The Build Begins

Hi Guys,

I started the build thread for my project over on Pelican and now realising a few of you were interested and Im sure you guys will be an invaluable source I have decided to pop all my info over to here.

I have posted a link to my photo album that will be ever increasing (Could not for the life of me work out how to get images up as it was saying max 108kb...)

https://plus.google.com/photos/114096734553786293214/albums/5995788105857345185

So! What you came here to hear. 

She is a 1968 Porsche 912-6 

Engine, 2.7L 74? 

Body, converted to wide body turbo look at some point in its life (Short hood)

Wheels, SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME!

Chasis, appears to have been converted to LWB but will go up on lift soon to confirm.

Whats been done so far;

Remove heavy and ugly side skirts,

Remove Turbo Spoiler,

Remove complete interior,

Remove Horse hair and Tar! (Oh what a Joy),

Remove AC Lines, Condensor + Pump

What have I discovered;

Floor pan on drivers side and passengers side have a few rust holes and will be replaced,

Engine seems to have an "interesting" added alternator and second coil,

LH Rear Shock mount has snapped in transportation (Lower end)

What is the plan???

RSR Style Long hood conversion

I plan to build this car to be driven, It will be used at least 3 times a week when functional for "spirited" driving. Originality and Garage Queen are two things i am not out here to obtain.

Light, Simple and Well Maintained! (Lets see how that goes...)

Either Slate Grey or Mexico Blue, depending wether my mind or heart wins the battle!

Parts List;

(Aesthetics)

- RS Carpet Kit

- Momo Prototipo (Obtained)

- Recaro Seats (Undecided on specific model)

- Simple black interior look

(Body)

- Long Hood (Prefer metal but can be Fibreglass)

- Front Fenders w/ 9" Flares (Long hood or Short hood to be converted with metal buckets)

- Front "ST" Style 9" Front Bumper (Fibreglass)

- Rear RSR 11" Bumper (Fibreglass)

- Flat Rear Deck Lid (Fibreglass)

- Half Cage (Obtained)

(Engine)

- Remove, Inspect and Repair original alternator if possible (Replace if necessary)

- Correct Oil Leaks

- Replace Plugs, Leads

Whats the aim? Have her driving by the end of August 2014. 

I look forward to meeting you guys, and hearing your opinions and the invaluable information and help that you guys have to share.

So, lets get cracking!

Cheers, Nico

What a mess. Well done on ridding the world of a nasty example of backyard hacking. That 2nd alternator is a gem. How lazy (or cheap) is that? It makes you wonder what other shortcuts are lurking.

My 2c on the colour. Nothing wrong with slate grey or Mex blue, but there are now quite a few in these colours. Have you thought about something a bit left field? Perhaps one of the IROC colours. You've got a great opportunity here, make a bold statement.

Good luck with the rebuild. I'll be watching with interest.

Either Slate Grey or Mexico Blue, depending wether my mind or heart wins the battle!

Which one is head and which one is the heart?

Oh, and just saw the piccies on your Welcome thread.

Is it an import? Noticed the sugar scoops and side indicators but RHD.

You'll need to convert the fluffy dice to Gulf Blue and get rid of those boost gauge thingies.

Do something with those wheels too (i.e. get rid of them).

What a mess. Well done on ridding the world of a nasty example of backyard hacking. That 2nd alternator is a gem. How lazy (or cheap) is that? It makes you wonder what other shortcuts are lurking.

My 2c on the colour. Nothing wrong with slate grey or Mex blue, but there are now quite a few in these colours now. Have you thought about something a bit left field? Perhaps one of the IROC colours. You've got a great opportunity here, make a bold statement.

Good luck with the rebuild. I'll be watching with interest.

Harvs11, so many "interesting" mounts in the engine bay, the AC Compressor is held on with bent studs welded together and a piece of threaded rod that is bent from the 2nd alternator over to the compressor to stabilise it all... Why do people do this to nice cars???

I have always loved the IROC colours but was hoping to keep relatively understated, I havent got the best license record and drive a lot in my local area so being known as "that bright orange porsche" may draw unwanted attention.

Inside wheel numbers should give more clues (imports), others would be nice and would have spares if damaged.

On with the show - Nico !

9fan, I will try get a wheel off tonight to check some markings. Jut having issues with storage space at the moment. Garage space full of bike parts right now! Car currently on a sloped piece of land (Not the safest place to have it up on stands)

Which one is head and which one is the heart?

Oh, and just saw the piccies on your Welcome thread.

Is it an import? Noticed the sugar scoops and side indicators but RHD.

You'll need to convert the fluffy dice to Gulf Blue and get rid of those boost gauge thingies.

Do something with those wheels too (i.e. get rid of them).

Stardust,

Head is tellling me Slate Grey and the Heart is saying Mexico Blue. It was originally planed to be all black but considering I am removing AC im not sure that is the wisest move for our lovely summers!

