R Gruppe embryo

tazzieman

To be honest I’m a bit “mehh” on the whole R Gruppe thing. To me it’s just another one eyed self-important club. Now stick with me here as it going to be a bumpy ride. They are a bit like outlaw motorcycle gangs. Outlaw being the important word here. They live “outside the law” yet to be a member or an outlaw motorcycle gang you have to abide by a strict set of laws. This to me is one of the dumbest things ever undertaken by man. I’m not going to live by your rules man! I’m going to live by these rules made by John’o last week. Anyway the R Gruppe guys are just the same. They think of themselves as Hotrod outlaws of the Porsche community. We build hotrods out of old Porsches man! We are on the edge and won’t live by Porsche purists rules man!

Whats that? You want to join? No sorry our rules state your car won’t fit as it’s not the same as Johns car and they must all look like Johns car because John said so. We are outlaws man, there are strict rules.

Nice car though.

UNCLE - great read! Agree 110%

I must admit I am also sick of the whole Magnus shite as well.

Overhyped - thinks he is the Carroll Shelby of Porsche.

I even hate the Singer stuff. But do like the Dutchmann porsches.

This just is all a little too hipster for me.

I am awaiting the first Singer Porsche R Gruppe thing.

Man with money trying to fit into a culture.

Man with money trying to fit into a culture.

This is pretty much the case with almost every car/bike club I've encountered that isn't a traditional marque or era club. 

You always get people who can afford to build cheque book cars so they can have what the others have in order to fit into the perceived culture. 

It's called a purple circle: where a small clique forms and attempts to control entry criteria with such nebulous requirements as " not the right sort" etc.

Rather than celebrate differences and what others can bring to a group, it stagnates a group.

Greg

It's called a purple circle: where a small clique forms and attempts to control entry criteria with such nebulous requirements as " not the right sort" etc.

Rather than celebrate differences and what others can bring to a group, it stagnates a group.

Greg

Forgetting the obvious cliqueness , the ethos has preserved quite a few old cars , and unearthed some cool old parts. And maybe inspired others who even though they haven't met the secret handshake criteria have a deeper appreciation for the spirit of the 60s Porsches?

Probably the main criteria for entry to R Gruppe is $$$, if you've ever watched OEM parts "sports purposes" prices . 

"We started with three criteria," says R Gruppe's other cofounder, former Porsche (and current Ford) designer Freeman Thomas. "The first ingredient was sports purpose -- cars that can be driven on the track on weekends and on the street during the week. Second was the SoCal hot-rod thing -- if it looks right, it is right. The third element was the Steve McQueen attitude -- great taste and the cool factor. We're not about screaming. There's a discretion that characterizes an R Gruppe car. It's about delivering more than it promises."

The group's success speaks to the strength of the hot-rodding impulse in the Porsche community, and it's something that's not found, by and large, among devotees of any other high-end marque. 

Although the R Gruppe mission sounds harmless enough, the organization has become a lightning rod for haters from all four corners of the car world. To the august Porsche Club of America, R Gruppe is populated by a bunch of yahoos with no respect for tradition. To the hard-core racers who dominate the Porsche Owners Club, R Gruppe is full of poseurs who'd rather look fast than go fast. To early 911 aficionados who haven't been invited to join the club -- membership is limited to about 300, and members are booted if they don't continue to measure up to unspecified standards -- R Gruppe is a gated community reserved for arrogant snobs. To high-dollar collectors, R Gruppe provides a prescription for replicars and fakey-doos that cost more to build than they're worth on the open market.

Operating on the assumption that any group that's managed to offend so many diverse constituencies must be doing something right …

Of course, what’s not widely known is that, oiginally, Porsche itself INTENDED you to f*** around modding the cars; and even published two factory handbooks for owners who wanted to modify their cars: 

“Virtually from the moment it debuted in 1963, the 911 was rallied and raced not only by the factory but also by customers. In 1967, Porsche created a factory racer dubbed the 911R, but only about twenty were built. So for privateers who couldn't get their hands on one, Porsche published manuals that detailed exactly how they could modify their cars to maximize performance. Porsche titled the books, "Information regarding Porsche vehicles used for sports purpose." In America, of course, we call this hot-rodding.”

It's not limited if they say about 300.

Seems like its a hand job handshake deal for R Gruppe.

I am not a hater because I can't afford it or can't race it.

I just think limiting people with a passion is just bullshit.

Intended for modifying - LOL what 60's car wasn't driven from

the track to the road and modified. 

But all this at days end comes from a ford designer.

Nuff said!

Talk to 'papa bear' aka TK111 for membership details

Membership is open to anybody, totally non exclusive.......

As long as:

- you own a Porsche

- the only water in it is for the windscreen washer

- you publicly denounce the official Porsche Club of Canberra (dual citizenship is frowned on by both organisations)

- you are willing to contribute to any random group buy that our members propose, whether you are interested in the item or not (you cannot claim monetary concerns as we are a

Kollektiv and what's good for the Kollektiv is good for the individual)

- you are happy to lend any of your tools for extended periods of time to be returned in various condition (good for the Kollektiv)

- Saturday and Sunday morning drives always involve extended coffee drinking and no planning whatsoever of our destination and definitely NO organising of the group into some sort of order! Free will prevails

- Membership fees are against everything the Kollektiv stands for, actually anything that remotely resembles a club is forbidden (except that we call ourselves a Kollektiv and have stickers on ours cars and some even were embroidered shirts)

So anybody willing to become a member can contact me directly and I will inform you of the next vetting ceremony.

Like I said "Membership is open to anybody"

;)

:o 

;)

can I join? I'd like to reserve founding membership numbers with following sequences.

901, 911, 912, 930

PS I pledge non allegiance to the PCC and any of its affiliates :o

Then there are the "sports purposes purists" who are really wealthy , and the less pure , who are merely rich. The turtle neck sweaters and moisturised palms give them away.

The pdf is a good historical read.

btw TK hows the membership drive going?

As long as:
- you own a Porsche
- the only water in it is for the windscreen washer
- you publicly denounce the official Porsche Club of Canberra (dual citizenship is frowned on by both organisations)
- you are willing to contribute to any random group buy that our members propose, whether you are interested in the item or not (you cannot claim monetary concerns as we are a
Kollektiv and what's good for the Kollektiv is good for the individual)
- you are happy to lend any of your tools for extended periods of time to be returned in various condition (good for the Kollektiv)
- Saturday and Sunday morning drives always involve extended coffee drinking and no planning whatsoever of our destination and definitely NO organising of the group into some sort of order! Free will prevails
- Membership fees are against everything the Kollektiv stands for, actually anything that remotely resembles a club is forbidden (except that we call ourselves a Kollektiv and have stickers on ours cars and some even were embroidered shirts)

So anybody willing to become a member can contact me directly and I will inform you of the next vetting ceremony.

Like I said "Membership is open to anybody"
;)

btw TK hows the membership drive going?

So far the Kollektiv is a non exclusive group of two (you and I)

And thus, we are closing memberships for the indefinite term.. until one of our members retires or expires... :P

So far the Kollektiv is a non exclusive group of two (you and I)

And thus, we are closing memberships for the indefinite term.. until one of our members retires or expires... :P

Outright lies! The Kollektiv has at least 40 members..………35 of those members having prolonged fail to proceed issues admittedly, but 40 odd members nonetheless!

Here is the Link to the Porsche Sports Purpose manual in PDF

At the end of the day build what you like and what you want to drive and fark what anyone else thinks you should do to join their clique.

Do that either by wrenching on it yourself or if you're like me and you don't have the skill set then save up until you can afford to pay your favourite Porsche mechanic to help with the next mod or upgrade you can afford to do.

My 0.02 c worth and not that it's worth anything anyways

Cheers Al

• 4 weeks later...

I get it every time I mention my eventual plans for my 912. One older gent who has had numerous Porsche's said I should just sell it to him now before I ruin it!

For rego inspection, it will be totally stock.

The day after rego, there will be a lowering party/bbq with some mates to slam it to 100mm and ordering the roll cage (measurements already taken)

I plan to take it to the older gent and show him for a laugh.

It'd be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same thing. May aswell go buy a Prius and drink latte's! I perish the thought!

Archived