New Member with an interesting car

Hey all,

I'm Vinny and I'm 25 years old from Melbourne. Been around cars for a while now, mostly 6 volt VWs and big yank tanks but I've decided to find a 60's 912 now before its too late. I've joined this site along with a few others to make sure I make an informed purchase, thought I'll share a couple of my current cars that have some Porsche influence, they're probably won't be that interesting to vintage Porsche owners though.

Here's my project, a 1959 Ascort TSV-1300, a Sydney built coachbuild with VW and Porsche lineage. Based on a Type 1 pan, they were powered by a stroked 36hp VW Okrasa-powered engine (twinport heads, dual carbs from the 356, etc) and were equipped with Banjo steering wheels, 356 ribbed brakes, very rare lowlight Karmann Ghia gauges and other interesting stuff like 356 recliners, dual Anglia fuel tanks and Aston Martin DB2 taillights. Luckily, I have all the rare pieces to put it back together.

There's only 13 left of these and I'm in the process of building my one from the ground up, here a photo of my project and a picture of the only restored one.

9knrys.jpg

1959-ascort-tsv-continental-gt-coupe.jpg

My driver is a '69 VW Type 3 Fastback it's got a narrowed front end conversion, completely rebuilt mild-custom 1600tp and some rare original EMPI accessories if there's any VW people around these parts. Here's an old photo of it, it's now rolling on original magnesium Gasburners on all four corners.

10502379_10152941184685558_2198701575879

As you can see, the natural progression for me is to get myself into a 356 or a long-hood so I want to get ahold of one now before the prices get too high, the only one left that I can see myself affording now is a 912. Looking forward to soaking up info on the site!

Welcome, interesting cars there!

Where in Melbourne?

FIG loves importing 912s from the states, although LHD, its good to speak to him about them as he restores them, drives them and sooner or later he sells it and starts again. 

Someone on this forum had 3 912's at various prices for sale.

There was also one on the typ901 forum for sale earlier in the week. 

Starting prices are now mid $30's and upward.

Good luck!

Someone on this forum had 3 912's at various prices for sale.

There was also one on the typ901 forum for sale earlier in the week. 

Starting prices are now mid $30's and upward.

Good luck!

I sent a PM to the guy who posted those 912s a while back, I don't think I ever heard back from him. As I'm not a stickler for originality, I wouldn't mind finding a project minus engine to bring my buy-in price down and build a hotted up mild custom. The prices have really gone up recently, when I got paid out for my tuned 2001 RX7 RS last year, I really should have hunted down a 912. Instead I bought a '64 Impala SS convertible and I've been kicking myself ever since. 

Hey mate, natural progression. I too am a VW nut and a Porsche fanatic!

Don't know exactly how to post images but this might interest you at last years SA Volksfest. Another Ascort... pretty schmick too.

Good luck on the hunt.

post-1677-0-47157500-1407313606_thumb.jp

amazing car, can we have a shot of your engine?

i think there's a lot of crossover fans between VW and Porsche

I was at the VW spectacular at Valla Beach earlier in the week, it was great

Hey mate, natural progression. I too am a VW nut and a Porsche fanatic!

Don't know exactly how to post images but this might interest you at last years SA Volksfest. Another Ascort... pretty schmick too.

Good luck on the hunt.

attachicon.gifP1090245.jpg

Thanks!

That's the same car as the silver one I posted at the top, only the new owner has put a decal kit on it, to my knowledge there is not another restored Ascort in the world. That one sold for a decent ticket a few years back (http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/N62D2T5C9Z5J6U1C/) without the Okrasa engine and Banjo steering wheel and have a few major changes like no rear bumper. With the way VW variants and Aussie-built car prices are going, I have the reassurance that I'll get back whatever I put into the thing.

Thanks!

That's the same car as the silver one I posted at the top, only the new owner has put a decal kit on it, to my knowledge there is not another restored Ascort in the world. That one sold for a decent ticket a few years back (http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/N62D2T5C9Z5J6U1C/) without the Okrasa engine and Banjo steering wheel and have a few major changes like no rear bumper. With the way VW variants and Aussie-built car prices are going, I have the reassurance that I'll get back whatever I put into the thing.

Thought there was a chance it was the same car. Very nice!

amazing car, can we have a shot of your engine?

i think there's a lot of crossover fans between VW and Porsche

I was at the VW spectacular at Valla Beach earlier in the week, it was great

The engine is in pieces right now, happy to share some photos once it's rebuilt by a friend and nice looking. 

Here's a video of a replica built by the famous Mr. Okrasa running an Abarth exhaust, hopefully mine will look as clean as this one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sg-HU_NtMk

Gday Vinny. Youre a Luft member aintcha?

I too have owned a few VW's in the past 3 or 4 years, and now a black 66 912 that goes to the painter this Friday

Hope you find one soon. I'll keep an eye and ear out

That Ascort at Voksfest is owned by a guy who I believe has a couple of them. Think he has a yellow 356 hot rod too.

Brilliant car mate and really looking forward to your 912 build. Most of us started with VW's and either still have them or still have a keen interest. So anything similar is of interest to me at least.

Make sure you setup a build thread for both the projects in the DIY / Build Thread area so we can follow them both.

Welcome to the site

Cheers Al

Thanks for the warm welcome. The right VW variants (Matador, Romstech, etc) are quickly garnering a lot of interest as the earlier VW models are starting to command decent prices, so people are looking at more obscure VWs to drive/restore/invest in.

My wife and I had a 72 beetle and a 72 type 3 fastback. Loved the fastback. I've just bought a 76 911 and put down a deposit on 67 912 for her. Her daily driver golf has to go, but she'd prefer to be back in an old car. I think the old analogue nature of the VW gets under your skin. Welcome to the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey all,

Been a while, but finally made the leap of faith and picked up this 1970T. It's got a fair bit of putty in it and its missing the drivetrain, but I'm very quickly getting priced out of the longhoods so I made the the commitment. Maybe some of you already know the car, the previous owner has a number of other aircooled Porsches also. Hopefully I made the right decision and whatever's hiding underneath it all won't come back and bite me in the ass.

Anyway, looks like I'll be on here a fair bit now, unfortunately I'm just a young enthusiast who isn't part of the lucky sperm club, so I'll be doing a lotta reading while I save money for parts. 

forum2.jpg

forum.jpg

Archived