Hypothetically speaking....

I haven't driven an mx5. I'm sure they are awesome.

I've loved all our minis. Naturally aspirated, supercharged or turbo. All awesome. I'd enthusiastically encourage you to drive one before you make a decision. 

With normal tires (not run-flats) and a thicker rear sway bar there's few things on the road that can turn like a mini.  I'd also say the brick-shape lends itself to being more practical than you think - I've managed to fit four wheels and tires in the back, or two mountain bikes (with a bit of tetris music playing).

Don't discount the super-charged cars either - they are more visceral and still very good.

Though I'm sure they are less reliable and more expensive to repair than an mx5.

Too bad you're in Melbourne - I'd let you have a drive of R56...are you coming to Canberra in March?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't driven an mx5. I'm sure they are awesome.

I've loved all our minis. Naturally aspirated, supercharged or turbo. All awesome. I'd enthusiastically encourage you to drive one before you make a decision. 

With normal tires (not run-flats) and a thicker rear sway bar there's few things on the road that can turn like a mini.  I'd also say the brick-shape lends itself to being more practical than you think - I've managed to fit four wheels and tires in the back, or two mountain bikes (with a bit of tetris music playing).

Don't discount the super-charged cars either - they are more visceral and still very good.Though I'm sure they are less reliable and more expensive to repair than an mx5.

Too bad you're in Melbourne - I'd let you have a drive of R56...are you coming to Canberra in March?

I have driven the S a few times and loved them. Always loved the look of them and enjoy them as a car! I might PM you shortly to ask a few q if you don't mind tit. I also thought the sound of a supercharger might appease me given I'm losing my flat 6.

Peugeot 205 GTI

Oh yeh good idea!

This might go a bit quicker than Niko's custard spoon.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Bluebird-1985/SSE-AD-2459776

Ummm oh dear! I like Nikos better - his has personality and sentimentality. Without that, they are just well...

For sure. Would love to help!

I have driven the S a few times and loved them. Always loved the look of them and enjoy them as a car! I might PM you shortly to ask a few q if you don't mind tit. I also thought the sound of a supercharger might appease me given I'm losing my flat 6.

What's a Z4 going for these days? 

How about an E46 3 series coupe?

If you can find a good one of either then maintenance shouldn't be too bad.  FInd one that has been neglected or thrashed... well, not quite Porsche territory but not cheap.

The only other suggestion to throw into the mix is either a Renault or Peugeot hot hatch thing.  Not really my cup of tea, but a friend had a little Pug GTI thing, and it took quite a beating and came back for more.

What's a Z4 going for these days? 

How about an E46 3 series coupe?

If you can find a good one of either then maintenance shouldn't be too bad.  FInd one that has been neglected or thrashed... well, not quite Porsche territory but not cheap.

The only other suggestion to throw into the mix is either a Renault or Peugeot hot hatch thing.  Not really my cup of tea, but a friend had a little Pug GTI thing, and it took quite a beating and came back for more.

Hmmmm?

1999 BMW M3 E36

6cyl 3.2L

Manual

Convertible

97,000 km

Private Seller Car

For more information on this vehicle please visit:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-M3-1999/SSE-AD-2556824

I've been vaguely looking at these. I think they are probably underrated in the m car world...

Would be a fun drive. Reliability and maintenance might be a a bit more risky than the other cars discussed.

Hmmmm?

1999 BMW M3 E36

6cyl 3.2L

Manual

Convertible

97,000 km

Private Seller Car

For more information on this vehicle please visit:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-M3-1999/SSE-AD-2556824

I've been vaguely looking at these. I think they are probably underrated in the m car world...

Would be a fun drive. Reliability and maintenance might be a a bit more risky than the other cars discussed.

Like the 911 - it's another iconic machine that I've always lusted after on the road BUT I'm not buying something that's going to have me spending $$$ on maint. I still want a P car later. I'm hooked! Getting sided tracked by a diff high value car will just side track me.

I can talk from experience that the M3 is a great car.

Particularly this year as they had the slightly more powerful engine. Agreed, if you were to take it to a BMW dealer then maintenance is on par with the P, however, there are always alternatives such as Autoart or BM Tech as examples and both of these options are much more lenient on the hip pocket.

Personally, if you are looking for economical driving, then stick with your original choice of the MX5 as they received a fantastic write up in Drive when they were first released. At the time, I went and had a look at one and It almost got me out of my M3..

Short term pain for the ultimate 997 gain!

Good luck :)

Thanks P-Kay - there really is some exciting cars available in this price range!

I had another thought this morning -  buy a shopping trolley!  As a keeper, then save save save for that Targa I've always wanted... an SC Targa on club reg would be a very good way for me to have the P car I've always wanted but not be in a  position that I HAVE to drive it. 

After much thought, the 987 will go on Carsales over the long weekend. 

I'm ok with this - I feel good about it, its the right decision financially.

if you are having financial issues... then cost of service and repairs must be considered.

And that surely would point to the Japanese cars? Like the cheaper M3's.... how much if a clutch breaks?

if you are having financial issues... then cost of service and repairs must be considered.

And that surely would point to the Japanese cars? Like the cheaper M3's.... how much if a clutch breaks?

No sh!t sherlock... 

:P

Thanks P-Kay - there really is some exciting cars available in this price range!

I had another thought this morning -  buy a shopping trolley!  As a keeper, then save save save for that Targa I've always wanted... an SC Targa on club reg would be a very good way for me to have the P car I've always wanted but not be in a  position that I HAVE to drive it. 

After much thought, the 987 will go on Carsales over the long weekend. 

I'm ok with this - I feel good about it, its the right decision financially.

Something like this would make a respectable shopping trolley and leave plenty in the bank for a Targa when the time is right

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Polo-2010/SSE-AD-2663480/?Cr=31&sdmvc=1

After now reading through this thread I was going to suggest the same thing. Sensible for the time being and can keep you focused towards getting back into a Porsche as opposed to tipping $$$ into something your not in love with. 

An offer of 16K could almost get you into a 986 Amanda....?

Nah - honestly,  I've already spent IMS $ once and I refuse to do it again! 

Something like this would make a respectable shopping trolley and leave plenty in the bank for a Targa when the time is right

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Polo-2010/SSE-AD-2663480/?Cr=31&sdmvc=1

Nice!  

After now reading through this thread I was going to suggest the same thing. Sensible for the time being and can keep you focused towards getting back into a Porsche as opposed to tipping $$$ into something your not in love with. 

Very true Hugh.   Doing the math, I'm just 2 -3 years off having the mortgage paid off.. so thats no 1 goal... more I think about it, more I don't want another Euro car unless it's a P car.

so maybe Toyota/Hyundai/Mazda trolley

Archived