Baby Boxster

DJM

Car magazine June 14 suggests a new sub Boxster is planned, a "nod to the type 718 550 spyder" and will be the entry level when released in 2016. Boxster will be pushed upmarket above Cayman to make room so that probably means 90-100k here?

1190kg, 2 litre turbo flat 4 good for 286bhp and 2.5 litre good for 360bhp, 6 speed manual or 7 speed dual pdk

Should be interesting

post-1043-0-44986800-1400705945_thumb.jp

How many models do they need.

Big ones, little ones, sports cars, road cars & SUV's.

Standard offer, middle spec, top options and all with some variations available 

Turbos, non turbos. diesel, petrol & hybrid 

It is just becoming ridiculous.This kind of product diversity just makes no sense to me and history suggests problems. 

IMHO

German car makers have a history of creating seemingly awful niche products with vehicles no one knew they needed or wanted.......but they still sell! (BMW X4, X6, 3&5 series GT, MB GLA45 etc).

Having said that, a small lightweight mx5 size roadster will no doubt be another raging success. At least this model has some link to Porsches of old.

At the end of the day, they are all about maximising returns for shareholders - i believe Porsche is the most profitable car company now?

if the render is any promise on reality kinda like it - the reality though will likely be once it lands here in OZ, it will be over inflated $$$ in part due to Porsche Australias  policy of making their cars  affordable to the 'discerning' - if it competed in terms of cost and quality with an MX-5 well then a different story. Unlikely?

That render looks really sleek, wide and aggressive like a baby Carrera GT. I think it has lots of promise if it sticks to the 1200kg 2L turbo formula. If Porsche AU sold it for $70-80k it would sell like hotcakes. We know the price will be inflated though...

The only thing I've never liked about Boxsters and Caymans is their limited practicality. The mid/rear engine design means they have very limited boot space. I'm dreaming of the day Porsche create a modern 944 (perhaps with these new 2L turbo powerplants). The huge hatch with the rear seats down means the 944's were very practical with the performance to match. Come on with a front engine rear wheel drive sports car Porsche!

People are still modding 25 year old 944 Turbos so I see an exciting modding community emerging with this new breed of small capacity Porsche turbo drivetrains. :D

I'd be all over that if it was good looking, not stupidly priced and still had that Porsche sound/feel and quality we love so much BUT then again...  if it came in new around 70 - 80k  you can get a pretty nice 911 for that $

How many models do they need.

Big ones, little ones, sports cars, road cars & SUV's.

Standard offer, middle spec, top options and all with some variations available 

Turbos, non turbos. diesel, petrol & hybrid 

It is just becoming ridiculous.This kind of product diversity just makes no sense to me and history suggests problems. 

IMHO

Mate , there's a whole new generation of hairdressers out there  :P Haven't you noticed?

Mate , there's a whole new generation of hairdressers out there  :P Haven't you noticed?

Yep, you're right.

I am just getting too old and silly to notice what is happening in the modern world, but no one has asked the big question.

Does it come with an incredibly over priced espresso machine option? M43Bean

Yep, you're right.

I am just getting too old and silly to notice what is happening in the modern world, but no one has asked the big question.

Does it come with an incredibly over priced espresso machine option? M43Bean

Between you and me I reckon there's enough grumpy energy to come up with  way of engineering an aftermarket one for the soychailatte set. Either Porsche designed $(KGrHqR,!qQFFweWDb,TBRieYD1+z!~~60_35.J

Or better still , engineer an elegant solution using manifold vacuum and air injection via some shiny tubes. My 15yo son's a smart fella , I'll have a chat with him. In the meantime we've got plans to do a roast on the spider of the 928.

But while U wait...there is this...Italian motorists get their priorities right

If a current Boxster PDK is $115K drive away today......and the FOB (pre tax) pricing is only 20% less for the "baby", then it's still going to be a $90K car.

Not that cheap for a re-engineered Audi TT if you ask me.

• 1 month later...

Yes. But for the money you paid...

Or 981 - already depreciating, so can get into one sooner.

Oh I miss mine so much!! MINI is cool an all but it's not a Boxster.

Well more news out on the baby Boxster.  Here's the artists impression based on info provided so far taken from this article

autp-140800-sneak-08.jpg

I LOVE the side view but not sure about the butt - obviously its an artists impression, so reality may will be very different to absolutely nothing like this.

Fixed it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived