Gday , name's Bruce!

tazzieman

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all complicated compared to modern cars! But not a sewing machine either.

How are the cam gears looking?

All is looking good.  Big solid bits'n'pieces are all in great condition. But as usual signs of previous activity completed in less than optimal manner are evident.  Idiots who simply didn't re-attached brackets and holders as they were apparently too difficult to access, poorly refitted seals and hoses etc.  These certainly are not cars for d!ckhe@ds to work on.  Later this week she should be soundly and thoroughly refreshed and back to her best.  Report to follow.

These certainly are not cars for d!ckhe@ds to work on.  

Independents who work on 911s are not necessarily qualified to touch these engines. And most dealers won't even see them , let alone have old skool mechanics who can read the factory manuals.

The advice is to follow the factory word to the letter , use quality parts (including bolts) and not skimp on TB ancillaries (rollers , seals etc). It's never the timing belt's fault, it's always the stuff that it relies upon - incl owner and mechanic!

People who maintain the correct level of service report these cars are "utterly reliable" and wear out - but don't break. 

I kinda wanted a Longchamps a while back. I'll dig into the article further.

The 928 wasn't the fastest in the test , but it had the USA strangled 240hp engine cf the 300hp ROW one.

edit: Stirling not so happy with the DTL and amazingly it was twice the price of the 928.

longchamps.jpg

I'll be driving with a mate in his newly acquired Longchamp this weekend.  We'll see if the 100mph vibration is still a problem.

I always thought Wolfgang Mobius was the primary reason the 928 looked the way it did but I think Tony Lapine may have had a bigger role.

Tony was a body engineer on the Corvette who worked in the styling section in the fifties and sixties before he left GM to lead the design section for Porsche in 1969.  While there, Chevrolet developed a concept car called the "Twin Rotor" Corvette.  As you probably guessed it was a Wankel engine mid engine car built on,....wait for it... on a Porsche 914 floor pan!

If you have a look at this car, I think we see the beginnings of a 928: http://www.corvettes.nl/gm_prototypes/xp897/

It is also reported that the AMC Pacer also influenced Lapine's work on the 928 too:

http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/amc-pacer-history/

The 928 was definitely designed to suit the US market , even though it had speed limits 50% those in Germany!

The Pacer was an influence for sure but then again everyone was looking over everyone's shoulder back then. I see many influences. One of the design problems was that Porsche never had radiator grilles ; to suit the low front end the V8 had to be carefully designed , and cooling was a special problem given the tight engine bay.

That Corvette looks horribly cramped.

The 928 is such a comfortable beast , it's like travelling business class compared to the economy of the 911.

Saying that , I'm not one for life's soft luxuries -  but with the shark I make an exception!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The acknowledged (Vic) master of all things 928 electrical has my car atm.  He's ripping out 2 old immobilisers, myriad stereo wiring and rectifying 'works' (incursions) previously undertaken.  His comment; the worst thing about a 928 is usually the last guy who worked on it.  And; people wonder why they catch fire.

Main wire into fuse box stressed and pushed hard, almost ripping it away from it's connectors by the last guy to muck about and stuff stereo wiring under the floor boards. Piggy backing everything willy nilly...

These cars require good stewardship. 

Beware kids! 

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the Tasmanian, he has been very quiet of late, which is VERY unusual....

Land of the Long White Cloud , standing in glacial lakes next to icebergs, flying very close to mountains , that sort of thing.

Missed my shark , badly.

It is a truly great car.

A kinda work colleague asked last week; "why did you buy the worst Porsche ever made?"

I belly laughed and walked off. 

brera2.jpgHe drives an Alfa Brera. 

A kinda work colleague asked last week; "why did you buy the worst Porsche ever made?"

I belly laughed and walked off. 

He drives an Alfa Brera. 

In 5 years time when you're enjoying your investment and his Brera thingy is worth as much a used laptop , you can have another snigger.  

The acknowledged (Vic) master of all things 928 electrical has my car atm.  He's ripping out 2 old immobilisers, myriad stereo wiring and rectifying 'works' (incursions) previously undertaken.  His comment; the worst thing about a 928 is usually the last guy who worked on it.  And; people wonder why they catch fire.

Main wire into fuse box stressed and pushed hard, almost ripping it away from it's connectors by the last guy to muck about and stuff stereo wiring under the floor boards. Piggy backing everything willy nilly...

These cars require good stewardship. 

Beware kids! 

A source that had alot to do with these cars at dealer level revealed to me 928's had 130kg of wiring...........master required indeed.

Archived