1990 964 C2 Brisbane - Upgrades and Engine Drop

Mike D'Silva

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well...

I am a dick.

I've not really played with aftermarket rims before and Ive been requesting sizes according to what tirerack said was the correct fitments for a 17inch rim.

ie, it lists the correct size for 17 inch rims as 205 50 17 front and 255 40 17 rear.

These sizes are pains in the arse.

I wanted to try Nitto tyres out but they dont make the same model tyre in both those sizes.

BUT now I've only just realised that the front rims are 7.5 inch wide and not 7 like I assumed.. (im sure the seller told me and I didnt think anything of it!)

And some sources are saying that a 205 width is the minimum to put on the 7.7 inch where a 225 is perfect.

So.... would a 225 width adversely affect the handling of the car? 

I have had 225/45zr 17 on a 7 inch rim for 15000 ks now, Car seems to  handle what ever is thrown at it,  and no unusual wear pattern on the tires, matched with 255/40zr17 on a 8.5 inch rim, wanted 265 for the rear but did not have that size at the time. So you should not have any probs on a 7.5 rim.

Half an inch!

The ties that came off them were 205's. 225 would probably fit but look a bit wide I'm guessing.

Its the speedo correction you'll have to calculate:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=50&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=40&width2=225&aspect2=40&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=7.5&offset2=40#content

Naa they look just Fine. :P

With the 17 x 45 on the front and the 17 x40 on the rear gives you the correct rolling diamiter for the speedo also, I believe.If they 18 you would go to 35 on the rear  

Some tyre shops are funny... i called a Jax quick fit and got a great price over the phone 2 days ago...now they wont return calls or answer the phone when i call...

Anyway, my attentions have turned to work as we have had a big hail storm and half the cars are buggered.. hail sale anyone?

ah.. paint codes..

i got one of the local touch up guys to mix me up Fiat paint code 750 since I was sure the colour that Depulu did my wheels was not the fiat colour..

So here are a couple of shots of the centre cap, with some touch up paint in Fiat 750 dabbed on for comparison...

DSC03288_zpsbbff9584.jpg

DSC03290_zps298c02da.jpg

thanks for the positive comments... I went to take the car out this morning to take some photos in natural light, however the battery was flat.... it's a new battery and the only thing I have changed recently, is the car stereo.. so Im suspecting something wrong there...

However, I tried to take a couple of other photos of the rims with what natural light was available to give you a somewhat accurate idea of what they look like.

DSC01897_zps40da2f59.jpg

DSC01895_zpsef9b827f.jpg

what's next?

nothing for a while...

i have no more money...well, that's not quite accurate but I don't want to put any more into this yet!

I did order a funny looking stereo from Germany... http://www.ebay.com/itm/330593087911?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Someone of the 964 facebook group fitted one and said it sounded good.. 

The whole battery thing is pissing me off.

When I bought the car, a Clarion head unit was installed. They used the loom from the original headunit, and spliced it to the Clarion loom.. so that way it just plugged straight into the factory harness. All I did, was disconnect the clarion part, attach the alpine part, and then plug it in. Everything worked perfectly so obviously it has to be wired up right.

Pretty sure I didn't knock anything off inside but when i have time and weather permitting, i will pull it all out and check again.

I have now removed the harness adapter, so the Alpine is not plugged in at all and the car is on battery tender just in case.

Shits and giggles.

Looking good mate!

Need to see a proper side on view but it looks like its sitting a little high on the new wheels? Probably just me though as I have a tendency to like them low(ish!)............... ;)

Archived