To PCV or not to PCV

Mike737

I need to get my CAMs license for track days which a AASA license isn't accepted at.

I've been interested in joining Porsche Club Victoria but have been put off by a number of factors and I would like to know others experience with the club.

The two factors in question which are making me hesitant are:

1. the price of entry plus the price of their events compared to other CAMs clubs (eg. PIARC). 
  2. When I've spoken to a handful of other people who are in, have been part of or looked at joining PCV at one time or another have given me very mixed reviews leaning towards the not so positive.

For price I can easily join any other club, get my cams and jump on some other club days which don't mind if you're part of their club or not as long as you know someone in the club which very much seems not part of the PCV attitude which I kind of get as they really only want P cars and already seem to have a significant number of members.

The second one is my largest concern. From what I've heard:

• there are people in the club who seem to think they have an elitist status and are think they are more important than anyone else in the club. Although there are supposedly less of these people in the club than once upon a time
  • members have poor attitudes towards certain cars, in particular non 911 cars
  • an attitude towards being the biggest and the best and forgetting that it should be about the club community

On the positive side PCV does seem to run a lot of events including professional driver training and even do proper marshaling training which has spiked a slight interest for me. I do hope that there is a sense of community in the club as I have found with the other car club I'm in as well as this fantastic forum.

I would really like to hear from people who have been in the club and particularly still in it. I really do hope that some of my concerns either are of no longer a concern or are unsubstantiated.

I think the low cost clubs will eventually ruin the "club registration permits". I see plenty of cars on the road with club reg that in my opinion shouldnt qualify. You own a porsche, join the club!

Who knows, others might view you as elitist if you join a cheap club.

There plenty of nice people in the club too, always going to get a few noodles. Like anywhere you soon gravitate towards people who have similar interests/level of seriousness and best of all get to talk Porsches.

There are a couple of us here that are also members of the Maserati club and can recommend them too.

I believe PCV have an event on at Sandown on the weekend, may be worth dropping in and checking it out - a few of us may be down there.

Over the last 20 years, I've been a member of Monash uni car club, Nissan car club, PIARC, lotus and recently joined Maserati. I have bought and sold different cars so have not maintained memberships. I join a club primarily to attend track days, I don't tend get involved much beyond that, mostly time related.

Every club invites members of every other club to their track days so it's largely irrelevant. I have only ever had great experiences no matter which club I was with and which track days I attended.

I believe PCV are one of the only clubs that exclusively invite PCV members to their track days and they charge handsomely. That grates with me. I enjoy seeing other Porsches on track but actually prefer a mix of cars. I have no experience of PCV but an outsider looking in it seems a bit aloof because of the above. Probably completely wrong but perception is my reality.

Calling in to sandown on my way back from SMT on Sunday too mike, I'll see you there - it might change my view! Or if PCV members read this they might stop me at the gate!!

Go join the Maserati Club who get invited to a lot of track days and who are not anal about what car you own. Very few of their members actually own a Maserati. Check out their website and see whats involved to join. PCV does often get perceived as being too elite and " if you dont own a GT3, dont bother turning up" type attitude.

I was a member a long time ago but since they didnt cater much for early cars (typ 901), myself and a few others started the TYP901 Register which celebrates 10 years in October and has  a very strong a dedicated membership. A lot of members of our club are members here. Dont know how many PCV members are on this Forum ??

I think like anything it can come down to what you expect from the club. I am not active in  PCV at the moment as I work every saturday and every 2nd sunday so can't attend most drive days. What I found was a lot of drive days they like to have a nice meal and maybe a glass of wine, as well as a spirited drive, which is great if thats what you are into, but for me I am more into the drive and happy to grab a sausage roll at a servo. The track days seem very well run and professional and I would love to do some but work makes that hard. I don't mind paying a little more for that and the fact its Porsce only is prefered for me, as like SMT's other cars can effect the flow. The ability to learn from great drivers on a track orientation day is also a big plus for me. As others have suggested it is worth joining and seeing how you like it, as you may find you can get a lot from it. I do agree there can be an elitist attitude from some members, as I experienced from one. Talking away for a few minutes, and he asks what I drive, to which I reply *an 86 turbo*, and he says *nice a 930 ?* and I say *no it's a 944 turbo* at which point he turned and just walked off lol I have also met some ppl who were a lot more enthusastic about my car and what I would call genuine enthusiasts, so it does have a very diverse bunch of members

I've been with PCV for 4 years.  I found that the drive days are a bit ho hum.  More drive to a lunch stop, lots of small talk etc then head home.  That said, those on the drives are always friendly and welcoming, especially to new members.  PFA SMT's are more about the drive, some chat (a bit of shit stirring) more spirited drive and good fun.

