911 SC Engine and Gearbox Drop

Caledonian

hang on a sec….. are you telling me theres a design fault with the case and that there's a hole that needs to be filled up? WTF!? : )

Porsche design fault noooooooooo, it was just an early attempt at an underbody corrosion protection system:-)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pulled the rear shocks off for inspection, and for once some good news! They had sticker on them indicating they had been rebuild but i had no record of it in the cars history, so I took them off to check. No leaks, shafts are unmarked and damping is as it should be (as confirmed by Pedders). The only fault was one of the lower bushes was starting to split and the paint was scruffy.

The bush is available through a Bilstien supplier, but at $40 and 8 weeks away it will be project for later. 

In the meantime i thought I'd give them a lick of paint to smarten them up.

IMG_1116_zps0a07eea4.jpg

IMG_1117_zps3924b817.jpg

IMG_2535_zps96c49b5a.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsd11ff67b.jpg

IMG_2561_zps7c0588db.jpg

IMG_2559_zps0d9d2bca.jpg

Will try to get the rest of them done at the weekend, all going to plan of course.

Dropped off the oil coolers (yes two but that a story for another time) for cleaning and should get them back  Monday.

Your workspace is looking very Zen Mike, shocks came up pretty good too. You have definitely started sliding down the slippery slope.

Yes Mr level plane 1/2 dozen, I think you could be right there! it was that bloody Super Dooper cleaner that started it (and waiting for parts too) just can't seem to stop......

Have to go now, just noticed the heater flapper boxes are looking a but scruffy :o

Actually put some parts back on the car today, finished of the refurb of the rear shocks with some new decals.

IMG_1147_zpsf96aada6.jpg

The "Made in Western Germany" gives away the age of these Bilstiens but from what I've read the cars were fitted with Boge as standard and the Bilstiens or Koni's were an option. If these are the originals they have done well, although I reckon they were probably updated sometime in the 80's.

IMG_1143_zps6a58e0e9.jpg
IMG_1148_zpsde4b5573.jpg
IMG_1151_zps4b0be487.jpg
IMG_1153_zpsebbb36cc.jpg
IMG_1155_zps5188f872.jpg
IMG_1161_zps350a54d6.jpg

The oil tank was needing a bit more of a clean than originally thought, so have decided to get it hot tanked.

IMG_1111_zps17c4d328.jpg

IMG_1113_zps604038fa.jpg
Sender unit came up good with a light clean.

IMG_2552_zps6ab107ce.jpg
IMG_2549_zpsd15595d5.jpg

Sender gasket was meant to be made of cork, now its just crumbs...

IMG_1110_zpsed3bd7aa.jpg
IMG_1109_zpscd532521.jpg

Have you refitted the rear sway bar yet? apparently they're hard to get back on

Are you going to treat the inside of your oil tank with a POR15 treatment or equivalent? Or just go back to bare metal?

Have you refitted the rear sway bar yet? apparently they're hard to get back on

Are you going to treat the inside of your oil tank with a POR15 treatment or equivalent? Or just go back to bare metal?

I think thats the earlier ones to mine, and it needs to go back on after the engine and box or it gets in the way.

The oil tank is actually in excellent condition, I probably could have flushed it with several doses of white spirit or Kero and that would have done the job. $50 to get it hot tanked and flushed at a local engine shop will save me loads of time that I don't have right now.

Not really a big fan of the POR 15 type treatments, although they have their use in some applications, the 911 oil tanks have baffles and pipes inside them and a sealer could cause more problems than protection. Needless to say the outside will get a nice paint job.

Nice work mate. You're very much suffering from whileimhereitus lol.

Yes it is becoming somewhat of an affliction, and while quite satisfying I'm now really missing driving the car :(

All going to plan, (not there was a plan) the remainder of the parts should be here next week and time permitting ,we will be at the September Car & Coffee.

awesome job……love how the shocks came out……can't get more shwing that looking factory.

$5 can of Brunswick green enamel paint from my local auto parts store and $15 stickers off eBay, cheapest part of the job so far.....

Picked up the oil coolers from getting cleaned and pressure tested, they assured me they have been totally flushed out and are ready to fit on the motor but for my own peace of mind I will still give it a rinse with something suitable.

