911 SC Engine and Gearbox Drop

Caledonian

nice work Mike, what'd doing all the CIS rubbers cost? would be good to know theres no intake air leaks

are you working from the back to the front in total restoration now?

are you doing the red ones inside the intake that the injectors sit in? I think they're Bakelite or something weird so they don't transfer heat

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice work Mike, what'd doing all the CIS rubbers cost? would be good to know theres no intake air leaks

are you working from the back to the front in total restoration now?

are you doing the red ones inside the intake that the injectors sit in? I think they're Bakelite or something weird so they don't transfer heat

Off the top of my head it was around $5 a rubber and $2 a gasket less than $50 all up.

Starting to feel like a resto! but in reality its pretty much a mix of general/preventive maintenance and some refurbishment as required.

Just looking at the injector sleeves (Red ones) now and I'm torn between just replace them and if it ain't broke leave it?

I'lll do a list up at the end so you can see what your in for when you drop yours ^_^

Just looking at the injector sleeves (Red ones) now and I'm torn between just replace them and if it ain't broke leave it?

I bought a set to go with my new injectors but baulked. If the old ones disintegrated it would get messy. Though you have the engine out , so it's easy if pulling the runners. Mine ain't broke , thus I let them be!

I had pretty much made up my mind to leave sleaves and just replace the injector seals, but now after cleaning them off and having a closer look the stake marks or peaning indicate they are the original 36year old ones. 

IMG_1223_zpsca28ee21.jpg

IMG_1220_zpsa6a30bd7.jpg

IMG_1218_zps3be66def.jpg

I'm going to pull one out and see what condition it and the seal are in and take it from there.

I want to see you stop at just one!.....

You should have put money on that Dreamr  B)  

Well I certainly can't stop now that I know what condition they are in...

If the CIS did not come off i would not have touched them as it would be difficult to get them out without debris rolling into the head.

A quick de-bur of the stakes to allow removal.

IMG_1230_zps6290259f.jpg

It was that deteriorated it crumbled in my fingers..

IMG_1233_zps43c833bb.jpg

The o-ring/seal was as rock hard and brittle and even if there was no problem with vacuum leak before after disturbing these to replace the injector seal, would have certainly increased the chances of one once it was all back together.

IMG_1234_zpsdf5da078.jpg

More cleaning i suppose.. anyway the decision is now made to replace all the seals and sleeves "While I'm in there"

IMG_1235_zpsf13ab4a9.jpg

I had pretty much made up my mind to leave sleaves and just replace the injector seals, but now after cleaning them off and having a closer look the stake marks or peaning indicate they are the original 36year old ones. 

I'm going to pull one out and see what condition it and the seal are in and take it from there.

GREAT timing - as I just ordered a set of these sleeves from PP, so your pictures are most interesting. My sleeves are loose in the manifolds & this means my O rings are worn out. I suspect this may affect my CIS tuning to some degree?

Can I suggest that even if you dont take yours all out - that you grind off the 3 little peening stakes on each manifold so you can replace the sleeves on the car in the future without pulling the whole CIS off, like I will have to.

My rear bumper needs slight realigning as well so, again,  your posts & pictures today are doubly useful. 

Peter Melb.

GREAT timing - as I just ordered a set of these sleeves from PP, so your pictures are most interesting. My sleeves are loose in the manifolds & this means my O rings are worn out. I suspect this may affect my CIS tuning to some degree?

Can I suggest that even if you dont take yours all out - that you grind off the 3 little peening stakes on each manifold so you can replace the sleeves on the car in the future without pulling the whole CIS off, like I will have to.

My rear bumper needs slight realigning as well so, again,  your posts & pictures today are doubly useful. 

Peter Melb.

Good to hear these posts are of some use to people Peter.

I will be ordering a full set tomorrow, did you price locally first or are you doing a big order?

Before you tackle the bumper lots of WD40 or equivalent will save you some knuckle skin...

Good to hear these posts are of some use to people Peter.

I will be ordering a full set tomorrow, did you price locally first or are you doing a big order?

Before you tackle the bumper lots of WD40 or equivalent will save you some knuckle skin...

The sleeves were part of a bigger order & I didnt check the local price.

The PP & FCP price is only about $USD7 each, so I reckon the local price would be over $20 each due to our local Ozporsch tax???

The bumper bolts will be fed WD40 whenever I get under the back of the car - just like the air injection tubes.

Peter

My rear bumper needs slight realigning as well so, again, your posts & pictures today are doubly useful.

Peter Melb.

it's feeding air in after the fuel/air has been measured and mixed so yeah i guess it will be affecting things lol, definately worth doing and on my neverending list of things to do

The cost of parts is more closely related to how much warehouse space they consume rather than how expensive they are to manufacture. Small, lightweight items can often cost less than a big hunk of plastic, just because the small items take very little inventory space.

Replaced the engine ground strap, these are very important and can cause a lot of problems if they have a poor earth of break.

IMG_1247_zpsf9d50099.jpg

Cleaned up the gearbox mount to ensure a good ground,
IMG_1249_zps2f312bab.jpg
IMG_1251_zpsbad31859.jpg
Nice shinny new larger washer too..
IMG_1252_zps4eb9dde6.jpg

Replaced the throttle rod gearbox bell crank bushes,
IMG_1256_zps7975ec21.jpg

Ended up getting the injector sleeves from Porsche and they are exactly the same as the old ones, apart from being clean and not brittle etc.

IMG_1257_zps3ecaa77b.jpg

After cleaning out the crud and debris from the old sleeve the popped in nicely.
IMG_1260_zps130035d2.jpg

Peened/staked them in with my trusty automatic centre punch.
IMG_1262_zpsce374ae8.jpg

IMG_1267_zps6452ae93.jpg

Managed to get 3 of them done
IMG_1268_zpsa71a6a53.jpg

The gaskets came of with only a little bit sticking to the flange
IMG_1238_zpsacec9e92.jpg
IMG_1242_zpsfa03a09a.jpg
Perfect fit for the new ones,
IMG_1245_zps33b356db.jpg

Some more cleaning to do
IMG_1265_zps6bd7cfc4.jpg

Turns out the injector sleeves were defiantly in need of replacement as a couple were loose and they were almost crumbling in my hands, this is NOT a job you would want to do with the CIS in place! The intake rubbers were better than I first thought but still needed changing, and at only $30 a set, i did find a funky silicone set in various colours with new SS clamps for $130 on eBay, probably better and longer lasting but not this time.

Archived