Gday , name's Bruce!

tazzieman

Thank you very much for your insight. It is much appreciated. In my early days of working out which car to get I did drive an '86 928 and loved the shape but was underwhelmed at the time with the drive but suspect it was the car and the short period of time that I drove it. Recently the later model S4 has appealed so I was interested to get your thoughts on each model. 

Thank you again.

Steve

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a short précis, what exactly are the defining differences between S, GT, GTS, S2 and S4?

Is it just different packaging of the same basic concept, or is it a difference in tune and setup  (i.e. C2 vs GT3)

16 valve vs 32 valve engine  , later cars L Jetronic /ABS/airbags/more electronics i.e. "modern" feel. Cars got heavier too , same with 911s in that regard.

Other than that , you'll just have to do the reading http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/Evolution/The%20Porsche%20928%20history.pdf

Some want the luxury feel , others the sporty feel. The manuals are hard work around town. The 928 was an autobahn stormer (best above 120km/hr) thus a waste of time as a CBD daily drive. 

The cars are no slouches, but obviously the youngest is 20 years old now.

As with 911s there are many options for customising the performance. But the factory did pretty well. You can scare yourself silly on twisty roads and live to tell the tale.

One other thing which I was warned about , it takes several months to really get a feel for this model. First impressions can be as Steve F experienced , underwhelming. Don't discount the fact that some cars may not be in an optimal state of tune. e.g. The L jetronic injectors are getting pretty old nowadays and hard to replace. 

Many Rennlisters greatly prefer a 928 to a 911 , but they are totally different cars. Horses for courses,  and the best approach is to own one of each  :)

Yes it's interesting to reflect back and see how many common technologies first appeared on a Porsche. I didn't know the 928 was the first to have speed sensitive power steering , for example. There are many others mentioned in that article.

What is also interesting is that GT cars - while well respected and loved by many - don't seem to attract a big following in comparison to other sports cars and muscle cars. It's not just the 928 - 6 series BMWs, Mercedes SLs - even Jag coupes - they all seem to fall into the 'yeah, they are nice but I wouldn't buy one'.

Sure, there is still a big enthusiast following of each of my examples, but you don't see fawning at auctions and that type of thing, like you do with some corvettes made 911s.

A 928 will leave 

What is also interesting is that GT cars - while well respected and loved by many - don't seem to attract a big following in comparison to other sports cars and muscle cars. It's not just the 928 - 6 series BMWs, Mercedes SLs - even Jag coupes - they all seem to fall into the 'yeah, they are nice but I wouldn't buy one'.

"I wouldn't buy one" means "I cannot afford the repair builds on sophisticated old luxury cars (that I cannot repair myself)"

The  928 is in a different league from the equivalent machines above and will leave them for dead in every way.

Yes I too considered the GT alternatives - even a V8 Aston! But the 928 wins on better handling and entry price  :)

The central warning system for the 928 was copied from DeHavilland But not this one article-1193489-055DCE1B000005DC-672_468

This one de-havilland-canada-e-9a-widget.jpg

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/porsche-928-gts-end-front-engined-debate

for now it addresses the main downside of 928 ownership: as with all Porsches, maintenance and repair can prove costly. But for most, the refinement, looks and pedigree it offers in return will do enough to justify a wince-worthy bill every now and again. Perhaps even the rear-engine die-hards will come around one day, too.

How anyone at Porsche ever dreamed, no matter how wildly, that the 928 was a replacement for the 911 boggles the mind...

Now, a few days into 928 possession and comparing it to my 964, they are truly different beasts, both feel like a Porsche, solid, planted and sharp (well, 928 sharp'ish).  One is a slightly rabid dog the other a thoroughbred racehorse, both with four legs but that's about it in common.

One other thing which I was warned about , it takes several months to really get a feel for this model. First impressions can be as Steve F experienced , underwhelming. Don't discount the fact that some cars may not be in an optimal state of tune. e.g. The L jetronic injectors are getting pretty old nowadays and hard to replace. 

Many Rennlisters greatly prefer a 928 to a 911 , but they are totally different cars. Horses for courses,  and the best approach is to own one of each  :)

The 928 is now having a thorough once over, zeroing the service situation, doing it all at once, belts the lot.  It'll be a big invoice and should deliver a "new car".

So far it is actually a little underwhelming particularly after stepping our of the 964, although variety is the spice of life.  Looking forward to getting to know it once it's been zero'd and servicing is up to date.  I'm sure it's qualities will become appreciated over a little time shared.

You have to stick the boot in , listen for Thor's hammer - and hang on  :)

It is both blunt and sharp.

Will be interesting to see pics and share experiences. Even amongst 928s , the different years have different characteristics.

Have any of you guys driven the bmw e39 540? It's my only driving reference point for that generation euro v8.

I remember that having a sort of smooth and creamy power delivery. Oodles of torque but still very refined. In stock form is quite quiet. Velvet hammer if you will...

In my mind the 928 donk might be similar. Would that be a fair comparison?

Have any of you guys driven the bmw e39 540? It's my only driving reference point for that generation euro v8.

I remember that having a sort of smooth and creamy power delivery. Oodles of torque but still very refined. In stock form is quite quiet. Velvet hammer if you will...

In my mind the 928 donk might be similar. Would that be a fair comparison?

Sort of , but not with my non-stock exhaust. I had to tone it down , but it is still scaring elderly people , small children,  animals and V8 ute drivers.

Just puts a big smile on my face , even with gentle pushes of the pedal. Big push = loud snarl. Do not feed the animal  :)

How anyone at Porsche ever dreamed, no matter how wildly, that the 928 was a replacement for the 911 boggles the mind...

Comrade,

I don't think it was the case of a "replacement" as such for the 911.

I think it was the case that they had all their eggs in one basket and they were trying to reduce their risk exposure in US market in particular in the event that the 911 was legislated out of existence due to noise/emissions being air cooled and being rear engined there was a risk that it may face a similar fate that beset the Corvair.

So what better risk strategy than to do something the completely opposite to the 911 - front engine, water cooled and passive steer rear end!

True Peter , and they were on the ball only 6 years after the 911 was brought out.

It was an era of major change in the auto industry , not to mention politics at Porsche as the family divested themselves of directorship.

Here is a page from a recently discovered Porsche engineer's manual ; waiting for a rennlister to scan the rest

928%20RampD2.jpg

In March 1981 , Stirling Moss & Phil Hill (proper drivers eh what) reviewed 15 cars in a million dollar shootout.

The cars were:

Porsche 928 & 924 turbo

BMW M1 & 633 Csi

Pantera

Countach

Ferrari  512BB &308GTSi

Merc 380SL

Aston Martin Volante

Corvette

Manta

Lotus Esprit

Jaguar XJS

DeTomaso Longchamp

There can only be one "winner"   :)

PM1.jpg

PM2.jpg

PM3.jpg

I kinda wanted a Longchamps a while back. I'll dig into the article further.

The 928 wasn't the fastest in the test , but it had the USA strangled 240hp engine cf the 300hp ROW one.

edit: Stirling not so happy with the DTL and amazingly it was twice the price of the 928.

longchamps.jpg

Archived