I am currently trying to get as much info as possible on the car, It is original RHD and I believe she was imported in the early 80's. Somebody lurking on here may know more history on the car and I would love to hear it! I believe it was originally registered as Nyne-11 in NSW.

All fluffy dice cubes, imitation "boost gauges" and other taccy and may I add NOT CONECTED!?!? and unnecesary items have been removed. Currently trying to negotiate on a Used but clean dash rather than attempting to un do all the damage the PO caused.

As for the wheel, as soon as I can work out what they are and gauge value I will either recondition them and throw a set of rubber on them to use until I can get the wheels I would like. Or alternatively just change them out immediately.

Interesting. I've had two recent phone calls with Jonathan from Group 4. The first was when he was outside the Italian factory he was negotiating with for further production.

Upshot is he will probably go 17 inch rims in the near future, adding to the 15 inch collection, but not 16s. I think he's suffering from manufacturing supplier pain and had quite a backlog.

Cheers.

17's! Now that would make my decsion on the spot! The quality looks great, and there are plenty of finish options.

Only a few more hours of work today then I can head home and keep stripping the car!

the alternator, coil and 'other' fuel filter are my favourite bits lol

have you thought about in the interim pulling the side skirts, changing the headlights, putting euro bumper overriders on and getting it going? whilst you do the other paint/panel stuff?

Get a mohel for the foreskins ;) Why would you Americanize a RHD car.?

On a positive, the pop out side windows will help ventilation once the AC is gone.

Have you been able to confirm the engine and transaxle type by checking the numbers stamped on the casings?

The wheels I would love to buy if money was no object...

These wheels are probably cheaper than gen Fuchs though, if your plan is to 'backdate' these or a superlite style wheel would be a good option IMO. 

I find it very surprising that this car is an original RHD and converted LWB chassis?  :blink:

If this 912 turned out to be a RHD Australian delivered (new) car, it would be interesting to see how much rust there is in it - compared with .. say a RHD English car. or a LHD conversion.

(German cars from the 60's tended to rust a lot - I thought UK cars were bad until I once saw a Sth. African BMW 2002 which was about to crumble away & there's no snow in Sth. Africa  - what did they do there!)

Has anyone discovered its original configuration & delivery yet?

The US parts on the car could just be because the PO bought the cheapest parts that fitted.

Peter - Melb. 

Thanks to everyone for the input so far! I have some time off work tomorrow so will get stuck into some grinding and crying about how much metal I have to cut out! 

Knew what I was getting myself into when I begun though!

Anyways todays updates are front bar removed easy as pie! Exhaust almost out although a couple of the exhaust nuts decided to play tough so I have them soaking over night with some penetrating fluid :)

Tomorrow wheels will come off to have a better look at suspension and brakes, as well as rear bar and exhaust.

More pic's to come shortly!

Alright, does anybody know any local sheet metal suppliers for the Porsches in aus and how it compares to buying overseas? Floor pans are a definite and I've noticed a few small patches on the outer sills below the door. I've found the pricing and shipping to be quite reasonable from overseas, Sierra madre etc. But I always prefer to buy local if I can!

Alright, does anybody know any local sheet metal suppliers for the Porsches in aus and how it compares to buying overseas? Floor pans are a definite and I've noticed a few small patches on the outer sills below the door. I've found the pricing and shipping to be quite reasonable from overseas, Sierra madre etc. But I always prefer to buy local if I can!

Go onto Pelican and private msg Fishcop (John) he is local to Brisbane and has just spent the past two years + rebuilding his 69 911 from a bare shell so he should be able to help with who he sourced parts from as he replaced a lot of metal on the car.

Here is his build thread on Pelican he just finished 

Well worth taking the time to read that as there is a huge amount of great info in it.

Cheers Al

• 2 months later...

Alrighty all, as I'm sure you all know these beautiful machines have a way of getting you down sometimes! Possibly the endless parts list or the surprise rust :) but its the light and the end of the tunnel that keeps us going!

Will be taking a week and a half off work in July to get a crack on the metal work.

So far I have stripped all the interior of the car to bare metal (surprisingly found a fair bit of metal) and sprayed with a rust proof primer until I can weld in patches in the sections that require. 

- Corners on rear parcel shelf (Rusted through around 12cm in diameter in each corner)

- Drivers and Passangers front floor pans (Roughly three holes each around 8cm in diameter as well as some pin holes, will be replacing the whole section for preventions sake)

- Small rust holes at the bottom of rear quarter windows (0.8cm to 1.2cm in diameter)

Bought a new welder today so all I need is some sheet metal and am looking at ordering new floorpans and rear parcel shelf and were back on the ball again!

Biggest challenge for the week and a half off work is to drop the engine from the car, most electrics and oil system are disconnected so doing final checks to make sure I haven't forgotten anything and were good to drop!

Archived