IMG_1176_zpsac40b8f4.jpg

IMG_1175_zps744db377.jpg

I was hoping to get the last of my parts by friday as the tracking showed they were in the country, but it appears it can take as long for stuff to get from Sydney to Brisbane as it does to get from the US to OZ.

Still had plenty of jobs to do in the meantime, as I got the oil tank back from being hot tanked and flushed. It came out really well and only needed a light clean to get the CRC off the machine shop had put o to stop it rusting.

IMG_1185_zpse31ae9cc.jpg

You could eat your dinner off it now!
IMG_1194_zps58bcc977.jpg
IMG_1191_zps817a7fa1.jpg

Usual coat of etch primer followed by a couple of coats of black enamel.

IMG_1196_zps36d7118f.jpg
IMG_1197_zps1a065ff9.jpg
IMG_1213_zps417654ff.jpg
IMG_1214_zps913fbe1c.jpg

Looking good, Marti;s tyres have been sitting at Fedex in Sydney since Thursday, took two days to get here from Illinois and by the time we get them it will be 6 days in Oz. Fedex Australia should hang their heads in shame.

The "While your in there" bug struck again! I took the rear bumper off to get the engine out as the bike lift would not go low enough to slide the clear the rear apron. I probably could have just removed the apron but the bumper and the RH extension needed re-aligned anyway, so i just took the whole thing off.

A quick blast with the Super Dooper Cleaner (Nathan looks like i'm getting you a new bottle) and after some adjustments to the mounting brackets, both the bumper and extension fit as they should.

IMG_2541_zpsfb558b9a.jpg
IMG_2542_zpsf415645c.jpg

The LH side of the bar was sitting down a little as the rubber that goes around the mounting bracket, was buggered for want of a more technical term. I managed to pack it out with some rubber hose and she sits level again, quite satisfying as that used to really annoy me.  The RH bumper extension just needed a slight manual adjustment and it lined back up with the QTR panel, both the extensions were pretty stone chipped so i decided to get them repainted, and upgrade them with the stone guard as on  the later models. The bumper and apron will get painted at the same time to freshen them up. 

This prompted me to get around to replacing the drivers door, as when I bought the car the check strap mount was buggered (theres that technical term again) and although repairable I would probably had to re-skin the door to fix it right. I came across a used door from a US LHD car in excellent condition and snapped it up, and was just going to get it painted and change it over. I'd replaced the hinge bushes and was just going to drop it off to get painted when i noticed the mirror mounting holes were in the wrong place! as you may or may not be aware the mirrors are offset from one side to another. So as the door was from LHD car the offset was the wrong way round, not a big job but not a 5 minute one either so the door was put to one side. a project for another day.

Well today was the day! I downloaded the dimensions and measurements for the mirror holes but it all looked like too much measuring so i just took a template off my door and copied it onto the new (used) door. Had to cut out some small pieces of metal to fill in the old holes (fiddly job).

Found out why my mirror did not work the wires were not connected!
IMG_1179_zps93e19839.jpg

6f1086ab-aeff-4092-9a7d-bb53b0c600b7_zps

Made sure the mirror fitted,

IMG_1181_zpse9830a3e.jpg

Welded up the old holes:

a40cbf5b-e758-4d8e-98bc-67e55d8500ba_zps

Got a good deal on the painting and it should be finished by the time i get the engine back in.

Popped the CIS off in readiness for the new intake rubbers and gaskets, very straight forward to do with a couple of the nuts requiring at swivel joint on the socket.

IMG_1198_zps276b4bbf.jpg
IMG_1199_zpscb9c2725.jpg

The cover shown no signs of wear or cracks and cleaned up quite well.

IMG_1215_zpsb7041e2e.jpg

Pulled one of the injectors to see what condition the seals were in, not too bad but will replace them anyway at 50cents each.
IMG_1211_zps2d9ca638.jpg
IMG_1212_zps5e09c74b.jpg
IMG_1201_zps2298e889.jpg

Intake rubbers are not really showing up in the photo but just starting to show signs of cracking and are rock hard when you tap them.
IMG_1202_zps3472b6fe.jpg

Progressing nicely Mike. Don't worry about the Super Dooper cleaner, use as much as you want. You can pay me back by doing the same thing to my engine :)

Are you sure? I've still to get this one back together and running again......:)

Archived