964 tyre recommendations after near incident

ctb

Yes, that age old question, which tyres to get? I have a unmodified 1990 964 Carrera 2 Tip. I almost had a nasty incident at Eastern Creek yesterday on my current tyres which have plenty of tread but are 8 years old so they are pretty hard. Turn 4 with a little bit of water lead to 3x 360's along the grass with the wall getting closer the whole time. Luckily I stopped about 1m from the wall. Yes, I probably went in too hot too wide off camber but that is not my question. When I got back to the pits the hardness of the tyres was evident where lots of little balls and chucks of rubber were all over the place.

So, time for new tyres, I need road tyres that are "semi" comfortable (she isn't a daily driver) and capable of track work a couple of times a month. The selection in Australia seems pretty limited so I am interested in other people's experiences. There is a bigger selection if I want to import from Tire Rack but that can be a hassle.

I have standard Design90's front 6J's with 205/55ZR16 and rear 8J's with 225/50ZR16 currently.

Let the discussion begin.

Craig

I have Dunlop Direzza II's as do a few others. As the car is not your daily they would fit the bill nicely I think. I ordered them from tirerack, significantly cheaper than anywhere in Oz and its not really a hassle to order from them. They are available in both 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII

I have Dunlop Direzza II's as do a few others. As the car is not your daily they would fit the bill nicely I think. I ordered them from tirerack, significantly cheaper than anywhere in Oz and its not really a hassle to order from them. They are available in both 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII

I've just fitted DZ Z2's in the same size as above after glowing reports from others who have them.

The price from Stuckey in Brunswick was less than the 7 yo RE001's they replaced. A quick call and in the shop next day. No messing around with importing fitting etc.

Chatting with the manager there, he reckons the DZ's would be better than R specs in the wet and definitely a huge improvement over the old tyres in all conditions.

Can you imagine Ford breaking out a 1980's XF Falcon for tyre R&D at their You Yangs proving grounds, working with tyre manufacturers to specifically make tyres that are suitable for these old models, then publishing recommendations for XF owners?  It's almost ridiculous.

Well, Porsche do this.  Tyres that are made for Porsches get an "N" rating.  Many times, they look like the regular production models available but the difference is in the construction and compound.

For daily driving, I would did get a set of tyres recommended by Porsche.

For track work, I would get a second set of wheels and fit either slicks or semi-slicks.

More info on "N" spec tyre testing here"

Nathan

how did you go with freight?

And did you have to pay any customs fees etc?

Yesterday was the first proper drive on the new DZ 2's , 400km around Omeo, mt beauty, falls creek, and back to Bairnsdale. Very impressed. I pushed hard into some corners which would have seen me in the weeds on the old tyres. I have a new confidence in my car thanks to the DZ's

Archived