So after killing my last battery after a year of low use I need to get something to maintain my battery

I've been looking at the Ctek XS0.8 - It says it should be for motorbikes etc. but I think it'll be enough to keep the battery going (and the Porsche (Charge-O-Mat II is the previous model equivalent)

Anyone got any other suggestions? Aside of buying a battery charger that I have no real other use for (i'd rather just maintain a battery with something basic)

Russ

I have a habit of killing batteries. To help I have a solar cell on the roof of the garage and if I know that I will not be using the Porsche for a couple of weeks I disconnect the battery, still leave it installed and connect the solar cell trickle charger. It seems to work.

I bought my solar panel off Ebay and it is designed for people that use caravans and camping to keep batteries charges.

Russ,

I got one of these about six months ago from here.  

http://www.12volttechnology.com.au/0-10amp-battery-chargers/139-ctek-mxs-50-12-volt-battery-charger.html

I had the Porsche branded XS0.8 before this but found when my battery did go flat the recycle option on the mxs5.0 reconditioned the battery and for an extra $30 was worthwhile.  They have the XS0.8 for $60.

The guys at 12volttechnology are great and really helpful.  It was the cheapest I could find across Oz.  Convenient too as they're at Lytton Rd next to the Gateway or else buy on-line and have it delivered.

Hi Russ,

I have several Ctek charges (12v-12v + 240v-12v) great products, well made and the support has been exceptional. If you're just looking at it to maintain your battery you should have no issues at all but I would spend a little more and get something that will charge the battery from flat should it be required. Shoot Ctek and email through their site and tell them the battery you have and ask their opinion but from the specs the XS0.8 will have no problems maintaining your battery for you.

CTEK XS0.8 should be fine for maintaining charge as its specifications say that it can maintain charge on batteries up to 100 AH which will be adequate for maintaining a car battery.  However it won't really be capable of recharging a flat or lower power car battery.

If you already have this then I wouldn't bother with anything else. However if you are buying it then I would agree with the others who have recommended buying a better CTEK charger.  The bigger CTEK chargers can do cycle charges and repairs on your battery these will go a long way towards extending the useful life of your battery which is particularity useful on a car that only gets used intermittently.  I bought one a few years ago off ebay from an Australian seller for less than $150.

As said, you can't go wrong with C-tek, they are great. I'd also attack it from the other angle, switch to a dry cell battery as they have a deeper cycle so won't lose charge as much as a normal battery and last a lot longer, although the upfront cost is obviously higher.

I'm pretty sure I have that exact Ctek charger and it has been flawless for me.

http://www.12volttechnology.com.au/0-10amp-battery-chargers/139-ctek-mxs-50-12-volt-battery-charger.html

I've used it on my Optima yellowtop deep cycle and a marine battery for a small boat of mine.  Ctek make great products. :)

I bought the Ctek MXS 5.0 from my local Battery World for $125, and the Comfort Connect M8 leads to hard wire it to the car for $15 - it's a little bit better than what I was looking at (and does an awesome job at reconditioning batteries!)

http://www.ctek.com/int/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

T&D used one to recondition my battery which is rated at 670CCA and is now outputting 830CCA (according to the battery test machine at Battery World which listed it as 'good' and it passed all their tests)

I'm more than impressed!

• 5 months later...

yeah I did CarreraG50's battery with my charger and it brought it back from the dead, he's since bought one too. Bought my dad one and he's revived a heap of batteries with it.

heck, he left a light on and flattened his battery on our last interstate trip, few ours of charge was enough to start the car from dead flat!

Opportune time for revival of this thread.

993 battery has died a slow death due to clutch foot not working correctly!!!

The C-Tek Units are terific I have been using these and earlier versions for years. I got 8 years out of the last battery.

Use these on my 993 and Elan Sprint.

The Best bit is they keep the plates in the cells from Sulfation.

As for the clutch foot a C-Tek unit wont help.... sorry had to throw that in

Graeme

Archived