Please say the following:

forge rods

forge, higher comp oversize pistons

stroker crank

larger valves

race cam

:wub:  :wub:

Well done. Any dramas?

Surprising how big they look sitting on the floor, eh?

Not really, i could have planned things a bit better but i was only intending to get it ready to drop and then get a mate to help. Then i looked at my motor bike lift and a light came on in my head! although a bit tall when fully lowered it was perfect for a solo removal. 

I don't have a engine stand or adaptor  so it will double up as a work stand too.

Why did it take so long to undo 4 bolts?   :lol:  :lol:

What's the plan with it? Oil change?

Please say the following:

forge rods

forge, higher comp oversize pistons

stroker crank

larger valves

race cam

:wub:  :wub:

Nope, just an oil leak and whatever else i find..... 

Cool, should have called would have loved to come over and help.

Go on hot it up, you know you want to.

Cheers Al

Really just started as "I'll just jack her up and see what's involved" next thing i know i've got the car half apart. Might need a pair of hands come re-entry though.....

Yeah I thought it was going to be a drop party, you know where we all stand around drink your beer/whisky and watch you work. Maybe when/if it goes back in.

I love the aussie work ethics :P

Well done- any special tools (like the bolt to remove the pulley) you need let me know 

I'm mainly trying find the source of that small but very annoying oil leak that was dripping on the heat exchanger, but i'm sure i'll find other stuff while I'm in there.  

Will defiantly shout out if i need any though, thanks.

that's not an oil leak!

i would've been in for the drop party, im used to standing round while other people do work

So far I've had 4 offers to tell me what to do and where i've gone wrong! come on guys I've got my wife for that :blink: 

I've taken the oil cooler off and will get that tested next week and if all is good there (and I'm praying it is) i still need to track down the source of the leak...

A good place to start your search for oil is on top. The oil mist you are seeing is probably from the oil breather return pipe located under the fuel injection unit. It will spread around the area in your photo. New gaskets and O rings are easier to replace now that the motor is out.

From Wayne's book: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/21-Oil_Leak_Fixes/21-Oil_Leak_Fixes.htm

Your right about the breather pipe, it as hard as a hookers heart. I pre purchased the oil switch, breather plate gasket and thermostat o-ring to replace them as a matter of course.

I'm not so sure this is the source of my oil leak yet, hope it is and not the oil cooler.

All the tin is good as it was all powder coated when the engine was rebuilt. Both the oil tank breather hoses need replaced, the restrictor is missing ( idle drops with oil cap off) and the vacuum pipes look tired. One of the air box mounting bobbins has sheared and the throttle linkage bell crank bushes are gone. Nothing too surprising and not a lot of $ to fix up.

The bad news is the drive shafts, both CVs on the RH have some radial play, the LH is mostly on the inner CV. The boots are in good condition and don't look that old, possibly the PO had them re packed in lieu of replacement. Not budgeted for but best to get the done now, the OS landed cost was just over $600 for the pair but I'll try local first.

Geez Mike, you made that look easy! You shoulda kept your 'Jet' plates afterall.

Too Gold Coast for me -_-

Not so much easy as just quite straight forward, the worst part was all getting up and down and going side to side when doing the drop myself. Good job i'm in shape, and before those that know me comment, i've checked, "Round" is a shape :P

Dropped the oil cooler off to get pressure checked, should get the news tomorrow so fingers crossed.....

I have an annoying oil leak from behind the oil cooler - I think - !!!!

Oil drips directly onto the crossover pipe between the heat exchangers.

As your cooler is off, do you have evidence of leaking in this spot (pic from PP), its a known weakness ??

Peter 3.0L SC

post-1241-0-87293500-1405335387_thumb.jp

I have an annoying oil leak from behind the oil cooler - I think - !!!!

Oil drips directly onto the crossover pipe between the heat exchangers.

As your cooler is off, do you have evidence of leaking in this spot (pic from PP), its a known weakness ??

Peter 3.0L SC

Like this?

I will be following the Porsche Bulletin and sealing this off, but i'm not 100% this is the source of the leak...

IMG_0896_zpsd2a0173e.jpg

Archived