Sydney to Brisbane

Mike D'Silva

Looking to drive from Sydney to Brisbane over easter... leaving Saturday.

I've already been called a wuss from a mate because I want to stop over for a night and take it easy. 

From what I can gather, you either go the coast road, or the new england highway...

Anyone recommend a place to stop if I was to take the new england route?

Or have I left it too late and will end up sleeping in my car!

Mike

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maitland bypass is now open, that should cut about 30 minutes or more off your trip. 

Singleton - Muswellbrook - Scone well patrolled

Fixed radar at Scone outside Maccas and BP on the north side of town

Another at north end of Murrurundi, not sure its in service,no signs, but don't take the chance

Radar cars operate between Willow tree and Tamworth, usually have a car parked just over Sugarloaf Hill.  Has been a white dual cab with radar set up around Tamworth as well.

The Moombies, north of Tamworth is another popular hot spot.

Can't help further north, its been awhile.

Its easter and double demerits, radars will be everywhere.

Power House Motel in Tamworth is next door to a motorcycle museum if thats of interest. Don't know how good it is, never visited.

Cheers

Have a look at Thunderbolt Highway - runs between the coast road and the New England, has less traffic, scenic, and quicker.  Last time I drove it some parts were a little bumpy, but it is still the nicest way to travel.

If you want to impress your companion, try Petersons Luxury Country Guesthouse just outside Armadale. Google it, you won't need to lock up your car and you can ask them whether you can leave it under the porch if the place is quiet.

My experience of the Powerhouse was less than glowing . . . . .

As Sydr just said and if time is not an issue drive along Oxley Hwy through to Port-we just did it with a group of 10 bikes and I reckon it's arguably Australia's best road for cars /bikes with twisties and perfect Tarmac for miles.

I've cycled the New England to Brisbane and back and always thought it would be great in a car - and a whole lot more enjoyable. As a note we similarly stop in Coffs overnight.

New England all the way - going anywhere near the coast over the Easter break is suicide! Waterfall Way and the Oxley Highway will be guaranteed to be loaded with caravans doing 20km/h under the speed limit, and there'll probably be a few hour traffic jam at Nambucca Heads or similar if someone has a prang

Stop in Tamworth or Armidale would be my suggestion, should be 5 hours from Tamworth to Brisbane (and it's about half way)

my dad did Warwick>Newcastle>Warwick in a day a few months ago, I wouldn't advise it lol

oh, and stop in Glenn Innes for strawberries

and there used to be a 928 on a front lawn in Deepwater

my grandmother (who lives in Tamworth) thinks that the Powerhouse is a hot bed of ladies of the night and loose women (and she's in her 80s) lol

New England all the way

+1 There is NO other way! 

ok.... i hear you... thinking I might stop in armidale... its about halfway... I've never been there.... could be fun.

Armidale is a good half way stop

need to find somewhere that has secure parking....

When we bought our GT3 back from Brissy we stopped overnight in Armidale we stayed overnight at this place -> http://www.qualityhotelpowerhouse.com.au/armidale/ probably a little expensive but totally worth it, discreet/safe parking right out front of your room, very comfortable rooms, nice hot shower and a decent restaurant and bar to unwind in right at your door step! You don't need to leave the hotel.. I gotta say this way my 2nd favourite part of the trip, glad I laid over.  

Have a look at Thunderbolt Highway - runs between the coast road and the New England, has less traffic, scenic, and quicker.  Last time I drove it some parts were a little bumpy, but it is still the nicest way to travel.

+1 for thunderbolts way! and also a +1 on the bumps... I lost my front splitter on that road :lol: 

thanks for the suggestions..

I've booked into the Quality Hotel Powerhouse Armidale... 

Bringing back a new toy... im really really hoping it makes it back in one piece.

Been a long time since I've driven a car with no air, no steer and basic... 

I've never had RACQ membership but starting to think I should take it out just in case!

ah, you noticed....

more like, I didn't want to "jinx" it.....

There will be a "bit" of controvesy as I'm sure it is not to everyone's taste.

Promise to put a photo up tomorrow when I am on the way back.

I'll be bringing the trusty go pro too for some impromptu video.

Archived