What car jack do you use?

So my elcheapo autobarn 1.5 tonne car jack has died and I wanted to spend a little bit more on a better jack.

Was planning on buying the costco Arcan jack but they have been recalled and now that they have new stock, they seem to sellout like hot cakes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one <$300?

I know there are some awesome jacks that cost a mint but cant afford those so after something mid range i guess.

Thx in advanced!!

One of those big orange things from repco. Weighs a ton , lifts a ton (or 6) & cost about $120. And a smaller one that is sometimes used at the same time (for suporting/lifting parts into place) . NB If you have a lowered 911 or other low car you may struggle to get "normal" jacks under the front lip.

Actually, I notice this morning that Supercheap Auto sell a 2500kg lowish profile all steel trolley jack for $199 that's looks perfect for our needs.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Trolley-Jack-2500kg.aspx?pid=324009&menuFrom=70501#Cross

(Doesn't look low profile in the photo but is only 128mm high which is about 25mm less than normal jacks and about 25mm higher than the 150 buck more real low profile ones.)

Actually, I notice this morning that Supercheap Auto sell a 2500kg lowish profile all steel trolley jack for $199 that's looks perfect for our needs.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Trolley-Jack-2500kg.aspx?pid=324009&menuFrom=70501#Cross

(Doesn't look low profile in the photo but is only 128mm high which is about 25mm less than normal jacks and about 25mm higher than the 150 buck more real low profile ones.)

Looks like mine , @ with car "euro" ride height  I just checked & there is 2-3cm clearance , so easy to get under the lip and onto the lifting points.

Recently bought a 2.5t prolift garage floor jack from Repco on sale att for $129. Fits under the boxter without the swivel cup on it and lifts to 45cm. I removed the swivel cup and glued some 6mm rubber on it. :)

Got a $200 big steel heavy bastard of a thing that lifts to 520mm high and the lift point is only 90mm high, ripper though.

My young blokes mate has an aluminium one exactly the same his weighs about 15kgs, mine about 50kgs, you will find them online.

I won't buy another repco or supercheap jack, I find the hydraulics don't last.

I have a Repco jack and just picked up a low profile one from Aldi for $149. Aldi jack seems exceptional for the money, but lets see how it goes over the next year or two.

IMAG0673_zpsutfpykm9.jpg

So my elcheapo autobarn 1.5 tonne car jack has died and I wanted to spend a little bit more on a better jack.

Was planning on buying the costco Arcan jack but they have been recalled and now that they have new stock, they seem to sellout like hot cakes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one <$300?

I know there are some awesome jacks that cost a mint but cant afford those so after something mid range i guess.

Thx in advanced!!

I bought one if the Arcan jacks last year. What's the recall for and where do I find out about the recall?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived