Hypothetically speaking....

Suddenly you find yourself not being able to own a Porsche any longer. 

You wanted to spend under $16k on the car itself

You wanted a sports car

But it must be cheapish/easy to maintain and parts readily available

You don't drive the car to work or drive it daily for that matter

What would you buy that fits the above criteria?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mazda MX-5. I wish I never sold mine. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, reliable and cheap to maintain. 

That is no 1 on my list as you'll see from my latest reply. 

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/cars/cars/datsun/260z/43970

Use your left over funds for some decent wheels

Oh yeh - I like those!  Also is a good crowd to join up with and a friend at work has both the 260 and 280 BUT he did mention that parts are starting to dry up for these cars, so brake upgrades etc are needed to keep them on the road.  That would look good with  mini lights or soemthing on it. 

I was hoping for serious replies - because it is a serious question! 

Oh I can't agree to that one!  That's not me at all :)  thanks for the input, I am wanting to capture things I haven't thought of.

hah, then you probably won't like Datto 1600 for next choice

I don't know about service costs but I had a Mini Cooper S as a hire car in 2010. The one with floppy paddle shift things. It was bloody quick and fun to drive. Like a road legal gokart. 

A mate has a bog standard MX5 and I was talking to him on the weekend about it. He loves it and would replace it with another one if anything happened to deprive him of his current one.

Yeh I hear ya Steve.. a guy at work has the same model 5 that I have linked to above and he LOVES it.

What about this one

you should be able to pickup an Australian delivered Mk1 Cabrio for less than that, The '93 last of the model runout with the big bumpers and stuff though.

Suddenly you find yourself not being able to own a Porsche any longer. 

I have always wanted a classic shaped WRX. I could find a nice example for 15k I recon. Would be a bit of a mission to find an unmolested version, a bit like shopping for a Porsche.

I have been eying off this one for a while now. If only I had somewhere to keep another car. I need something to drive to and from work.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Subaru-Impreza-1999/SSE-AD-1008333/?Cr=10&sdmvc=1

Does it have to exclude Porsche's?

If not I would be looking for a nice 944. Something like this maybe.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1989/SSE-AD-2632170/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

But if it was for you Amanda and not me then an MX5 makes sense.

you should be able to pickup an Australian delivered Mk1 Cabrio for less than that, The '93 last of the model runout with the big bumpers and stuff though.

Yeh there's cheaper ones for sure!

The MX-5 does tick the boxes. I'm going to drive one this weekend... see how I go.

I've read too many negatives about the MINIs unfortunately. My goal is a car that's fun n cheap to maintain for the next 2-3 years. Mortgage will be sorted by then, which means easier for me to own a P car. Think about it - by then the 997 C4S Cab will be affordable :D

I have always wanted a classic shaped WRX. I could find a nice example for 15k I recon. Would be a bit of a mission to find an unmolested version, a bit like shopping for a Porsche.

I have been eying off this one for a while now. If only I had somewhere to keep another car. I need something to drive to and from work.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Subaru-Impreza-1999/SSE-AD-1008333/?Cr=10&sdmvc=1

Does it have to exclude Porsche's?

If not I would be looking for a nice 944. Something like this maybe.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1989/SSE-AD-2632170/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

But if it was for you Amanda and not me then an MX5 makes sense.

Ooh I hadn't thought of a WRX. That's a nice example too. Although I'd be worried about not having a drivers licence for long :D I could deffo go for one tho! I used to drive an ex boyfriends MY00 and loved it. Loved it! Great cars.

I don't want a 944.

I definitely think an MX5 is a cool choice, I would however suggest you consider NBs as well as NC MX5s.

I just wonder if the NC is a bit too refined and ultimately you will always be disappointed compared to your Boxster where as an NB is a bit more raw and nicely different from the Boxster.

The NB is a bit lighter and has a bit more of that rawness that came with the original while having some of the safety features like ABS and airbags and better A/C. There were three generations of NB, ideally you want a gen 3, but a gen 2 is still good.

