how long does the tiptronic transmission last on 996/997 ?

acid_rider

:DCongrats on the car Craig. All normal and in usual driving 1st is a very short gear, totally unecessary. Now if you want some fun, just push those silver buttons on your wheel sometimes, and for more fun move the stick to man and push the silver buttons some more, and don't spare the ponies! And with sports Chrono there's even more fun to be had in man mode;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:DCongrats on the car Craig. All normal and in usual driving 1st is a very short gear, totally unecessary. Now if you want some fun, just push those silver buttons on your wheel sometimes, and for more fun move the stick to man and push the silver buttons some more, and don't spare the ponies! And with sports Chrono there's even more fun to be had in man mode;)

Thanks Sandy saturating myself now with article after article about the pdk vs tip havent even gotten into the sport mode button yet. This is the problem when you buy a car in another state and its shipped to your door I have no idea of what Im doing but it is fun so far.

My 996 tippa  always starts in 2nd when in auto mode as per owners manual info and will quite happily stay in 5th where it can unless given a nudge with the right foot.

Thanks Rod sounds like I really dont have any tranny issues after hearing from people, nice to hear TY.

My 996 tippa  always starts in 2nd when in auto mode as per owners manual info and will quite happily stay in 5th where it can unless given a nudge with the right foot.

sounds like a Mercedes-Benz designed gearbox, they're renown for starting in second gear unless you really tramp the throttle.

If anything an Automatic gearbox is much better for your engine, as there is a fluid coupling between the engine and gearbox so the engine isn't stressed as much as it would be with a direct connection through a clutch.

I think with regular servicing there's no reason the tiptronic box won't last a long time

sounds like a Mercedes-Benz designed gearbox, they're renown for starting in second gear unless you really tramp the throttle.

If anything an Automatic gearbox is much better for your engine, as there is a fluid coupling between the engine and gearbox so the engine isn't stressed as much as it would be with a direct connection through a clutch.

I think with regular servicing there's no reason the tiptronic box won't last a long time

TY Rod, it has been a fun few days of driving it wont see the snow though.

ZF actually

Not so much nowadays with lock up torque converters which eliminate slip.  They are no longer "slushboxes". However agree a Tip makes it is difficult to overrev the engine which does save wallet stress as well.

Agreed 

Just to clarify, ZF actually make the Tiptronic transmission and other transmissions for Porsche and many many other car manufacturers around the world including MB and Ford Falcon range here.

Your car salesman is living up to the unfortunate stereotype of a car salesman on at least two points of fact.

Should you believe him on anything else? (rhetorical question that doesn't need a response.)

actually MB stopped using ZF trans and started building their own.  The early versions of these were problematic and led to plummeting quality ratings for ml and e class models.

the 996 does use a ZF trans, which is shared with BMW, vw and Audi.  Despite the fancy name, it is a traditional slusher and not to be confused with a PDk/dsg 'flappy paddle' box.

Yeah I realise this thread was dragged up from the dungeon but pedantry can never rest.

actually MB stopped using ZF trans and started building their own.  The early versions of these were problematic and led to plummeting quality ratings for ml and e class models.

Yeah I realise this thread was dragged up from the dungeon but pedantry can never rest.

Really, I though MB only used ZF manual gearboxes and not autos and only used Borg Warners autos in the early 60's before moving fully to their own design automatics?

None of this affects Craig in his 997 and its most excellent Tiptronic but agree a bit of pedantry is fun.  

I think you might be onto something with the Borg-warner trans.

Porsche developed the tip with ZF and they got exclusive access for years before BMW could use it.  My BMW is a 'tiptronic' which goes under the name of 'steptronic'.  Same basic box though.  It did need an oil and filter change despite 'filled for life'.   Still shifts sweet and heading towards 20 years old.  I ha d an earlier non-tip BMW and the box in that got very tired.

the 996 does use a ZF trans, which is shared with BMW, vw and Audi.  Despite the fancy name, it is a traditional slusher and not to be confused with a PDk/dsg 'flappy paddle' box.

True, in the 60's. As far as I know all Merc trans since then have been their own design. The 996 had a MB auto up to 2005, not sure what the 997 uses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Daimler_AG_transmissions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_5G-Tronic_transmission

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_7G-Tronic_transmission 

I know way off an old topic :P

We are now up to 9 speed auto!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_9G-Tronic_transmission the 7 speed in my ML is TOO many.....

Oh, in answer to the original question, no idea, although if it was a MB box then a very long time......

in the 993, it always starts in second if the stick is in drive. Put the stick down one gear and it starts in first. 

Yes, and it makes a lot of difference to how the car drives.  Ideal for town or spirited driving.  Wish someone had pointed this trick out earlier in my ownership.

