Opinions Wanted....... Am I Dreaming??

Hey All,

As some of you may or may not know from my previous post, I took delivery of my "new wife" only a few days ago. I have already done about 2 weeks worth of driving already and not ready to stop.

My question to all of you is this........

Am I the only one who thinks that the sight of a Porsche 911 on the road turns all of the other drivers into completet d***head drivers?

Let me explain....

I have suddenly noticed that almost every other car on the road "needs" to overtake you so the Porsche driver can see how fast their car is...... that every "P" plater must do 130k's on the freeway in their Toyota Camry...... that the same "P" plater needs to pass you then slow back down to 100 so you then have to overtake them again.....

Please tell me i'm not dreaming!.....I'm sure I never noticed this behavior in my "civilian" car.........

Yep other drivers tend to speed up when there's a Porsche around. Out with the gang a few weeks back we were menaced by some jerk in a Hilux who couldn't handle being passed by a bunch of Porsches, so instead just sat on my ass at 140 with all his spottys blasting on me....…and this is on a country road in the middle of nowhere!

Have also copped a bit of abuse just putting around town, middle fingers, people yelling etc - jealousy is a curse, but these ass-engined nazi slot cars are an impertinence and tend to elicit strong emotional reactions from people, that's why I bought one

AC78, that exactly what i'm talking about.....

It's like iv'e got a sign in the rear window saying...... "I think your car is inferior to mine  Prove me wrong".....

Hey Caledonian,

I'm sure in your case it might just be your looks......

In my case, I think the car might just have something to do with it.....:)

I really know it's the car, I'm just in denial .......:(

Do still get the odd jerk from time to time and I did notice it a lot more when I first got the car, the nice comments a and thumbs ups you get from genuine car enthusiasts does make up for it though.

It ok to be in denial every now and then.....

Havent had the thumbs up or nice comments yet but i'm remaining optimistic.....

At the end of the day, dont really care about the others..... loving the 911 regardless.....

Alex ths was me mate !

Out with the gang a few weeks back we were menaced by some jerk in a Hilux who couldn't handle being passed by a bunch of Porsches, so instead just sat on my ass at 140 with all his spottys blasting on me....…

You gotta learn to drive the lettuce just that bit arder

It ok to be in denial every now and then.....

Havent had the thumbs up or nice comments yet but i'm remaining optimistic.....

At the end of the day, dont really care about the others..... loving the 911 regardless.....

i get the thumbs up a lot on long interstate trips - new england highway etc.

once from an RTA officer lol!

never really noticed much negativity against the aircooled cars, only once against the 964 and once with the GT3

I can't say that there has been any negativity ( although only had the 911 for 3 days ).

I'm more noticing that everybody else seems to need to show me that they are able to overtake a 911..... both on the freeway and the regular streets.....

Thanx all,

hope it didn't come across that it bothers me..... it really doesn't.

When you get to my age you learn not to get phased by too much...

just wanted to check that the alternate reality I find myself in is actually real and not a figment of my imagination.....

at least I can rest knowing that they try and take us all on and i'm not on the ledge alone.....

Pick up the car after new engine box in,crawling south out of Sydney its in the arvo.. Stops

Slow moving van (hilux?) moves past, with an extra from housos driving it; wanker I get called. So what I think, my mate terry turns round and says yeh you can be...cant please em all the time

SWLTDF in the 996 a couple of weeks back in the Otways following bogun in the Toyota 4WD (complete with jacked up suspension, shovel strapped to the back etc) holding up a couple of P cars in the twisties and not moving over in the slow vehicle turnouts, then when a short straight bit comes she goes for the pass and chief bogun accelerates and closes the gap almost hanging us out into oncoming. Then proceeds to tailgate and flash lights vigorously. Total D...wit

Since I got the 993 Turbo, that kind of behaviour has stopped. It was like...its a "normal" Posche, so i think I could take him, but in the Turbo, they seem to just give up and not try it on.

It's that gorgeous fat arse on the 993 Turbo that stops people passing. A bit like Beyonces tail. A lovely thing to follow.

No one tries to pass the GT2 either but that probably just because it's soooo wide.

The downside to having all these cheap utes on the market, mostly from Thailand, is that they have become way too affordable for the type of demographic who should not be on the road in the first place. Most of my angst on the streets, in whatever car I'm driving, comes from the cashed up, self loathing, king of the road bogan types in hiluxs and navaras who hate being passed and hate making room. A Porsche in the rear mirror really sets these people off.

The downside to having all these cheap utes on the market, mostly from Thailand, is that they have become way too affordable for the type of demographic who should not be on the road in the first place. Most of my angst on the streets, in whatever car I'm driving, comes from the cashed up, self loathing, king of the road bogan types in hiluxs and navaras who hate being passed and hate making room. A Porsche in the rear mirror really sets these people off.

Hang on, my Ford Ranger farm ute was made in Thailand! And it certainly wasn't cheap!

As to whether I'm a cashed up, self loathing, king of the road bogan, well that's open to argument on the day :-)

Archived