Volkswagen DSG Gearboxes

Hi Tomo,

We had seen that and its of no real help, its nice that someones gone to the effort of getting that info but in most parts its untested and in our case with the clutch plates its a big call to put in US12k clutch plate + labour and hope the car still drives nice. Imagine going to all that effort and finding the car now shifts like a sequential. We have also spoken with other much larger independents in sydney and no-one will touch them. It would probably be better to find a wrecked one and hope its better then the one you have

Regards

Sean

I have the last of the mk6.5gtis with dsg.... now with 106k's - I purchased the car at 35k.

I have looked after it, serviced it religiously - and its been very good.

Ive now found a very good independent mechanic near home and I hope to have it for many years to come.

Justin

We have had two DSG experiences. First my brothers Passat. a 2009, terrible gearbox. Surgy dodgy and impossible to drive smoothly at low speed. We then heard that they had solved the issues with the 7 speeds so we bought a new 132 Kilowatt Tiguan in 2014. That has been the wifes commuter car and has racked up 195,000 kms in 6 years. Absolutely faultless. Great car great transmission. Probably 160,000 easy ks with her driving and at least 30,000 extremely hard ks when i got in it. Especially in the first 3 years I absolutely wrung its bloody neck. I did its servicing at the scheduled times, nothing extra. Now it is being passed to her parents as a hand me down. The rings or turbo are a bit tired which is normal at such high ks. It consumes about 1 litre of oil per 1500ks. Good enough for a retirement car. Unfortunately when something does finally go pop it will still be my problem.

Bought new Golf 5 R32 DSG, beautiful motor, sh!t gearbox, jerky, shuddered when put in reverse, rough at low revs. Plus if you left foot braked power was cut, dangerous. Dealers were (still are?) worse than Toyota dealers, CBF’d.  It moved on at warranty expiration.  First and last VW group vehicle, except for...

I hate VW.   Just a bit.

We bought a 2012 Tiguan as the runaround .. 2.0L turbo .. it is the model that has the 6 speed tiptronic instead of the 7sp DSG. Seems they had a shortage at the time of the 7 speed and gave extra fruit with the 6 speed box.

Love it ... and bought it specifically  to avoid the 7sp DSG dramas ..

8 hours ago, Dreamr said:

We bought a 2012 Tiguan as the runaround .. 2.0L turbo .. it is the model that has the 6 speed tiptronic instead of the 7sp DSG. Seems they had a shortage at the time of the 7 speed and gave extra fruit with the 6 speed box.

Love it ... and bought it specifically  to avoid the 7sp DSG dramas ..

This is the pacific model?  I’ve been eyeing those off as a family DD.  More options and no dsg, bonus

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

This is the pacific model?  I’ve been eyeing those off as a family DD.  More options and no dsg, bonus

Yep .. thats the one. We use it as a DD and love it. Plenty of power. I find that the gearbox does have an annoying habit of changing back a bit far on hills while slowing down but i just put it back manually. Small price to pay for not having to deal with the DSG issue. The wife doesnt really notice it.

I specifically looked for the Pacific model because of the gearbox. A lot of car for the money.