The start in second thing is to improve economy.  Does make the car feel sluggish - stupid idea I think.

in my car the zf box hangs onto low gears for ages when it is cold.  Supposed to warmt he oil up faster I think.   Also makes the car feel broken.

You can manually change it up if you like? My ML will.

"The Mercedes Benz 722-series automatic gearbox is calibrated to take off in second gear to reduce "creeping" and provide a smoother ride. The transmission will select 1st only if the selector is in "2" or in case of abrupt acceleration" and every MB box since and all before as well. My '66 w108 started in second too.

Adam,

I thought the 996's and Boxter's used ZF 5HP19's?  Mmmmm, maybe I owe Russ an apology?

Actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP_transmission

in my car the zf box hangs onto low gears for ages when it is cold.  Supposed to warmt he oil up faster I think.   Also makes the car feel broken.

Lol, I think the same and then realise the engine is cold and it's just trying to heat the cats up quicker and then I relax as I realise my wallet is safe....

My previous 997.1 turbo used a MB auto. Had a small oil leak and whole transaxle was replaced under warranty. I was told it was a 30K item. While they might last a while I wonder who can rebuild them in AU or if you could even get the parts.

From what I have been told last time at my MB dealer for my previous car (97 E320) Mercedes no longer repair items, a problem with a diff, gearbox, engine then they simply install a new complete unit! I was quite shocked, especially at the $5k cost for a new diff centre due to a slight diff whine.... going by that I would say not in aus!

• 3 weeks later...

How long (distance or time or both) do you expect Tiptronic automatic to last before a rebuild, on model 996/997 cars??

If the worst happens - approximately what sum of money is required to rebuild this Tiptronic transmission??

is there anything else I should be aware of when owning Tiptronic model 996/997 car?

my car is an 2002 996 C2 and only needed a rebuild in 2015 with 85,000kms

it cost $4500 by CATS in Rosebery and they were surprised to see one. They said they are near bullet proof and I was just unlucky. Anecdotally I was told the C1s were plagued with issues.

I was originally wanting a manaul but I have been pleasantly surprised by the tip auto.

• 7 months later...

Can you manually change it up if you like? My ML will.

"The Mercedes Benz 722-series automatic gearbox is calibrated to take off in second gear to reduce "creeping" and provide a smoother ride. The transmission will select 1st only if the selector is in "2" or in case of abrupt acceleration" and every MB box since and all before as well. My '66 w108 started in second roo.

The one exception to this is the transmission in the 450SEL 6.9. It's a Detroit (from memory) 3 Speed that starts in first

The one exception to this is the transmission in the 450SEL 6.9. It's a Detroit (from memory) 3 Speed that starts in first

Not sure what you base the "Detroit" transmission use from, but as far as I know Mercedes only use their own transmissions, and all of the early V8 transmissions (except the mighty 600) were an older 3 speed design to cope with the extra torque of a V8 - the same one they used in 928s up until 1984.

Mercedes "collaboration" with Detroit started with the recent and now defunct Chrysler "merger".

As a point I took off in my car today, just normally and it definitely started in first.... something I think it mostly does....

I'm no technical expert mate, but everything I looked into when I bought mine said the Tipper was one of the best engineered components on the car.

If my info is correct I think it's a Merc box originally.

it's a ZF box that Porsche co-developed with them.  BMW, Mercedes, vw,Audi and even Ford also used them.  Mercy sometimes do their own trsns though, but the Porsche tip is not one of them.

Whoops look at that I answered the same thing twice 

Not sure if Porsche specifies fill for life but just opened a 200k ZF auto and the oil was like bad sump oil and the filter was sludged up.  Hard to say what the ideal service life is but I'd be getting it done every 100k.

The internet the perfect place to muddy the waters.....

Ok, from a little more research, aka internet browsing (so take that as being as accurate as... ??!)

From Stuttcars, usually they have good info and may be the most "accurate" answer yet..... https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/911/996/ about half way down.

"If you have driven the 996 Turbo with Tiptronic, you have noticed the car is not so bad compared to the manual transmission version as the 996 Carrera Tiptronic is compared to the manual. Your feeling doesn't lie - the Tiptronic in the Carrera is built by ZF, while the one in the Turbo comes from Mercedes-AMG (just that it has a shaft for front drive plus an external oil cooler). The MB 5G-Tronic has 250 shift programs for different driving styles and conditions while the ZF Tiptronic in the Carrera has 5. With quicker gas pedal action, the transmission responds by raising shift points to hold each gear longer for crisp response and power. The Mercedes-AMG gearbox has 2 reverse gears. When you start to drive with the cold engine, 1st forward and 1st reverse gears are used to quickly warm up the engine. With the warm engine the car moves away in second as well as it uses 2nd reverse gear when driving backwards."

So the standard Carrera may have a ZF and the Turbo (possibly C4 as well?) has an MB box.... sounds plausible... :)

Archived