Sydney to Brisbane

Mike D'Silva

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually a bit of everything!

Whilst my partner doesn't ever tell me I cannot have something, she kinda made the point that 2 porsches, 2 ducatis and another cafe racer, are a bit much... 5 lots of rego and insurance is a bit over the top for someone that works 6 days and only has 1 day off!

And yes.. it is a bit of a shock getting into a car with no air, no steer, and lots of rattles and squeaks!

The main issue, is my garage is just too small and finding a place to park them (hiding at work) is a bit of a stress....

You'd think I'd get smarter as I got older.

Mike.

I am hugely surprised and absolutely guttered for you.

You were the poster boy for diligent car hunting. I was explaining to my wife that you were like that guy every one dreads coming up against at a house auction, you were omnipresent. Every car listed recently you chimed straight in and had talked to the bloke already. I have been getting a bit frustrated with my search and certainly took a lot of encouragement from your energy in your search.

Your post rings a few bells, my wife also thinks that three bikes is excessive however I am convinced that a fourth will break through that glass ceiling. I have severe garage accomodation issues as well but have a man coming to build two more spaces, giddy up.

I agree with Peter, stick it in the garage for three weeks and let the dust settle. You have just driven back over some tough roads that were always going to make it rattle. Brisbane has some great roads, just imagine cruising sans roof down to the Goldie on that billiard flat highway or Sunday morning run to montville. Unless circumstances have changed and you need the cash, hold the line brother for a few weeks. If you are working 6 days per week you need some outlets. Chicks associate use age with worth. I had the 550 Spyder for 18 months and did less than 1000km, it was rubbish to drive, but don't regret a second of it. I could stand in the garage looking at it for hours (however like you I had taken to hiding cars at work).

Hold the line mike, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Hi, thanks for the post.... Quite encouraging. Have to admit this is a strange experience for me. Whilst I've put it up on gumtree, I don't expect it will straight away, so I will get to have a bit of a tinker etc.

Turns out the loud rattles are worn drop link bushes which are a cheap and easy fix. And I have a couple of new front rotors going in it too so that should get rid of the pulsing under brakes.

You can never really get to appreciate what you may be getting yourself in for without trying one out for an extensive period. I hate being one of those people that kicks tyres so to speak... I totally love the sound this thing makes. It is so much more gratifying than my cayman. But the cayman is just so clean, straight, and has zero oil leaks!

I'm told that oil leaks under old Porsches is normal... I think porsche even say that one quart per 600 miles consumption is normal... I wonder if that included the amount that leaks out!

Another kicker is that a new found mate who is big into these old p cars has moved interstate for a work contract and there is a decent chance he may never move back... He doesn't know it yet but I was planning to lean on him for his mechanical expertise!!

Wow, 3 days in and selling. I copped a bit of a ribbing selling after 4 months..,,,,,

I completely understand that the reality can drown out the fantasy and a long drive in a 45 year old rattly squeaky car could quickly make you rethink the purchase and ownership proposition.

It's a bit like that Swedish twins fantasy.........perhaps better left as a fantasy!

Best of luck whatever you decide!

mine doesn't leak. i asked don if it's normal to leak and he said no that's bullshit, go look under yours. lol.

they will burn a little oil yes, but leak no.

every old 911 I've been under leaked oil - I think it's got to be expected with the engine expanding/contracting every time it heat cycles

Mike

contact SM911 on the forum, Scotty has been active in organising early car runs of late and has mechanical nouse.

there was a guy in canberra who bought a tidy 912, ended up not driving it because when he arrived at work he (girlfriend) was conscious his cologne was a specific blend of benzene, swepco and 1960's vinyl oh and the fact he had not connected the heating. I drove it a few times, was a hoot. the PO bought it back from him. He went on to buy a 993. Might be in your future

sure  - leak stink hot cantankerous confounding targa conversion - but its yours. Park it, drive it while you do a few odd jobs that become a few more you might get to like it. or no shame in selling it

I think an 80's carrera might have been more my thing or perhaps a 964 c2.

I don't think it will sell fast... It's only on gumtree.... Getting some susp bushings and front rotors changed tomorrow hopefully.

Where does everyone buy oil filters? Also is oil choice critical? Previous owner used a valve line semi synth blend suited to older engines, but I've also seen penrite 20 60 also on sale...

Mike oil is  a sensitive topic - look at the oil thread on PFA (before you do, dress like a druid) or any other Typ901, pelican etc. If all else fails speak to a reputable independent early P mechanic, engine builder.

good plan with bushes - elephant racing, wevo and others have good kit even some of the URO branded stuff is meant ot be OK - stick with rubber oem or oem sports hardness where possible. IMO Monoball, polybronze can have limited use on a road car say inner rear trailing arm bushes.

Of interest I have spoken with a materials conservator at the National Museum of Australia and they use Penrite products, both for long term deep storage of vehicles and for use in non-static display; vehicles they will actually start up the engine on.

I bought my filter from FCP Euro and it was here in 5 days (along with all the other bits I bought at the same time) and $8 or so for a Mann filter.

happy to help out on mechanical stuff with my limited knowledge too. Also happy to take you for a spin and show you how noisy targas are lol (so you can work out if yours is noisy or not)

and drop links! mine literally just failed after reading this thread!!!! (I heard the knock on the drive home last night)

Hey Mike,

sorry I hadn't looked at this thread for a while, I'm in my car today and tomorrow (while my daily driver is off being used elsewhere)

want to meet up somewhere over here and have a look? I'm in Morningside

Russ

• 2 months later...

heading down the new england tomorrow- anybody done it recently, any slow spots to avoid?

will be taking thunderbolts way also, have yet to drive it (last time, a wheel broke in grafton..)

Russ and I did it last week, there is a country music festival on in Tamworth this weekend so take it easy through there. Watch out for the sneaky NSW highway patrol cars that just look like falcons with roof racks from the front, no markings on the bonnet and bumper. There were a couple of roadwork spots but no major delays for us. (except for me near lismore)

Archived