You should be able to get a series 2 or 3 with less than 100'000 kms for between $10k and $15k. Put $1k aside for a hardtop so you can lock the car up semi securely and and not stress about. If you buy smartly and bargain well you should not lose much when you sell in a year or two and get your 997 cab.

The roof on the MX5 is around $1,500 new from overseas plus labour of 4 to 6 hours to fit so make sure the roof is strong. Also check for leaks and rust particualry just in front of the rear wheels (this is where the water exist off the roof and the plugs get blocked up and can cause rust. Ideally you want one with a glass rear window rather than plastic.

You could also potententially just manage a Civic Type R for $16k. This is undoubtedly slower than a Golf Gti, but faster than an MX5. Would have Honda reliability and insurance would be cheaper than an MX5 as its not a convertible. I would personally steer clear of Integra Type Rs as whilst they are awesome (I own one what else would I say!!) they will almost certainly have high kms and have been driven quite hard and the cost if something goes wrong is horrific. The Civic as it is newer will have lower kms. Will be practical and reliable however residual will almost certainly lower than an MX5. Well engineered car a bit more serious than an MX5 but will still bring a smile to your face as you blast through round abouts and keep WRX drivers honest through the twisties. It has a much more high quality interior than a WRX and will be much cheaper in fuel, insurance and servicing.

$15k would also get you a Nissan 200sx with less than 100,000 kms. However because its Turbo insurance will be higher. Having said that its rear wheel drive, has 200bhp plus, very tunable and nice looking. Not that many in your price range but they are there if you are serious and shop around so to speak.

I definitely think an MX5 is a cool choice, I would however suggest you consider NBs as well as NC MX5s.

I just wonder if the NC is a bit too refined and ultimately you will always be disappointed compared to your Boxster where as an NB is a bit more raw and nicely different from the Boxster.

The NB is a bit lighter and has a bit more of that rawness that came with the original while having some of the safety features like ABS and airbags and better A/C. There were three generations of NB, ideally you want a gen 3, but a gen 2 is still good.

You should be able to get a series 2 or 3 with less than 100'000 kms for between $10k and $15k. Put $1k aside for a hardtop so you can lock the car up semi securely and and not stress about. If you buy smartly and bargain well you should not lose much when you sell in a year or two and get your 997 cab.

The roof on the MX5 is around $1,500 new from overseas plus labour of 4 to 6 hours to fit so make sure the roof is strong. Also check for leaks and rust particualry just in front of the rear wheels (this is where the water exist off the roof and the plugs get blocked up and can cause rust. Ideally you want one with a glass rear window rather than plastic.

You could also potententially just manage a Civic Type R for $16k. This is undoubtedly slower than a Golf Gti, but faster than an MX5. Would have Honda reliability and insurance would be cheaper than an MX5 as its not a convertible. I would personally steer clear of Integra Type Rs as whilst they are awesome (I own one what else would I say!!) they will almost certainly have high kms and have been driven quite hard and the cost if something goes wrong is horrific. The Civic as it is newer will have lower kms. Will be practical and reliable however residual will almost certainly lower than an MX5. Well engineered car a bit more serious than an MX5 but will still bring a smile to your face as you blast through round abouts and keep WRX drivers honest through the twisties. It has a much more high quality interior than a WRX and will be much cheaper in fuel, insurance and servicing.

$15k would also get you a Nissan 200sx with less than 100,000 kms. However because its Turbo insurance will be higher. Having said that its rear wheel drive, has 200bhp plus, very tunable and nice looking. Not that many in your price range but they are there if you are serious and shop around so to speak.

I've had 2 NBs before. NB8A and a NB8B. I prefer the idea of an NC due to the larger size and exterior styling. I've read all the differences relating to handling but think I'd still prefer the newer car. I'll deffo check out both. Maybe drive an SE ;)

Hadn't considered Honda, like the MINI I just remember them being expensive to maintain. I've also not been a huge fan of the designs of Honda in the last 10 or so years.... I'll have a look tho, I'm open to ideas.

200SX is a good looking car. I wonder how many are around unmolested tho.

EDIT - I'm also trying not to own a car I've already owned!

Archived