Hybrid 911....

Orion03

So will there be a hybrid 911?

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/alleged-porsche-911-hybrid-prototype.html

Makes sense from a fuel saving and also for low down instant torque, maybe driving the front wheels via electric with the normal flat 6 for that tail.

Still means the end of the classic 911 ... or does it?

So will there be a hybrid 911?

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/alleged-porsche-911-hybrid-prototype.html

Makes sense from a fuel saving and also for low down instant torque, maybe driving the front wheels via electric with the normal flat 6 for that tail.

Still means the end of the classic 911 ... or does it?

The classic 911 has ended several times.  At a minimum:

First when the SWB body went LWB in 1969.

Second, when the mechanical fuel injection was replaced with electronic/CIS.

Then when impact bumpers arrived.

Then, again, when the 964 brought such outlandish concepts as coilover suspension and ABS.

The 993 also ended the classic 911 when it lost the original body shell.

The 996 ended the classic 911 twice - first by going water cooled and secondly by ditching round headlamps.

Ironically, its successor, the 997 was more classic, by returning to round headlamps.

The 991 ended the classic 911 by planning to sell more 2-pedal than 3-pedal cars.

It seems to me - and we all know what opinions resemble - that as long as there's a flat six behind the rear wheels and a 2+2 seating arrangement, it's a 911.

The alternative is to be a manufacturer like Morgan or Harley Davidson, and continually look to the past and peddle nostalgia. 

one thing is for sure. These new hybrids are very complex cars with tons of electronics and software....

you don't use a 30+ year old computer right? so ...... would a 30 year old hybrid be usable?

on the other hand the guys here happily have 1970's 911's.

I'm so torn on this one.

On one hand I'm the biggest Hybrid technology fan, we have 4 hybrid Lexus in the family, and I really love them. The bigger engine 6 cylinder hybrids are best but even mum's CT is mighty impressive.

However, a Hybrid 911 is just silly.....like eating diet ice-cream. It's a sports/performance car, not something that needs to make an emissions 'window" to reduce the overall avarage from the manufacturer.

The influence of VW now becoming very strong I sense.

All up for a hybrid 911. At the end of the day, i know Porsche will implement the electric motors to the sport button and use both electric and petrol engine to launch from 0-100 in 3 seconds and have button to activate the electric motors for a burst of acceleration from corners on a track. 918 style.  

The influence of VW now becoming very strong I sense.

Why is it that we blame VW for everything we dont like that Porsche is doing? Why are we not blaming EU emission requirements and the lowering of CO2 numbers they expects car companies to reach otherwise they are screwed? 

We are in the 21st Century and guess what, crap changes and if Porsche wants to survive it needs to get on the band wagon too and conform to requirements. Is the 918 that much of a disaster with its hybrid technology?

We had a Volt for a short period of time and I can actually say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Will a future hybrid 911 put me off, no it wont, especially if hybrid means the continuation of the 911. I wouldn't be surprised if we see small displacement flat 6 with hybrid technology to get them where they need to be.

Guest Harold

I know this will be subject to personal opinion so I will preface it by saying this is MY belief only. I do not think porsche has ever gone backwards in the 911 range. Each time it has released a new model there have been significant and sometimes bold steps forward. As an older person I say embrace the future, it will be a better place. Remember, it is only MY view and not meant to be imposed upon or upset anyone.

I like the idea of opening my future garage to reveal a classic air cooled 911, a GT3 for old time sake and a hybrid for pulling them to and from the track.

A 911 for all occasions!

I would say it would follow the 918 and GT3-R hybrid formula too, conventional power out back, hybrid drive to the front.

I would also imagine its an addition to the model line up.

We can't really blame them for progressing with the market.

Two pedal GT3: they cannot be forgiven for that.. :lol:

I like the idea of opening my future garage to reveal a classic air cooled 911, a GT3 for old time sake and a hybrid for pulling them to and from the track.

A 911 for all occasions!

sounds like my future garage!

A 911 for all occasions!

Except for the hybrid that is my current garage, and I have no intention of changing it.

A 911 for all occasions!

Ladies and gentleman , living proof you can be either Bear Grylls or Daniel Craig - or in some scenarios , both  ;)

Archived