911 SC Engine and Gearbox Drop

Caledonian

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's no good Cal. OK how to make lemonade out of lemons? You have saved $$ on labour thus far. Maybe you can track down a used cooler??

P car ownership can swing from ectasy to agony quite quickly eh? 

there's one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-930-Behr-Oil-Cooler-/390882868247?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b026f3c17&vxp=mtr

although this can't be the first time it's happened - there'd have to be someone that could repair and pressure test them, maybe a radiator shop?

"Drop Party" down the Gold Coast eh! Wink wink nudge nudge, we know what you mean ;)

Have  you a copy of Wayne Dempsey's book "How to rebuild and modify Porsche 911 engines 1965-1989"?

I did not need it at all pulling apart the engine but found it very helpful on the rebuild and install.

Happy to loan you a copy if required

That's no good Cal. OK how to make lemonade out of lemons? You have saved $$ on labour thus far. Maybe you can track down a used cooler??

P car ownership can swing from ectasy to agony quite quickly eh? 

Very true, got a lead on one just wait for the seller to get back to me with the postage cost and proof of no leaks.

there's one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-930-Behr-Oil-Cooler-/390882868247?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b026f3c17&vxp=mtr

although this can't be the first time it's happened - there'd have to be someone that could repair and pressure test them, maybe a radiator shop?

From my reassert it appears to be known failure but not necessarily common one. It was at the rad shop for testing an fit's leaking from the core (tiny leak) so not repairable as you would shave to destroy it to get to the leak, actually it would be repairable but but not viable. T&D warned me against the aftermarket ones around, so i'll see what turns up. If push comes to shove, I'll put it back until I find one as it was not that bad a leak. 

any decent radiator shop should do it. mob in slacks creek have done heater cores, radiators, oil coolers for me in the past

Some of what i said above. Bit pi$$ed off that i hesitated on a NOS one in the UK, $800 landed cost but i'm kicking myself now...

Have  you a copy of Wayne Dempsey's book "How to rebuild and modify Porsche 911 engines 1965-1989"?

I did not need it at all pulling apart the engine but found it very helpful on the rebuild and install.

Happy to loan you a copy if required

Might take you up on that, not found anything else yet that will require major surgery just major cash..

Going to try out the new lash tool tonight, so hopefully that was worth it :blink:

Very true, got a lead on one just wait for the seller to get back to me with the postage cost and proof of no leaks.

From my reassert it appears to be known failure but not necessarily common one. It was at the rad shop for testing an fit's leaking from the core (tiny leak) so not repairable as you would shave to destroy it to get to the leak, actually it would be repairable but but not viable. T&D warned me against the aftermarket ones around, so i'll see what turns up. If push comes to shove, I'll put it back until I find one as it was not that bad a leak. 

Some of what i said above. Bit pi$$ed off that i hesitated on a NOS one in the UK, $800 landed cost but i'm kicking myself now...

Might take you up on that, not found anything else yet that will require major surgery just major cash..

Going to try out the new lash tool tonight, so hopefully that was worth it :blink:

if it's leaking from the core they should be able to re-core it though? only stumbling block would be the dimension of the core needed but they usually cut stuff down tpo size no problem.

if it's leaking from the core they should be able to re-core it though? only stumbling block would be the dimension of the core needed but they usually cut stuff down tpo size no problem.

I agree it can be done, but the construction of the cooler would make it a quite involved task, and probably quite expensive.

I do intend on looking into it, a company like PWR should have the skills and equipment to rebuild it but I recon the cost would be close to buying a new one.

2949b682-fff8-48c6-beac-65aa53340167_zps

apparently the aftermarket ones aren't correct internally so the hot oil just avoids the cooler altogether

unfortunately looks like you're up for a new one

I agree it can be done, but the construction of the cooler would make it a quite involved task, and probably quite expensive.

