NSW Police - "ice breaker"

Scott930

I like the thinking but it will never go even close to being produced in any concept.  There is zero vision out of that thing.  If you look the front guards are higher than the windscreen.  It would be like trying to drive a 911 with your head sticking out of the fuel tank.

To my mind it borrows a lot from the i8 - having separated surfaces, hybrid drivetrain.

what? it's about NSW police getting a police car as a demonstration vehicle

I think it's a massive waste of time and money that could've been better spent on driver education

what? it's about NSW police getting a police car as a demonstration vehicle

I think it's a massive waste of time and money that could've been better spent on driver education

Russ,

IMHO, from my daily observation of driver behaviour in NSW there is not enough money in treasury to educate the idiots on our roads, f*%ers can't even keep left unless overtaking!!!! Might as well give cops an appreciation of the P car capabilities.

I put the 'ice breaking' stuff in the same category as 'raising awareness' BS that people seem to spout on frequent occasions these days.

However, it's free column inches for Porsche and they will pull the stickers off and put it in the press fleet or something.  

I concur that the best way for the Police to improve their image is by showing stats of crimes solved, crims locked up, assaults down, etc.  Sadly these can't be produced so they drive around borrowed sports cars instead.

• 2 weeks later...

The car was at the concours today and I overheard the policeman who looks after the car taking about it. He mentioned it is all paid for by Porsche. They use it mostly for PR, visiting schools, car clubs etc.

Am sure the police person (?) who drives it get sick of answering the same questions. He was keen to mention all us taxpayers are paying for is petrol .....

Did have a chat to him at the concours - apparently a few years ago BMW offered to supply cars and could do it cheaper then Ford or Holden, but political reasons prevented it.

Word is pursuit cars in NSW are likely to be. Ford Mustangs.

• 10 months later...

Oxymoron. 

Use a ridiculously fast car to promote road safety. 

How about actual driver training under adverse conditions, skid pan etc. Start a whole new industry and take advantage of the skilled drivers we have in oz.

Slap yourself John, you're a dreamer. ?

Archived