Gday , name's Bruce!

tazzieman

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even my dog would sit on the seats in my s3 Landy. He'd rather sleep on the metal floor.

In the monthly "Landrover Classic" mag I subscribe to , there is a section for reader's dogs. Your dog is 2 standard deviations away from those dogs. The important question is which window does the dog hang his tongue out of , when on the move?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I wonder how many of these die each year.

They must be one of the last rebuildable supercars (at a reasonable price)

I am looking forward to watching what happens over the next 10,20,30 years. Even if the fuel runs out , I'll keep it for the sculptural collectability.

One thing,  I don't think the style will date. I think that as with the 911 , it has an organic simplicity. Peace , man  :)

photo31407869365.jpg

In recent weeks I have chased down and killed some seal leaks . Condenstion does get a little old , and with a rather wet winter I was getting a bit sick of driving with the windows/sunroof open and wiping the screen with a rag (who remembers this , it used to be the norm?).

Compounding this was a blower motor that was defunct. 

The previous owner asked his man to quote to fix this. How about $$$$$$$$$$$$$?

The replacement motors can be had for ~$200 +postage. But I heard recently , someone discovered that a VW Passat motor (90-97) was pretty much the same and would bolt into the 928 blower housing. And for $50 , what's not to like?

This is not a 5 minute job  :( And not a 10 minute one either.

The bonnet has to come off , luckily the alloy 928 one only weighs 7kg. Then the windscreen cowl must be removed to access the blower housing. After removing the hinge , it is still a real bugger to pull out.

I took the old and new bits around to mate Rob. by day he fixes optical anything , and complex machines such as complex computerised neurosurgical operating equipment. On the weekends he is always found covered in grease and metal shavings , fixing up old English motorcycles  (he has around 12).  Anyway I was a bit twitchy about getting the plastic fan off the dead motor but Rob used the "I hold , you tap" approach. It worked. Then he became obsessed with the Bosch 928 motor ; he was convinced he could fix it. I busyed it open and the commutator was worn down , really worn down! But he put in on his lather and machined it down , wafer thin. However , I was not convinced the thread of life hanging onto this motor was worth the aggro. 

So I returned home and addressed the problem of fitting the Passat motor to the 928 housing. The latter is offset , the former is not! hence some cutting was required

IMG_0734.jpg

And bingo , after ensuring the fan did not catch on the lower housing , and lining it up precisely , it was bolted into place

and all gaps filled. At 11.30 I went to bed.

IMG_0736.jpg

Next step was to check the resistor pack. I have no idea how Porsche control fan speeds these days , but they used to use nichrome coils , which sometimes burn out and cannot be soldered. The packs are no longer available...

IMG_0730.jpg

Each fan speed is governed by a different coil.

Now the really trick part ; Porsche found that on low speed the chosen coil would get really hot and given the debris that accumulates in the plastic HVAC ducts , could start a fire. I confirmed this , the coil goes orangey-yellow hot!

So Robert Bosch , who loved bimetallic strips, organised things so that the hot coil would heat the strip and turn the fan to high speed – to cool it down.

IMG_0731.jpg

Problem for many people is the strip eventually becomes too sensitive and the high speed fan kicks on all the time “magic blower syndrome”.

Now as I didn’t have a blower that worked , this was not my problem but I bent the strip up so it was “just right”. It’s pretty hard to access once installed so I bench tested it.

So I buttoned it all back. Problem now was the Passat motor housing was too 3mm too tall and the shaft caught on the cowl. With heavy heart but no choice I drilled into the cowl and made a little groove. Even then it was a tight fit. But good luck prevailed. Wa-hay!

IMG_0737.jpg

I now have heat when I want it , and where I want it . And a fresh air blower. So the complex vacuum activated flap system is intact ; another job I don't have to tackle.

Not sure I have the stones to tackle the aircon system , but you never know , one day.

What with the wiring harness rebuild , front brakes/balljoint job and now this , I've saved many many 1000s of $ in the past month.

Learnt a bit more , and that's better than sitting on the couch all weekend.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/819585-928-vs-911-a-3.html

In 1990 (when young and ...) I had an option to test all new Porsche models (Dr. Hans-Michel Piëch was a client of our architect office, surprise it hlped a lot wink.gif ) in Wien Austria for buing me a car and I did buy for me 928 back then... For that time for that wolrd it was so much far away of anything: obviously driving performance in freeway, its track performance especially in high average speed tracks in European scale(during next 3 years back then I did visit multiple times in Nürburgring for the Nordschleife) outdraw easily all other 911s, except 930 and 964 turbo for their straight line performance. And I fell in love with its most designed interior for its time compared to 911 vw beetle like feeling (I felt in love with this glorious aspect 10 years later).
Now among other cars still playing with four old 928s in different modification stages, and with two 911s also in different modification stages I do love both models for the different purposes.

For its time 928 (especially after S4 and GTS generations) was hugely impressive car at any measure and it had hold well and proud its capability to be a great car even today. It was so much ahead of its time back then. Old seventies or eighties or nineties 911... I don't really know what use I would have for it except to have excentric fun to experience the ancient characteristics, if not to modify it to be great for track days and B-roads... It turns out to be surprisingly great car even in high even in its standard form, and truly a karting like track machine when modified enough.

But also 928 can do that: last year I visited Nürburgring with my oldest 928 which has basically only suspension modification to stiff, semi slicks and big red brakes... and it did perform well with 996 GT3:s in Nordschleife (BTG 8.15-8.20times relatively easily in TF in crowd, I have 'S3' 287hp 5L engine) because of its great balance to drive rather than outstanding engine performance. It has enough torque to carry the speeds also in high speed corners, but obviously it suffers in power especially with S3 engine... With standard 964 engined 911 turbowide I have (also suspension coilover and brake conversions done) I do approximately same lap times, so the total speed overall is about the same, but the advantages for the lap time happens in different parts of the track.IF I should sell some of my Porsches out, I would keep one 928 for sure and probably my most modified 911 rather because of what it is now after modifications than what it was before (for the comparison, in same track it does BTG 7,15). If standard 928 and 911 from the same year to choose only, if not both, I would take 928.

And I believe I can build one track 928 (under progress) which is as fast as my green 911. With similar modifications... as it was said here before: they are just as fast as your wallet allows

Wow indeed. A brand new 928.

actually,two new 928's  maybe he's going to sell one to pay for the cost of restoring and keeping the other.  I've known this to be done when importing 911's from o/s - bring in 3 cars, sell one , convert and sell 2nd.,  converted and kept the 3rd car.  Costs balanced out to be a free 911. This was 25 years ago so I don't know how it would go now.

Sorry mate, also outperformed by the 968 Turbo S 0-60mph 4.7secs

But the 968 is not a 911 , which was the point of that quote.

The 928 was the fastest accelerating car "after 120mph" as I recall.

And there really is nothing like a V8 , unless you have a V10 ,V12 or V16  :P

I know this is slightly off topic, I have priors for that.....

The greatest thing about the 928 is it wins bang for buck hands down.  I can buy a 928 tomorrow and enjoy pride and pleasure of ownership of a brilliantly made Porsche that goes nearly as hard or harder than most of the other Porsche's of its era, for $20k. 

911, still love them, one day (When not paying private school fees anymore!)

968 turbo S, are there any in the country???  If so surely they are $70k +++++

968 turbo S, are there any in the country???  If so surely they are $70k +++++

In 1987 the 928 was the fastest non-turbocharged production car in the world.

Plenty have put a turbo or supercharger on a 928  :) Then do the comparison.

This level of restoration is virtually unheard of with 928s. It is so much more complicated than a 911 of similar vintage. And worth so much less , for some odd reason.

I think 911's are more desired/worth more simply due to being the iconic Porsche. The 928 was perceived as an executive express for middle aged men in the day where 911's have a more sporting flavour. This has nothing to do with the relative quality or performance. Cost of restoration & maintenance could also drive down the value of a 928. Many were left to decay as owners couldn't afford to properly maintain them.

Agree Harvs. Not that I'm an iconoclast or anything , how could I be with a 911 in da house?

The 928 wasn't bought new by young men , and by & large it cannot be maintained on a young man's income.

However I believe it needs a young man's strength & gonads to drive at its full potential.

The 928 was the fastest accelerating car "after 120mph" as I recall.

mph     968ts         928gts

Can find 0 - 190     13.1             16.5

0 - 200      16.0             20.5

"Just so as you know"     :) 

They made just 16 of the turbo S and only 4 of the turbo RS. 

How can that possibly compare to the 2,735 luxury sports GTSs?

It's like comparing yours and mine waistline measurements  ;)

There was a club sport 928 produced in very limited numbers in 1988, but not turbocharged.

I'm happy to put my 0-100 and 1/4 mile times up against yours . On my track. $1000  ;)

They made just 16 of the turbo S and only 4 of the turbo RS. 

How can that possibly compare to the 2,735 luxury sports GTSs?

It's like comparing yours and mine waistline measurements  ;)

There was a club sport 928 produced in very limited numbers in 1988, but not turbocharged.

I'm happy to put my 0-100 and 1/4 mile times up against yours . On my track. $1000  ;)

On tassie "roads",  eh?   You might have half a chance in the Landy.

lr.jpg

Just correcting some of your statements - as they stand. "Enough said".

We all love our cars for their own characteristics,that is why we buy them.

Cheers, Mark.

( Will see u on the next Tassie trip and as they say - never take a bet made by someone else  ;) )

The fastest accelerating standard production car thing I think was a Porsche statement at the time. Comparing it to the 911 turbo which ran out of steam above a certain speed?

Interestingly comparisons rarely mention the testing parameters. thus results for Europe can be very different for USA .

Fuel , tyres, gear ratios , air temp , altitude , state of tuning etc etc. 

Science always beats religious faith!

Yes we all love our cars , it's a bit perverse but as Clarkson observes in "Love the Beast" , it's cars with flawed personalities that are the most attractive. Maybe that's why some gentlemen prefer blondes.

The bet still stands ;) On the track , not just a road. Gotta stick with a controlled environment for meaningful results! JP can hold the stopwatch .

Archived