1995 RSCS For Sale

Well done, the cards are on the table for everyone to see.

I hope you get want you want for it but are you sure you want to part with it ?

Yes and no. I'm fortunate that over the years I've accumulated some cars (I told Policy and Economics (aka my wife) that I'd buy, do them up and flog them - somewhere along the line the last bit got missed!!). It's the car I use the least and to be honest, the others offer more immediate and accessible fun.

I'm not a collector in the sense of appreciation only by virtue of owning something rare. I like to use the cars I have and whilst far from being difficult on the road, the other early cars are less in your face. It's almost always the last set keys I look for.

Driving it always has me thinking that if it had a voice it would be saying "C'mon, what are you waiting for? Lets go!" And when I do have a crack other than on the track I back off as its very fast and well, not easily replaced.

That said, its a helluva car in its own right that's for sure.

So, ambivalent and for the moment, resolute.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and no. I'm fortunate that over the years I've accumulated some cars (I told Policy and Economics (aka my wife) that I'd buy, do them up and flog them - somewhere along the line the last bit got missed!!). It's the car I use the least and to be honest, the others offer more immediate and accessible fun.

I'm not a collector in the sense of appreciation only by virtue of owning something rare. I like to use the cars I have and whilst far from being difficult on the road, the other early cars are less in your face. It's almost always the last set keys I look for.

Driving it always has me thinking that if it had a voice it would be saying "C'mon, what are you waiting for? Lets go!" And when I do have a crack other than on the track I back off as its very fast and well, not easily replaced.

That said, its a helluva car in its own right that's for sure.

So, ambivalent and for the moment, resolute.

Really nice explanation.

C

Update.

Have had some interest. Not so much push back on the price it seems (but to be fair, no serious back and forth as yet) - more an understandable hesitation on committing that much frieght on one car. Welcome to my world. Have been avoiding driving it so I remain resolute.

Had a giggle at myself the other day. Maxstead Page in the UK have a 3.0 RS for sale and I though "that might be interesting" and asked for the price and suggested the RS in part exchange. They were interested in the RS which is nice. The price. £675,000. OK, let's go to the currency converter ... Oh dear ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I drove it. A lot. Then read some articles about them. Drove it a bit more ...

Keeping it!

When are the chaps (and chapettes ... ) next heading out for a run as I'm going to stretch its legs more often than I have been?

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I've been on.  Update. Sold it.  Had my fun, the money was getting crazy and I was breaking my own rules by electing not to drive it due to its value.  The last run was at a PCV RS and GT3 register run where I caned it really hard but on the way home nearly got wiped out by a Tarago running a stop sign. 

Still, used the $ wisely and bought some other cars!!  

Local guy (Dave on rennlist)  has the only manual '95MY GTS delivered downunder - and the last RHD one ever made.

Mine is a manual but came as an auto. The guy before me coverted it using all factory bits. It's a great transmission.  Also have all the auto bits. Have been tossing up whether or not to refit the auto. Any thoughts would be welcome. 

As an investment it seems factory manuals are the car to have, and from a usability point of view an auto is a better proposition.  But who really buys a 928 on usability basis, except myself and perhaps the esteemed Dr Taz maybe...

As an investment it seems factory manuals are the car to have, and from a usability point of view an auto is a better proposition.  But who really buys a 928 on usability basis, except myself and perhaps the esteemed Dr Taz maybe...

I'm a complete 911 tragic but think the 928 is one of the best contemporary Porsches I've driven. A true GT, it's refined, goes hard and it's got a stonking great V8 under the bonnet. And the AC works!  What's not to love? I bought the GTS because its one of the toughest looking Porsches ever made. The manual I have currently has a short shift which is a bit of a pain when the box is cold. Does anyone know where I could source a standard shifter?

• 2 weeks later...

Love to hear about your '74 MFI - rare bird indeed!

