964 C2 vs C4

Spyder550 posted a witty lament the other day that the chance of finding a good manual 964 C2 for sale was pretty slim as there are another 7000 PFA'ers trying to do exactly the same thing.

I frankly found that somewhat depressing.

But hang on, there is always a few C4's for sale and are they as "bad" as legend and hearsay make out?

To get to the "truth" I referred to a guy I have relied on for 30 years, Peter Robinson who just happened to have done a C2 and C4 comparison in the February 1990 edition of Wheels magazine:

SCN_0002_zps3d431063.jpg

I still remember the cover when this edition came on sale and actually bought it for another comparison it contained.

SCN_0003_zpse8a1aebc.jpg

SCN_0004_zps14726a7e.jpg

So a C4 is obviously unfairly maligned and should be considered a desirable car. Whilst I acknowledge that the all wheel drive system isn't as simple as it should be, by most reports they are trouble free.

Then I thought about those few manual C2's that actually changed hands last year and realised that the majority were for sale for at least a couple of months and some much much longer and I thought they all went for reasonable prices too.

So maybe it isn't so gloomy after all and given how few of this series was actually built, we just need to bide our time until a suitable C2/C4 comes along?

(Or if we're still not convinced and think we have missed our chance as increasing appreciation of this series worldwide has forced up the prices, maybe we should be considering another series that has been largely unappreciated to date?

What's that?

Peter Robinson has always raved about the base Carrera 996 as one of his all time favourite cars.

He hasn't given me a bumsteer yet.....)

The C4 is a less desirable car than the C2? How ridiculous.

Unless you're speculating or investment hunting then you're probably looking for a Porsche to enjoy. In that case it comes down to the intersection of your desires, size of wallet, and what you can find to buy.

I find it hard to believe that most C4 owners enjoy their C4's less than C2 owners.

But hey....the grass is always greener on the other side.

I was lamenting on the weekend, while looking at Terry's car...."gee, sometimes I wish I bought a mongrel so that I don't feel guilty about fiddling around with it!"

Bollocks. 

Find your favorite Jaguar, MG, Mini, Gemini, Falcon, Evo, Fiesta, Porsche...whatever...and enjoy it!  Life's too short!

Here's a good article I came across recently. Its conclusion is in line with that of several reputable shops I've been speaking to recently.

http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964di_1_n.htm

The C4 is a less desirable car than the C2? How ridiculous.

Back in the day, the C2 was the "entry level" model which no one wanted! 

I never had cause to regret buying my 964 Carrera 4.

Without a doubt there is a stigma and they sit longer, they certainly carry a few more pounds but they are great cars. I did a couple of track sessions and confirm that you can indeed drift a C4 in the quick stuff.

C2 would be my first choice but in this market C4 is smart buying and a lot of car. Great engine, modern, stable, elegant but still exhilarating.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but I went about the problem of lack of C2 manuals in a different way and bought a C2 Tiptronic. Never thought I would have bought a Tip as I had just traded my 997 4S manual for a new Cayenne GTS and wanted a manual 964 to keep and left leg moving. I got sick of looking at tired or overpriced or both C2 manuals and stumbled across a Tip which was in amazing condition. After a month of ownership I am having so much fun with it as it is just so easy to drive. Ironically and inadvertently I have ended up with the very first Tiptronic in the 964 and probably the last tiptronic in the Cayenne.

• 8 months later...

If I was in the market for a bang-for-the-buck 964 right now -

This...

887514d1416221730-d-moris-hardtop-for-96

...plus this (D. Moris hardtop) ...

884156d1415219118-d-moris-hardtop-for-96

...equals this...

887516d1416221881-d-moris-hardtop-for-96

From here...

http://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/830407-d-moris-hardtop-for-964-a.html

As an example, if you blinked, you would have missed this low miles 964 manual C2 cabrio last week, which disappeared within a day from carsales.com.au, advertised at $37K -

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/OAG-AD-869932/?Cr=7

So a C4 is obviously unfairly maligned and should be considered a desirable car. Whilst I acknowledge that the all wheel drive system isn't as simple as it should be, by most reports they are trouble free.

The only failing of the C4 is that it was an engineer's car that sacrificed (a little) performance for (a lot) of capability and it was a complete marvel at that -

The AWD in the C4 wasn't overcomplicated for its purpose - it was engineered and tested above the arctic circle to perform and excel in environments where traction was negligble - it was overcomplicated only for its final market, who would never test its full capabilities.

The C4 seems to have sold as well as, if not better than, the C2 at the time, considering how many examples there are available.

It obviously fell out of favour when it transitioned from being a 'new model' because it didn't suit the purists ("too much change") or the enthusiasts ("the C2 is faster").

Anyone looking at 964s for their virtues rather than simply the 0-100 figure or to "own a Pawsh" should read this book about the development of the AWD system -

411BnbCGS6L.jpg

One of the few cars that might tempt me away from my C2 would be a Jubilee 964 C4, love those and it's been years since I've seen one on the local market.

• 1 year later...

Simple question, same price, same desirable color, same km's and condition, C2 or C4, now really truly, which car would you buy.

C2, without a shadow of doubt. 2 reasons. If they are the same price, either the C4 is too expensive or the C2 is cheap!  For me, there are 2 reasons why i would go for the C2. First, weight. maybe it's just a personal thing, but I hate weight in a car. it changes the dynamics, performance and more. I will always take a lighter car over a heavier car. Second, as pointed out elsewhere, the C4 is too hard to skid, or, as i would prefer to say, slide. 4WD cars have very different handling characteristics to the "classic"Porsche feel.

HOWEVER............If the cars are priced correctly, which means there is a difference, it becomes a different debate. Then the C4 becomes far more attractive to many, because they don't throw their car around the track and they aren't looking for the the things that really separate the cars.

This has turned in to the most wank, pointless, & latterly (what if's) uninteresting threads I've read in ages.

Its clear from early posts referencing period reports that there is "jack shit" difference for most people between the 2 cars.

With regard to pricing, I recon it all started with dealers making this shit up about the C2 being the better drivers car & more faithful to the original design concept. Well done, it worked.

No one here should feel better or worse for owning a 964 C2 or C4. If the journo's are to be believed, then for most of us there really is not much to split them. I say save the cash (buy C4) & treat the wife, you know it makes sense.

Archived