Gday , name's Bruce!

tazzieman

A source that had alot to do with these cars at dealer level revealed to me 928's had 130kg of wiring...........master required indeed.

I'd like to see that in writing! More like 70kg , but if you add electric seat and window and sunroof motors etc for  the full fat GT add ons,  it would be a bit more. Probably the same as most modern 911s.

Whilst complex,  the wiring is well organised. A logical brain (human OBD tool) can sort just about any problem. Now once you get into the realms of burnt/chafed/corroded and hidden wires and sticky relays - well that's no different to any old or new car eh?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the full fat GT add ons..

Who you calling fat?

By the by, replaced the whatever it was aftermarket head-unit with this;

(DAB, Streaming, phone mic in the faceplate-which works)

Stockholm_230_DAB_02.jpg

Almost looks like it's supposed to be there.  Highly recommended, great quality unit, operational menu and sound.

DAB+?! mister fancy pants

if you wanna be a pleb with the rest of us you can get these for about $150 - Toronto 420BT

toronto_420_bt.jpg

Indeed,  it fits nicely into the 928S console as well  :) I couldn't care less for radio in a car , but music that's a different thing altogether.

A kinda work colleague asked last week; "why did you buy the worst Porsche ever made?"

I belly laughed and walked off. 

He drives an Alfa Brera.

You work with a hairdresser ?

Taz, it's about the news, not the music. DAB clarity is unsurpassed.  Hang tight it's due down there around 2020'ish.

News has no interest for me. Really, truly. That's why I'm so happy , productive and handsome - without supplements or creams.

For those that are old enough to know of Tony Dron's achievements, the following from his warts and all book about Porsches  , this excerpt about these rubbish GT luxobarge cars that some people bang on about  ;)

Dron_928_1.jpgDron_928_2.jpg

Random '28 question: can you easily de spoiler an earlyish S to achieve the first series non spoiler look?

Anyone know how the rear spoiler is mounted?

Can you post a photo?

And the rear spoiler is demountable ; I haven't pulled mine off but did remove the side pieces (have to carefully prise up the rubber to uncover the bolts). Protect body with tape etc , use ruler to pry.

Study this

For those that are old enough to know of Tony Dron's achievements, the following from his warts and all book about Porsches  , this excerpt about these rubbish GT luxobarge cars that some people bang on about  ;)

Dron_928_1.jpgDron_928_2.jpg

Hey Tazzie,

Is that the same Tony Dron who recommended in the current edition of Octane magazine that the Porsche to have is a 993?

I wouldn't trust him.  :)

Hey Tazzie,

Is that the same Tony Dron who recommended in the current edition of Octane magazine that the Porsche to have is a 993?

I wouldn't trust him.  :)

The berley still works  :) The 993 was far better than the 964 (which Dron hated until he got his 928 race guy to tweak the suspension) Toyota had plenty of say in the development of this modern 911 iteration . 

Tony must be one of those misty eyed old aircooled guys. Probably forgot the article in '97 Excellence that lauds the 996 as a better car "for all".  All hail the mighty & cheap 996!

- the 996 is larger than the 993, but is also 110 lbs lighter, 50% stiffer, and has 30% less bend resistance than the 993 as well.

- Porsche was forced to go to water cooling because the engines needed four valves and dual plugs. two valves with air cooling can't meet modern emissions regulations.

- though the engine was 6% smaller than the 993 motor is produces more torque at lower revs with power up 4.5%.

- the only spec lower than the 993 was the fuel tank: down to 14.4 gallons from 18.5. on the other hand the car uses 10% less fuel.

- though the wheelbase was longer the turning radius was shorter than the 993.

- 996 seats were both lighter and stronger than the 993.

- because of the additional power the 996 can go easily from 40 to 175mph all while remaining in 6th gear.

- the inside is far quieter and you have to rev it to 6,000+ to get a real howl. on the other hand the 996 motor is more rev-happy than previous models.

