New member with 924 turbo and 911 SC

Hello all,

Stumbled across PFA while googling last night, I've had so much fun reading the forum that I thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Queensland and have had a '81 924 turbo since 1999. This was my second Porsche, I had a 77.5 924 for 2.5 years however sold it when I moved to the turbo. The 924 turbo is stock (apart from stereo head unit, speakers in doors) however plan to install a water/ air intercooler (without damaging/ modding car) at some stage in next year or two.

slide_Morgan_Park_523.jpg

Five years ago I purchase an '81 SC coupe which was my introduction to air cooling and 911s. Car is stock apart from the stereo head unit and normal upgrades (eg. tie rod ends if remember). Spent a weekend recently sorting out the sunroof (does anyone know a source of wind deflectors) and enjoyed open air motoring during the Qld Porsche club's 40th aniversary drive.

24012_378914056087_1053466_n.jpg?t=14068

I became a Porsche fan at the age of 12 when I played Test drive on my commodore 64. When out driving with my family when growing up, I'd send them nuts  as I'd always jump out of my skin with excitement whenever I saw a Porsche go by. Would have liked a 911, 928 or 944 as my first Porsche however could only afford a 924 at the time. The 924 series have increasingly grown on me over time, these days I rarely see any others on the road (in 2014 there were 65 924 turbo registered in the UK, I doubt there would be more than 20 registered in Australia). Increasingly I find that car enthusiasts are actually impressed at seeing the 924. The general public always want to know about my 911, most wouldn't recognise the 924 as a Porsche.

When I purchased the 911 I was tempted by 928s and 951s however I really wanted to live my Test drive fantasy. Love the sound of the 911, and the feeling of driving history, however I'm still amazed at how 'old school' the driving positon feels. When new, the 924 turbo was a similar price to the 911SC, I once wondered why anyone would have bought the 924 over the 911. After driving them both  (especially with something in boot) the practicalities and turbo fun of the 924 does present a certain charm.

I was never super impressed with the 996 series however over the last 12 months I've developed a real itch for the turbo, GT3 and GT2 variants. Spent an enjoyable weekend last weekend drooling over a turbo s and GT2 and was suitably impressed with a carrera 4.  I look forward to taking one for a spin one day.  Actually stumbled across this forum trying to scratch this particular itch, normally I just lurk on 924.org, rennlist and pelican.

Next Porsche (dream Porsche)??? Yes the million dollar question. Up to relatively recently I would have said a 993 turbo however their appeal has diminished for me a little in recent years. Strong contenders outside the 996 range would include 924 GT, series 2 944, 928.. possibly a Cayman (all 911 series considered by default). Recently had a sit in a Macan, they seem to be somewhat of a 'bargain' and have a decent towing capacity (3500kg). Suspect final decision wlll be based on how much I continue to enjoy track days.

Thanks all for listening to my ramblings, keep up the good work with the forum.

Welcome mate, Good to see a 924 turbo here! My dad has a '81 924, looks exactly like yours, with out the bonnet and vented nose. 

I've got a 951 intercooler if you're interested in it instead of going the water to air intercooler. (not a fan of)

Welcome to PFA! If your near Brisbane and free tomorrow morning, we are having a Coffee and Cars meet. Feel free to come along and meet some of us in person and talk all things cars. Here is the link...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Thanks for the heads up on the 951 intercooler Pauly however I'll pass as they can't be fitted without cutting (not a huge amount mind you) at the front. I'm a bit paranoid about putting additional holes in my cars.. wife finds it very amusing that I wouldn't drill holes in 911 rear parcel shelf for baby seat anchor points.

Hope the meeting this morning went well, I'm a few hours from Brisbane however might get there in the future in the stars align.

welcome to the forum bear, nice to see something a little different on the pages.

Never sat in a 924 but i do like the body shape

and yes good to see the beast out on the track.

Enjoy...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Thanks for the heads up on the 951 intercooler Pauly however I'll pass as they can't be fitted without cutting (not a huge amount mind you) at the front. I'm a bit paranoid about putting additional holes in my cars.. wife finds it very amusing that I wouldn't drill holes in 911 rear parcel shelf for baby seat anchor points.

Hope the meeting this morning went well, I'm a few hours from Brisbane however might get there in the future in the stars align.

Oh yes, you have a fixed nose panel! unlike mine is bolted on.

If you do really want to remove it, Theres a product called 'nutserts' which are like poprivits but instead puts a thread into the sheet metal and you can screw what you want to it. neat product. 

Archived