Fess up - who's owned a MX-5 on PFA?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guilty, 1993 NA 1.8...... Sweet little car, lost it when she was hit by a rather large truck type vehicle when parked......... Another story, but the insurance pay out part funded P-Car 1..... 1984 3.2.........

Had an outing in the UK with a Relatives track converted little beast, ALMOST as much fun...... Certainly not a hairdressers car IMHO........

1.8l nb mk 2 2004

Couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but with bilsteins, RE11 gum balls and half cage it was a track day giant killer. Most track days start with FPV / HSV guys walking the pits doing a kw comparison. They get quite humourless when by lap 4 mx5 is flashing its lights saying get out of the way. Hugely underpowered but infinitely slidable, better handelling than any of the Porsches or BMW M cars I have owned.

Makes me think there could be strong merit in buying a boxter. I am sure even the 2.7 could deal to those rice puddings...

Drove one for the first time a couple of weeks ago, a mate picked a real time capsule 91 model with 26,500k,like a new car and still had the original tyres(since changed) Pretty impressive car and I can see why they have such a following , It`s like my 750gt Ducati. no horsepower,but you can hold it flat without hitting go to jail speeds. lots of fun 

I have a good mate who went out and bought an MX5 as he always loved the idea of a convertible. I think your either into it or not, personally I'm not a convertible kind of guy but must say I do like buzzing around in Vic's MGB - I totally get the appeal as they do provide a great experience.................

Anyway, back to the MX5. So, he had it for some time and loved it however he wanted some more 'power'. He looked at getting an Lotus elise however still was'nt happy with the power given the price etc. In love with his little MX5 he invested a small fortune in getting it super charged (properly!), no mods externally aside from it sitting slightly lower and making a huge bark through the upgraded exhaust - it sounded like it nothing I have ever heard before, sounded amazing. Power was up to just on 120k/w at the wheels in a car that weighted very little, one of the most fun, exciting and yet precisely predicable cars I have ever driven. 

Unfortunately he ended up selling it, I must say I did have a strong urge to buy it, put a hardtop on and some matt black superlite wheels to complete what I would regard as one of the best all round sports cars I have ever driven - alot of fun for the $$$.

Some of you MX5 folk may have seen (or heard!) this getting around, pretty sure it is still in VIC;

MX5007_zps6f006f47.jpg

Huge I got mine on the advice of a mate who used to race 16's (dattos) with me at Wanneroo he went thru the formula Vee thing was a winner there and then got into a series they were having in Qld for MX's, and he went well in that.  Photo below.

I bought a "Laguna Blue" one owner, and it was a great car, but never felt comfortable in it, just wasn't me.   Put the Koni adjustable Suspension on it, Extractors and exhaust, it came with the hard top.   I tried to beef it up as best I could.   Tracked it at the island in club events a couple of times and the car went like a gem... but alas...maybe it was the colour, maybe the car, whatever it was I eventually sold it and got myself into a 2000 WRX .   That one ticked all the boxes, but I was sad to let the MX go.    

thehopesQld4.jpg

It was Amanda, looked more or less stock from the outside. It was evident however once you fired it up that there was something more to this car, then the whine of the super charger made for a few surprised looks (especially from people in the ford and Holden 'super car' variety!).

Archived