Cut P Platers slack!

An article i just read. This person gets it!

I was a p-plater not long ago, But lucky for me, I learnt in a manual, accumulated over 200 hours in a manual 4 door ute. Then turned 18 and hopped into a quite powerful 944 turbo manual. 

For me it felt normal driving because i got taught well and was use to driving. 

But not having someone next to you to aid you a little bit can be a little worrying as at times you may do something wrong and aren't sure of it. maybe you didn't check your mirrors properly or miss judged traffic. 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/cut-young-drivers-a-bit-of-slack-as-abuse-wont-help-their-driving/story-fni0ffsx-1226946274458

So to the older more experienced drivers here, Give the P plates a chance if they make a small mistake, don't sound your horn and flip them the bird. 

Now Taxi drivers.. Well go nuts, Let out your anger at them when they do the slights thing wrong. they cut you off, wind down your window, stick your arm out, flip that finger and and tell them what you think of their driving.

They drive every day all day, that's their job. Their cars rack up 1,000,000 kms!!!! you'd think they can drive! so they deserve it. Not the P-Platers. 

Sounds like a vote for P platers having (dare I say needing) to drive manual cars !  I guess its one way to keep them from becoming extinct...manual cars that is.

I work in road works traffic control and can assure you many drivers have lots of bad habits or practices regardless of age, sex, race.

P platers, like any group have distinct issues, but not all of them, just like any.

Older people like me lack the experience of driving a sea of users texting , eating , mp3 fiddling whilst driving. Somehow in 34 years I've avoided a collision. Hey wait! I don't use phone , eat or use mp3 player whilst driving! Revelation!

Note I'm not commenting specifically on P platers. But my two oldest boys now 23 and 22 have had blemish free records because they have inherited daddy's good habits. They have been taught the concept of "consequences".

I don't discriminate between poor drivers on the basis of:

• sex
  • marital status
  • pregnancy or potential pregnancy
  • race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • impairment/disability (past, present or future)
  • parental status
  • lawful religious belief or activity
  • lawful political belief or activity
  • lawful sexual activity
  • physical features
  • carer status
  • breastfeeding
  • gender identity
  • sexual orientation
  • personal association with person identified by reference to one of the listed attributes
  • oh, how can we forget this topic: licence status

I just hate them all.

In my opinion there are only 2 types of drivers.  Good drivers & sh*t drivers.  Pigeonholing all p platers as bad drivers is like saying all Porsche drivers wear turtle necks and have goatees.  Yes, a lot of young drivers have bad habits, but I'm sure a lot of us do to.  My kids were very good drivers when they were on P plates because we taught them consequences poor decisions bring from an early age.

Life to short to live in rage.

Aah, consequences. There's nothing like having a cop pull you over for doing something stupid to give you a wake-up call. A speeding fine four weeks later just doesn't seem to have the same corrective effect.

More cops in MARKED cars might help.

Most Melbournian guys will know that I only got off my P's at the start of the year and have daily driven my Turbo since i turned 18. breaking the law every day so to speak. 

I have a clean sheet, got send home a form saying what a good drive i've been. 

I've mentioned it before, It's how you're taught. 

I was watching top gear the other day and Jeremy mentioned "It wasn't a young driver, driving down the m1 on the wrong side of the road"

2 days a go, A P later was chasing an ambulance on the highway. He was going 140km/h (don't ask me how I know). Took the same exit as mine then cut me twice in traffic.

Should I cut him some slack? Maybe he was in a hurry to get to the bathroom.

• 4 weeks later...

A p-plater parked so close to my car on the weekend I had to climb across from the passenger seat. Said car had about ten different handbags and shopping bags everywhere and was new, but poorly maintained Korean runabout. This confirms a particular prejudice that I have.

Archived