LASAGNA, COFFEE, WOG CAKES AND OIL CHANGE FOR 993

Niko

A few of us got together yesterday and did an oil change on Tman's car.   Well some of us stood around and did nothing in actual fact.   But Steve and Tman got their hands dirty.

Tman introducing the new Mobil oil with Zinc to his car.   

Photos of the oil change up until we were called in for lunch.   Then with full stomachs we could hardly scratch ourselves so there were no final photos.   Needless to say once the car was fired up and the oil level slowly moved up to the right place we called the day a success 

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

Sil panel off

IMG_6930.jpg

Exposing the larger of the two filters this one for the motor, oil reservoir on top of filter

IMG_6933.jpg

Sump plug...shes a bewdiful mate! (T.man language)   no metally thingos stuck to it at all.

IMG_6938.jpg

Now if you aint got one of these things, good luck with getting the filters off

IMG_6939.jpg

Stick on the end of the filter turn it and presto filter off

IMG_6941.jpg

Chris (with his very sad excuse MOVEMBER MO get on board with Chris if you havent already) and Dougy

IMG_6942.jpg

Doug and Tman.   I could add a heap to this photo but I wont...political correctness wins again

IMG_6944.jpg

Removal of the (dry) sump filter,   Bit of a pain this one, heater tubes had to be removed.

But Tman well on top of the problem

IMG_6947.jpg

Heater tubes about to go back on after removal of old filter and new one on..

[url=http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/niko986/media/993%20oil%20change/IMG_6948.jpg.html]IMG_6948.jpg[/

Tightening up the new smaller oil filter for the  dry sump

Great day, thanks for teaching me a few things, and thanks to the hospitality and food from Mr and Mrs Steve and the use of their premises and tools etc for the morning.

Great idea those scissor lifts, and best coffee in Melbourne. 

Oh and thanks for the wog cakes Tman, just what I needed I was starting to fade away to a block of flats.

I'm very much liking the look of that lift.  I think something similar would come in handy from time to time (after spending a few hours on my back today/tonight).  Know anything about it Niko?

Gavin

Hi Gavin, Steve P, is the proud owner, I'm sure he will come up with some details for you, if not I will find out and let you know.

It certainly makes things easy, and very compact.

I'm very much liking the look of that lift. I think something similar would come in handy from time to time (after spending a few hours on my back today/tonight). Know anything about it Niko?

Gavin

Hi Gavin, it's a bendpack mid rise scissor lift . It's not as useful as a two poster, but if you don't have the room for a two poster its pretty good and there is not much you can't do on it .It has well and truly paid for itself many times over in the five or so years that I have had it and has allowed me to service everything from the little 993 all the way up to a friends Nissan Patrol

Great D I Y Guys , And maybe provide some feed back on The 20W/50 V twin oil, @$28.00 a Ltr down country, If the 964 takes a liking to it, the Wine stocks are going to take a beating.  ;)

Yeah very interested on how the Harley oil goes, please give us an update in a little while.

Yeah very interested on how the Harley oil goes, please give us an update in a little while.

It`s not something that will be noticed in the short term,or something that can be identified easily. It does however contain 1750 ppm of Zinc which is good for protection in air cooled flat tappet motors. Engine builders in the states have noted that cars running less zinc are wearing out the cams and rockers. I have personally noted that on my Ducati 851 which was thrashed mercilessly on road and track for 25,000 km showed no signs wear at all on the Rockers running High zinc mobil 1 oil, However when mobil (and just about every other oil company) surreptitiously reduced the zinc content to meet us emission standards , all it took was about 5,000 road km to show significant wear on the rockers,  to the point that most needed replacing.

Ha......."Wog cakes". I'm gonna pull the racial discrimination card!!!

Oh, hang on........I think the Wog brought them and actually referred to them by same.

Thank to Porter for putting up the garage and the lovely Miss Kitty for a great lunch.

First time I'd attempted my own oil change and with Porter's direction it was a walk in the park.

Up until now the oil has been a Mobil Semi-synthetic 10/40 and although the 993 has beer running fantastic i really wanted to change to an oil that was getting strong support with the air cooled crowd.

Oil came from GL Lubricants via Ebay. I bought 10 quarts (9.5 litres) as this was the qty bundle for sale. In the future I'll call them and get 12 quarts.

10 quarts filled it up perfectly but left nothing for top up.

Oil, air and pollen filters from Just James.

Archived