I do intend on looking into it, a company like PWR should have the skills and equipment to rebuild it but I recon the cost would be close to buying a new one.

2949b682-fff8-48c6-beac-65aa53340167_zps

Who knew a mans hands could be so soft

Found an oil cooler in the US and hopefully it should be posted next week, and while its been pressure tested i will need to get it cleaned and was thinking about ultrasonic cleaning, anybody got recommendation in Brisbane?

Finished off some of the other jobs and cleaned up the gearbox grime from the leaking output flange seal, set the valve clearance with my new Lash Tool. Very easy and quick to use and I even went through them with the feeler gauge too, this is such easy job with the engine out of the car.

There are 3 sizes of vacuum hose on the car and all of them were hard and starting to split, god knows how I didn't have any vacuum related problems. I found the 4mm ID stuff at the local auto supply shop but after trailing around Autobarn,Repco and Supercheap, I could find the 10 & 12 mm ID stuff for the brake booster and other CIS vacuum hose.

Replaced the bell crank bushes and noticed that one of the throttle return springs is missing and the airbox rubber mount bobbins were shot too, more stuff for the ever growing parts list :wacko:

Some pics of progress:

New vacuum hoses, well the one i could find.

IMG_0980_zps77a35e67.jpg

Brake booster hose, must have been the original i reckon.

IMG_0983_zpsaa48d17c.jpg

Others still to be done..

IMG_0969_zps0f1f6d2f.jpg

All buttoned back together with new gaskets nuts and sealing washers and hopefully oil tight....

IMG_0986_zps8fcf76d8.jpg

Gearbox cleaned up not too bad....

IMG_0993_zps29482180.jpg

i have a small ultrasonic cleaner i use for small bits on my motorcycles like carbs etc.. it works very well. But i think would be too small for your cooler. Unless we can do one half at a time?

I also have a small soda blaster which is great for cleaning off oily, grimy metal parts back to as new condition.

Let me know if you want to use them; im in Greenslopes.

Mike

Also, what sort of bike do you ride?

Thanks Mike, thats appreciated.

The bike is 1983 Triumph Bonneville T140W TSS, there was less than 500 of them made. I imported it from the US 3 years ago with less then 6000 miles on it. The TSS had the eight valve engine which was just too little too late for Triumph, the bike left the factory October 1982 bound for the US, in January 1983 Triumph folded.

Had a couple of hours this morning so got on with some mucky jobs...

The starter motor was looking a bit scruffy so a quick wire brush and a coat of black ( no primer type for exterior from Bunnings $10)

and will do fine for the application.

IMG_0999_zps2705dba0.jpg

Looks a bit funny from the flash but i'm no photographer :rolleyes:

IMG_1000_zpsdf36d4a2.jpg

Got down and really dirty with the driveshaft, while i was 99% sure it was (and to quote Tazzieman) Shagged! I just had to have a look.

IMG_1001_zpsa50d5672.jpg

IMG_1002_zps9a371ab8.jpg

Looks like this could be an original?

IMG_1003_zps39717f43.jpg

Its worse than it looks in this photo...

IMG_1004_zpsfe17d01d.jpg

Told you..

IMG_1007_zps0292a9af.jpg

The boots do not look that old and would be serviceable but at $50 for a set of 4 its not worth cleaning the old ones, I'll probably go for the other type where the boot clamps to the flange rather than being crimped to it.

This one was coming away ...

IMG_1010_zps030eee79.jpg

Making good progress Mike!

Thanks Nathan, but considering I only dropped the engine to fix the oil leak I expected to be putting it back together this weekend :( 

Oil cooler is on its way and i'm just about to order the CV joints and all the other "Little bits and bobs" ($300 worth) that I found while i was in there!  The parts bill is looking like $1K labour is free though and probably would have been around $2K plus if I'd outsourced it and nothing I've done/doing is that technical really. Bit disappointed at missing the next SMT, but the satisfaction is priceless.

Archived