thing on the block, or if it's socially-acceptable because a lot of peers have it. It's about getting a huge amount of visual flash for as little cash as possible.

A hairdresser's car is not about resale value. Nor is it about acceleration, top speed, fuel economy, braking (although ABS, "whatever that is" is good). It's not about whether you can get luggage/dogs/children in the back, or about whether it's reliable, economical and well engineered. Wheel size, style and material is not relevant. Unless the wheels are 'fun', with 'curvy' bits (note that the rim does not constitute a 'curvy bit) that is.

In short then, a hairdresser's car is about style. And more specifically, about style and lack of substance. Substance is actively not desired. This is why a Z3 1.9 is a hairdresser's car, and a Porsche Boxster is not.

Examples of hairdresser's cars:
Rover MGF (not the TF)
Mazda MX5 (although that car's reputation as being a fine handler is causing its popularity within the scissored-fraternity to wane)
Suzuki Vitara
Suzuki X90
Suzuki Jimny
VW Golf convertible
VW Beetle
Citroen Saxo (1.1 in Yellow only)
Land Rover Freelander (3dr petrol)
BMW Z3 (not M Roadster)
Mercedes SLK230
Renault Megane Convertible
VW Polo (in pastels only)
Peugeot 206CC"

The 1.6 in the NA revs a bit more freely and has a bit more character than the 1.8.

However the 1.6 litre motor's are notorious for the short nose crank problem which means that the engine throws its alternator belt on a regular basis, the water pump runs off this as well so it's a recipe for an overheated car very quickly.  From personal experience I would not buy a 1.6 litre MX5 as the risk is to great.

I bought an MX5  a couple of years ago as a cheap way of figuring out if I could live with a convertible, figured cheaper than buying a Boxster and realising that a convertible wasn't for me.

My MX5 was a 1989 Eunos, so it was the very first MX5 with the 1.6.  The car was a heap of fun, there is a very active market in parts and they are mechanically straight forward so you can do all the work yourself.  It was by no means a fast car, however I fitted Eibach shock absorbers, 16 inch wheels with grippy rubber and every cross brace I could get my hands on.  It already had a sports exhaust and with the roof down blasting through Canberra's round abouts was a hoot.

They may be called girls cars, but that's not necessarily a bad thing:).  I have owned many sports cars, and my 911 included, I have never had as many girls approach me wanting to know about the car, ask for a photo with it, ask for rides etc as I had with the MX5.

I ended up selling mine because it was mechanically unreliable and I didn't have the time or space for an engine replacement.  I fully intend to get another MX5 however as they just make you smile every time you drive them.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

In short then, a hairdresser's car is about style. And more specifically, about style and lack of substance. Substance is actively not desired. This is why a Z3 1.9 is a hairdresser's car, and a Porsche Boxster is not.

desismileys_3992.gif

All is forgiven, Tazzie I think I love you again......

desismileys_3992.gif

All is forgiven, Tazzie I think I love you again......

I come from a family of 4 kids. Joshing is a family sport , ..some get caught up by our twisted humour gene :lol:    But remember , as Jeffery Fenech said "I love youse all"

...even if you drive cars beginning with "M"  :)

They may be called girls cars, but that's not necessarily a bad thing:).  I have owned many sports cars, and my 911 included, I have never had as many girls approach me wanting to know about the car, ask for a photo with it, ask for rides etc as I had with the MX5.

So does your GF/wife know this?

The MX5 is a friendly car , a 911 is intimidating to most women. Especially if it's drug-dealer black...

Archived