• Created
  • Last Reply

Wheels are always a tricky subject!

Now , 

Historic date Friday, June 16, 1978

The Winner 1978 : Porsche 928 - 261 points

2nd Place : BMW 7-series - 231 points

3rd Place : Ford Granada - 203 points

Porsche 928 prizegiving happened in Monaco.

Trophy given by Prince Rainiero, with Jury president Paul Frere and Porsche chairman Dr. Ernst Fuhrmann

Porsche put at work all its resources to conceive and develop an outstanding car likely to replace the technically decaying 911. The obsolete points of the veteran were overcome with a front engine, water cooling, noise suppression, good weight balance and a road attitude that made fast driving much easier and more predictable. The aluminum 4.5 liter V8 was also smooth, torquey and fuel efficient. A deserving award winner, the fine looking 928 would eventually fail in the role of succeeding a myth.

http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/themes/porsche-tennis/porsche-tennis-grand-prix-martina-navratilova-interview-10243.html

d884c49c-a273-45bf-9cf2-e055fe402295.jpg

Mrs Navratilova, you are the only record winner in the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix with six wins. When was the last time you were in Stuttgart?

I haven't been there for a long time but I've been driving Porsche since 1978. That was when I bought a 928. It was my reward the first year I won Wimbledon. I saw the car in a showroom. It looked fantastic. I said to myself: if I win at Wimbledon, I'll buy myself this car. At that time, it cost 29,000 dollars, by the way.

My most memorable final victory was against Chris Evert in 1988. Perhaps I played my best tennis then. I still remember that afterwards, I raced along the autobahn in my winner's car and the speedometer showed 285 kilometres an hour.

The old girl turned 25 last November - so this year I decided to treat her to fresh paint on the front bumper and rear spoiler, followed by a significant detail and polish.....

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2013/12/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

It all depends on what you want out of it. Are you looking for an investment-grade machine? Then the 928 doesn't look quite like the right choice just yet. Are you looking for an interesting, fast and oh-so-competent GT car that you are willing to invest a bit in just to have it right? Well, then, sure, by all means, bring one back up to snuff because it's the car you want. 
The good news here is that potentially the most expensive components of the car--the engine and transaxle--have proven themselves incredibly robust. As Porsche's first clean-sheet, from-the-ground-up design, the 928 may have perhaps been over-engineered in some regards. You rarely, if ever, hear of 928 engines failing, or even of excessive wear of internal parts. Even the transaxles have shown to be long-lived over the years. Mark Anderson, owner of 928 International, of Anaheim, California (and another champion 928 racer), lauds the longevity of the engines: "It's kind of amazing when you pull one apart that's got high miles on it and you look for wear and you just don't see it. Any engines that fail or don't live long are usually due to neglected maintenance--a water pump that seized or a bearing that seized; a timing belt that was run so far out of adjustment and the teeth got knocked off. But you almost never hear of a head gasket failure. Yes, they will fail if you introduce enough other problems, but generally, the engines are really robust."
The cars, which were somewhat ahead of their time, remain modern and deliver performance on par with many current sports cars that might cost substantially more and are far more likely to depreciate. The 928 no longer circulates in world-beating exotic car territory, but its shape will be unmistakable compared to anything else on the market today.

The old girl turned 25 last November - so this year I decided to treat her to fresh paint on the front bumper and rear spoiler, followed by a significant detail and polish.....

Fabulous car Dave , a young girl compared to mine!

• 3 weeks later...

Some big money 928 GTS' on Carsales recently.  Seems the blue Melbourne Bayside ($85k) car has disappeared?

Not sure about the value proposition on the 220,000km car?

That one is grey, the one I'm referring to was dark blue/dark grey leather with approx 67,000km on the odo, coincidentally same color combo and odo reading as the car Dutton's "sold" early in the year.    I like the grey one, other than the price and the fact that we have no interior shots or any information on it's history.  But otherwise...:ph34r:

If it was closer to Melbourne I go and break his nuts.

• 4 weeks later...

All this Porsche bodykit stuff I see , and Michel's outerspace ideas , maybe I could rework the shark .

With the new movie release this week , the Man From Uncle could get reborn

unclecar1.jpg

Wow I hope not that is one very ugly car!!!

All this Porsche bodykit stuff I see , and Michel's outerspace ideas , maybe I could rework the shark .

With the new movie release this week , the Man From Uncle could get reborn

unclecar1.jpg

I think it looks cool - reminds me of a Lotus Europa, another dream car of my childhood along with a Muira, 928 and 911!

Archived