Its a great car.  Driving it at the moment after having it sit for a while.  It's an Oz delivered car with 124,000 km on the clock.  Built May 1974. Its been loved judging by number of an amounts on the maintenance receipts! It was originally painted the Salmon Metallic but in the early 2000's the then owner did a color change to a 76 Carrera color Sienna Metallic. The only other option was the sunroof that's fitted. 

The color change was not just a rub back and blow over but full strip back and rotisserie so its a very permanent change unless I'm prepared to do the same thing to take it back.  I know that some will say its worth it but the current paint job is simply stunning (adding up the receipts for this comes to over 20K (and that's 2001 money)) so I think I'll leave it until there's some trigger to change. It came with the black leatherette interior but has during its life lost its Midnight carpet in the course of a retrim.  It was also fitted with the then optional 7's and 8's.  It currently has the 75/76 front spoiler and rear whale tail fitted but they are coming off.  Whilst it didn't come with it, I've scored an original ducktail so will be fitting that. I've had another locally delivered '74 Carrera MFI that was white and had the PORSCHE script on the sides in orange as well as the 911 "safety stripes" on the bonnet that had the duck tail and no front rubber spoiler and it looked great.  Incidentally, that one had the original RS spec 6's and 7's but still looked the goods.

the current 74 has had a 2.8 conversion with 10.3 :1 compression and from the way it takes a breath at around 4000 I think it will have something like a GE60 cam.  A dyno sheet done after the conversion shows it as having around 245 hp.  In all other respects its standard.

I'm not worried about the 2.8 aspect as I can take it back to the 2.7 as I have a set of 2.7 pistons and barrels from my Peru Red Japan delivered 75 Carrera MFI that I saved after subjecting it to a  little "work" for Group S that included the same 2.8 but this time with 11:1, some head work as well as a fair few voodoo tweaks that saw it putting out a very fat 315 hp and turning to 8000 rpm.  Yes Dorothy, I shuffle pinned a mag case.  Shoot me now you purists!  Everything was blueprinted and balanced to within an inch of its life so it wouldn't shake itself to death at those revs.

I've just spent a year taking the 75 car back to a road car and its now absolutely original and mint but I could not bring myself to change the gear ratios or detune the motor other than to take off the headers and MaxFlo's and fit some SSI's. I had to recalibrate the injector pump as well as whilst racing it was tuned to run Elf Atmomax as my theory was that in addition so it being an oxygenated higher octane fuel, having spent that much on an engine, there was no way I was going to fill it with unreliable pump fuel. Due to its quality and properties it also ran lower cylinder head temps which is a longevity as well as mechanical safety investment. that motor only had a GE 60 cam and other than the capacity change most of the gains were in the injector pump calibration, inlet and heads and headers.

Fitting the SSI's took a fair bit of torque out of it and its now an "emasculated" 295 hp!  Absolute hoot to drive on the period correct 195's and 215's. And it still turns to 8000.  My mechanic stuck a 7500 rotor button in it but I still had the 8000 one so whilst he wasn't looking .... Just what you need for the road ...  It is still more raw than my 74 and I really like the contrasts.  The feel of the things is fantastic.  I've not driven a '73 RS and the word is that the 74 is a touch more refined but close so I can accept all the hype surrounding the '73.

Writing about the 75 makes me miss the race car that it was as it was a terrific bit of kit on the track.  I distinctly remember the day I decided to retire it.  I was racing as an invited car in a group N race at Sandown and had started in around P8 and in a 8 lap race.  I was chasing down a Chev Camaro for the last 3 laps of the race and left absolutely nothing on the table for those laps and clocked what I think was a mid 1.21 in the second last lap.  I barely braked up over the top and got all 4 wheels off the ground over the kerb on the way into Dandenong Rd. 

I caught him on the last turn but his 600+ hp took over and he beat me by a couple of 10ths. I had an absolute blast but on the way home thought that it pretty dumb driving around a suitcase full of over $300,000 in cash if you get my drift.  I'm not one to spare the horses so the odds were shortening for a big one.  I'd already had a GT3 sent to a better place and that hurt in all sorts of ways but that's a story for another day.

Anyway, that's the long and winding response to your question.

Archived