911 SC Engine and Gearbox Drop

Caledonian

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Al, as long as my fans are out there I'll keep posting ^_^

Managed to fix a problem easily and cheaply for once. The fuel line to the injectors have protective plastic/rubber cover and over time and many heat cycles they are perished in places:

IMG_1016_zpsf1ae81e8.jpg

So i just trimmed off the daggy bits (that may not be Porsche terminology) very carefully as not to cut the actual fuel line:

IMG_1017_zps43fd9378.jpg

Then just get some of that spiral wiring protector stuff ($12 for 10 meters) cut off enough to overlap the original protective cover as that helps it stay put. It's not concours and you would probably not even see it she the motors back in, but importantly it does the job of offering some protection to the fuel lines.

IMG_1018_zpsa4db449d.jpg

IMG_1020_zps1ab21567.jpg

IMG_1019_zps8e9ec2ff.jpg

I bloody hope so Wayne :o

In reality i'm really just doing maintenance work not hotting it up like Al is with his car, but I will be a lot more confident of its reliability and of course it should drive a bit nicer.

CV did look a bit knackered!

The CIS lines apparently don't really need that cover but it's cheap insurance against a heavy hand.

Main thing is not to kink them I reckon. 

Good progress ; I just cleaned & painted my starter motor too , but left the ends shiny metal . I love shiny metal!

I'm debating whether to pull the starter apart and check the brushes but I don't think I can be bothered. All in all they get very few revolutions. My pool pump is still going strong after 10 years of running up to 8 hours a day (powers the heat pump) for 6 months of the year.

So it turned out that paint i bought to pretty up the starter motor was of the "Hammer effect" anyway it does the jobs and nobody will see it.

IMG_1013_zps7380acb1.jpg

One driveshaft cleaned and waiting for some paint and some new CV joints.

IMG_1014_zps95397247.jpg

Started to clean down the engine bay.

IMG_0994_zps16e1d62b.jpg

After a quick wipe down with wax & grease remover it looking better already.

IMG_1015_zpsb49a9204.jpg

Quote "So it turned out that paint i bought to pretty up the starter motor was of the "Hammer effect" anyway it does the jobs and nobody will see it."

Other then all the people that subscribe to this forum?  

That's very decent of you sir, only problem is my car is in bits scattered across the garage floor:-)

Just kidding, I'll try what I've got first and if that doesn't work I'll pop over and get some. Coorparoo is 10 min from where I work.

Now that your a SME on this type of stuff, I trust your opinion . However, if it's poo (didn't want to say crap on here) you will need to leave this forum and never be spoken of again.

No pressure.

Now that you have all finished teasing Nathan i'll get this thread back on track, and thank you Nathan for you technical support in regards to my project. Its good to see some people here take this stuff seriously B)

So where was I? Right update, nothing too much done this week apart from ordering the parts. Thanks to Ken loaning me a book on 911 engine rebuilds i'm now giving the CIS a refresh, so more parts on the list. 

Parts required:

• I sourced a used oil cooler from the US via the PP forum but will need to get in cleaned when it arrives.
  • Parts order #1 Vacuum & breather hoses, intake manifold gaskets and rubbers, various clips,seals,springs etc. ordered and on there way.
  • Parts order #2 - 4 x CV joints and boots (Plug for FCP Euro did a great deal thanks Russ) on there way.

Jobs still to do:

• Finish cleaning the engine bay and surrounding areas.
  • Clean and paint the driveshafts.
  • Fix the engine heater blower (anyone got and old one working or not they don't want?)
  • Check and adjust park brake (while its jacked up and wheels are off).
  • Seal off the engine oil way casting as per the Porsche bulletin 
  • Remove clean and paint oil tank

To give you an idea of what I found and when dropping the engine, that going by the history had not been out since 2006 when the engine was rebuilt:

1. Engine oil thermostat o-ring - preventive maintenance
  2. Engine oil breather plate gasket - just starting to weep
  3. Oil warning switch - preventive maintenance
  4. Engine oil breather to oil tank hose  - hard and not sealing properly at engine
  5. CIS and brake vacuum hoses replaced - Part preventative part very tired
  6. Throttle return spring - missing (there are 2)
  7. Throttle bell crank bushes - worn out and broken.
  8. Gearbox earth strap - tired and split
  9. Gear linkage shaft seal - preventive maintenance.
  10. Oil tank sender cover - missing
  11. Rubber air box mounts - 1 broken 1 tired
  12. Oil breather hose restrictor - missing
  13. Coil cover - missing
  14. Gearbox mount curved washers - missing x2 (should be 4)
  15. Intake manifold gaskets and rubber hoses - tired rubbers  & preventive maintenance
  16. CV joints - 2 worn out totally 2 probably serviceable but replaced as preventive maintenance
  17. Gearbox output flange seal - leaking

Let me know when this gets boring.

Definately not boring - especially for somebody who owns a Boxster and cannot easily get to the engine, let alone have the skills / temprament to actually do anything to it.

Always looking for the next round of updates. Keep them coming (along with the photos).

I replaced the engine heating blower pipe when I did my engine (long orange pipe) - I think have them a and you are welcome to them if they of any help.

Want me to look to see what sort of condition they are in?

I replaced the engine heating blower pipe when I did my engine (long orange pipe) - I think have them a and you are welcome to them if they of any help.

Want me to look to see what sort of condition they are in?

You had me at "you are welcome to them"  :P 

If you don't mind Ken yes, mine will go back on but are a bit tired but if your old ones are better I'll defiantly take them off your hands...

I did have new pair on the parts list, but apparently we have to feed the kids every day! so something had to go.

BTW your thing is ordered but I just got an e-mail saying  2 of the parts i ordered are out of stock, so they have not shipped the order until i say if i want to wait of go without. I asked how long before they were in stock, so just waiting for a reply.

Archived