I've stayed in PCV to access the track days and driver training. Track day is focused on competition.  They are run as sprints or hill climb with points accumulated throughout the year. Entree is available for those new to track and some advance to the competition ranks but many drop off after a couple of times. They don't have a track day event as such. If you are not into comp. then not many options.  

Keeping it exclusive to Porsches keeps the numbers down which helps the day progress well. The regulars get to know each other and there is a healthy respect for others on the track.  Occasionally, they will invite another club to join the day or vice versa.  The track events are always extremely well organised, with marshalls, safety, medical and timing all taken care of. 

Overall its been a good experience.

Great feedback so far guys. Glad to hear that the elitists don't ruin it and that there are down to earth people still in the club.

I shouldn't have too much of an issue at PCV since it's a 996 and not a 901/912. Too bad they don't do more classic events but good to see that the 901 register has come out from it.

I was actually fearing being outcasted since it's a 996 and there's a bit of a negative attitude towards them in the 911 circles due to looks and being the first water cooled.

Mixing with other cars has never bothered me on track as the sprint events I go to are well run and if anyone doesn't give way they get flagged and worst case get spoken to or if I'm too quick I get moved up a group.

I'm really glad that this thread has been kept civil guys and not turned into a flame war of opinions :)

This is a good topic.  It's got me thinking about how other clubs run their track days.  I don't really go for the competition side of PCV so only go in Entree group for a bit of fun on the track.  I'm keen to look at other options.  

What are other's experiences in different clubs? 

All of the clubs below run pretty good track days in my experience:

Marque sports car club

Maserati - tends to get smaller groups so more track time

WRX/skyline - usually 80-100 cars at PI so 5 groups, less track time, usually a race/open group with some serious machinery of all makes

Nissan/ford four

PIARC - usually run a round of superkart championship so those races are mixed into the day leading to less track time for sprint guys. Usually pretty big turnouts similar to WRX

you can look up all cams sanctioned events on the cams website calendar then click the link to the particular event and the click through to the organising clubs website download a form and away you go. I have tended to do whatever event suits from a time/venue point of view rather than joining one club and following around their events. Haven't done enough to bother collecting points etc for club championships and the like.

I think the low cost clubs will eventually ruin the "club registration permits". I see plenty of cars on the road with club reg that in my opinion shouldnt qualify. You own a porsche, join the club!

Who knows, others might view you as elitist if you join a cheap club.

I dont think the Victorian "club registration permit" scheme is in any danger of being ruined as so many new permits are being taken up it has assumed a momentum of its own. But it will ruin a lot of old style car clubs that haven't moved with the times.

One club I heard of made their club permit rules stricter " you must be a new member for 12 months before applying!" & "attend a least 5 monthly meetings a year" Well, a small group of potential members and pee'd off original members just formed a parallel low cost club. This left the old club with its stuffy committee and the group of predatory workshop owners ( who preyed on gullible new members) to wither on the vine.

A lot of people I know have 2 club cars, for example - a Porsche and a Morris & dont want to be in 2 clubs - so they will go join an all-make or local area club which costs pocket money compared with PCV subs.

I predict that these smaller clubs will soon crowd out the older clubs with competition, track days, hillclimbs and the like.

Peter in Melb.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for anyone that is interested.

I went down to Sandown last month after the SMT. Everyone that I spoke to was nice and I didn't really see much of the stigma that I heard about. Did see a little segregation with some of the guys who spend mega bucks on there cars but that might have been because they had their game faces on or weren't having such a good day. Of course the nicest most friendliest people of the bunch were the PFS'ers ;)

So I finally stopped procrastinating yesterday and joined PCV. Now I just need to complete the process and get my CAMS which was my one of my original reasons for joining.

I happily renewed our PCNSW membership. I can't imagine PCV being much different?

I mean, if you go into these clubs with preconceived ideas about its member base, then maybe you are the one that needs the check up from the neck up? 

I've always found someone at any of the club events that I click with and every time its someone new, lots of great folks. 

Archived