- the new engine has a smaller decklid which makes it harder for people to show off the engine. The trade off was the rear shelf which didn't exist in the 993.

- because the new chassis is stiffer it is technically slower over bumps. the older chassis flexed more and absorbed the bumps that the 996 transfers.

- the 996 is a far better car for all except the autocross addicts.

Berley? I'm sure no berley get's used in this thread! :)

Can't say I know much about Mr Dron except that he must do a fair job behind a typewriter as well as a steering wheel.

You're right that he doesn't seem to favour 964's and in the same Octane article referred to them as "respectable but dull".

It's always interesting that whenever the reasons are stated about the change of engine from AC to water cooling the main driver is never publically stated: cost!  I guess the marketing boys were never going to be able to say that out loud.

All this 996 talk makes me want one.  I can feel my 928 desires slipping.......

All this 996 talk makes me want one.  I can feel my 928 desires slipping.......

I must say I'm the sort of fellow who likes to flip the bonnet and gaze at an engine. Whilst others gather round like guppy fish at feeding time.

But have at those 996s, there's plenty to choose from and they really are getting cheaper with age :)  Like 928s. But like 928s , make sure you get a good one . 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1985-porsche-928s-road-test-review

once a 928S is in the hands of a customer, a touch of the acceler­ator will wipe out any interest in fuel econ­omy. Not only can the driver effortlessly dial up just about any speed he desires, but the tall gearing and the broad output offer several alternatives to how he goes about his business. To effect nearly instanta­neous speed changes, one uses the lower gears, even at very high speeds. Or one can remain exclusively in fifth from about 30 mph and still outpace most traffic

I want one! But not a USA tuned one.

Hang on , haven't I...

No , not the 5 speed. Hmm.

The very early manuals were a bit weak I believe ; the later ones are heavy and mechanical. Like a Ferrari of that era, a PITA esp in the CBD. But you save on gym fees apparently.

The autos "suffer" by being labelled slushboxes , but they are one of the best autos ever. Bulletproof. You know the upper end of town and USA market demanded autos,  which is why they predominate in the S4s and earlier models.

See here

You can shift them manually and of course the full kickdown is somewhat turbo like. Of course everything has to be adjusted correctly. They default to a 2nd gear start at the lights. You just flick to 2nd and back to 32d (in a 3 sp) then you are good to go, watching others in the mirror. 

The only negative is you can't get as involved in the twisties. But you have more control over your cigar and Financial Times.

It's a 70s design so I doubt it. But with the torque on tap , it doesn't really matter in a GT car. Fuhrmann said something like , you use first gear when you leave home in the morning and you don't need to use it again. (except I would suggest perhaps when some pimply youth wants to play silly bugger )

The beauty of these cars is they feel modern and old at the same time. And given the trans is in the rear , legs are not cramped like in so many modern cars. Unless you are a back seat passenger. At least you get rear sunvisors so you can't see the speedo reading. Nice touch.

On a slightly different note , what's more impressive , power or torque figure (in a road car)? Opinions vary.

Extra power was always needed in the old marketing game of "top speed" , which is sort of theoretical for mortals. Even then the Italians lied through their teeth , whilst the Germans understated their TS.

I've narrowed down my search to an early 928 or 928S Automatic - I like the earlier body style and want an automatic for cruising and city driving (and the 'less complicated' electronics)

Was the early 928 box a ZF or Mercedes-Benz unit? I read somewhere the early cars "used" and MB box (obviously with different input/output setup) - but i found the box in my W116's of similar vintage to be great even in the twisties, I wouldn't have an issue with having another.

The search begins proper in a few months (unless i snap and buy that yellow 924 in SA beforehand)

Only complaint I have with my auto 928 is that the shift lever (T-Bar) seems very high and is a little unintuitively positioned, therefore making 'manual' shifts a little awkward biomechanically speaking.  But the 'box seem pretty strong.

Archived