Gday , name's Bruce!

tazzieman

I think it looks cool - reminds me of a Lotus Europa, another dream car of my childhood along with a Muira, 928 and 911!

You are correct ... rear view definitely Europa-like! The Europa was a lad's dream ; this from the I Spy Book of Cars I nearly completed as a 10 year old (never saw a Miura though...)

IMG_4481.jpg

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

911 & Porsche mag May 2000 ; YMMV - and the latest 991 has that heavy luxury GT feel. 

The article starts by defining a GT car and states ...

"The Porsche 928 is one of the few. Traditionally, the 911 never was a GT, but is it now?" The comparison is between a 996 and a 1991 S4 (78,430 miles), both autos. "The 928 feels as solid as the day it left the factory. In fact, the engine might actually be at its peak."

The test is done in two stages, motorway and twisty bits.

"Once the first stretch of dual carriageway is insight, the V8 engine finally has the chance to shine."

"This is clearly the 928's natural habitat. At these higher speeds the car feels remarkably stable, the sharp steering still has reassuring weight, and the engine is spinning lazily and quietly at around 3600 rpm."

"There is a real sense of occasion when driving a 928, which is subtly different from that of the 911." .. after only a couple of hours, I was beginning to want a 928. Badly.

"The 928 only begins to feel like a 320 bhp car above 80 mph, when it begins to transform into something really impressive. At such speeds the 911 becomes susceptible to crosswinds, ... generally demands more of your attention. The front engined car, on the other hand, remains relaxed and quiet, seems little different in straight-line stability, and its steering now feels perfect.

Now for the twisty bits.

"The 911 was made for roads like these... The 928 will perform similar tricks, but with a different attitude. You feel as if you're forcing the car (928) to do something it would rather not. The 911 conversely comes alive with such treatment.

'Before long (in the 911) you are carried away in a tide of adrenalin and the 928 is gently receding in your mirrors. But after an hour or so of this, you are mentally exhausted and ready for a break.

"It is plain, therefore, that the 928 has all the qualities of a true GT, while the 911 has merely varying degrees of them overlaid on a sports car.

"(The 928) has the most comfortable interior, the better seats, the quietest manners plus a greater weight to smother whatever the road throws at it.

I love those drag times. So what are your thoughts for a 928 engine, supercharger or turbo?  I know there are 100's of different low pressure, high pressure, etc turbos, but it seems that supercharging is the most common on the 928 (works well with the grunty V8 and that i guess)

I love those drag times. So what are your thoughts for a 928 engine, supercharger or turbo?  I know there are 100's of different low pressure, high pressure, etc turbos, but it seems that supercharging is the most common on the 928 (works well with the grunty V8 and that i guess)

Supercharging is popular in the USA where drag racing (+/- off the lights) is popular.

The torque curves will be different. Fuel efficiency might be a factor for anything permanent , plus extra engine noise.

The TT setup would be quite stealthy methinks!

So anyway, the good wife had use of my beloved GTS for about 80-90km of urban activities yesterday.

"So did you enjoy driving it?"

"Well it likes to be warm doesn't it, when it's cold it's not quite as responsive.  I'm not sure how I'll go back to my wagon (F11 Bimmer), the steering was so precise and it's not light and lifeless.  It's very comfortable."

Conclusion; Married well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived