911 SC Engine and Gearbox Drop

Caledonian

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant thread and detail provided, thanks Caledonian...I wonder how many of us less mechanically minded here dream of doing an engine drop and general clean up and attending to all those annoying loose ends (and finding new ones!!) one day I will succeed!!

First drive tonight :wub:

After torqueing the wheel nuts up and a general tyre kick just to make sure I hadn't forgotten to nip and oil pipe or something, I was ready for the shakedown run.

Since I've only driven a 2 month old Toyota Camry for the last 6 weeks everything felt a bit basic (and very low )when i first jumped in the car. After a short warm up I headed down to the servo as there was very little fuel in the tank. Immediatly I noticed how much quieter and smoother the car felt, but all the pedals were different! The accelerator had virtually no play in it and had some feel, replacing the missing return spring and the worn bell crank bushes was $25 well spent. The brake pedal seemed to be going down too far and needed a lot of force to pull up, then after 10mins of driving i remembered this was a 1978 911 not a 2014 Camry  :P

I took some time adjusting the clutch cable and it's the best its ever been, although there is a smidgen more adjustment needed, it defiantly feels lighter than it was before so i've gotten something right.

With the oil tank removed and all the oil drained out of the engine I'm pretty sure most of the old oil was gone, even some from the from the oil lines. I put in 10 litres including part pre-filling the engine oil cooler and filter, after the drive I topped up the until the midway point on the dip stick, she took just over 2ltrs and i'll check  again after another run tomorrow.

There was one issue that I need to look into further, this acctually started prior to me doing the engine drop but I forgot about it. After filling up with fuel (Just over 1/2 tank) there was a fuel smell coming from the front, I had a quick look at the tank and various vent hoses but there was nothing obvious. The fuel cap seal appeared fine and that was the first place I checked as I'd forgotten to put it back one time after filling up and the symptoms were similar. If anyone has had the same problem I would appreciate hearing about what you found and how you fixed it.

Hopefully there will be a time for a quick vac and wash, amazing how grubby a car gets after 6 weeks sitting in the garage.

See some of you at C&C on saturday morning.

jesus H christ that's some tab!

so the injector seal, injector sleeve, sleeve o ring, and manifold gasket was your extent of the changes on CIS?

True, but most of the cost is in the CV joints and oil cooler and of course the labour was one of love  -_-

Pretty much yeah. I went through the service/maintenance records and the fuel distributor and injectors had been replaced/serviced relatively recently and the fuel lines were surprisingly still quite supple.

Thanks for posting the detail. It all adds up very quickly. I think some of your labor charges are a bit on the low side...but how would I know?

All those gaskets and hoses only cost a few bucks here and there, but it sure can quickly pile up the bills.

Thanks for posting the detail. It all adds up very quickly. I think some of your labor charges are a bit on the low side...but how would I know?

All those gaskets and hoses only cost a few bucks here and there, but it sure can quickly pile up the bills.

I just added the "notional"  labour content as it was intended to be an indicator of what you could potentially save (as a minimum) by doing some of the work yourself.  

As you have seen there was a lot of simple/straightforward cleaning and dismantling work that is very time consuming and expensive by getting  a mechanic to do it  @$90 an Hr++, so where and if practical even the lesser mechanically experienced could reduce their Porsche ownership costs.

I agree, that when you start adding up all the little extras and "Oh I'll just do that while I'm here" jobs the $$$$ can easily run away, in saying that sometimes you have to spend money to save some. 

Glad it was of some use.

the throttle bushes on the back of the intake, Is there any others apart from 2 x '914-423-211-00-M260'? I'm still trying to piece together my parts order lol

They are the only 2 on the engine bell crank but there is and other 2 on the g/box (should be the same on Sporto's) you can see easily if these are required or not.

Hi Caledonian

Now that things are getting back to normal, is the oil staying in?

Any oil drips yet?

Peter Melb.

Caledonian

Apart from a few short shakedown runs, last Sunday was the first chance I had to give the car a decent run. I also got a mate to drive it who had not been in or driven the car for months.

He knew I'd been doing some work to the car he was not familiar with details, and I wanted to get an honest 2nd opinion on how the car drove.

I was pleased when he pretty much straight away commented on how much smoother the car felt, the other thing he noticed was was the improved gearshift, this was good to hear as that was what I noticed the most. Correcting the clutch adjustment has obviously helped the gear shifting and given me a slightly lighter clutch pedal into the bargain. Replacing the missing throttle return spring and worn bell crank bushes, has given the throttle pedal a slight resistance but now has some feel to it and no excess play in the linkage.

I can't say there is any real difference in engine pick up or responsiveness, but the overall drivability has improved significantly! It wasn't a un-enjoyable car to drive before but it's defiantly better now.

So far there has been no oil leaks but more importantly,  no oil dripping on the heat exchanger and stinking the car out. Very satisfied with the outcome and now i can get back to driving it again
:D

I just got mine back together but I got a drip from the RHS chain cover, on the very bottom. I think it's because I didn't get the order of the washer, oil line mounting and nut right. Did you take this one off? Do you know the correct assembly order?

Archived