Volkswagen DSG Gearboxes

I'm charged with the responsibility of finding a new vehicle for a family member.

In the frame are several different types of Volkswagen, from Golf to Passat including Tiguan, probably from '09 to '12, ranging from 40k to 100k km.  It all depends on the car, the condition and the price.

Most of these cars seem to have the DSG box - in fact I haven't seen one that hasn't.

I know a few members here also have modern VWs.  I keep hearing little comments about DSG gearboxes.

What's the first hand information?  Are they a problem?  Are there specific years/models to avoid?

Are there long term question marks?  Wading through the information on Google is mind-boggling.  There must have been millions of the things made by now.

As an aside I don't particularly like the way they drive.  They always feel as though they're a conventional auto with shift problems, especially in low speed manouvres .  But the car is not for me.

What's the first hand information?  Are they a problem?  

2010 Golf GTI and Polo TSI - both chipped for more power and never had the slightest issue. There was a recall on the Polo a few years ago where they updated the DSG software. My brothers have a 2009 Passat R36 and 2011 Golf R and they haven't experienced any issues either. I reckon they are great fun to drive and make cool noises on the upshift.

From time to time you'll read some "horror story" on a forum, mostly re early DSGs. For every so-called horror story there are probably 1000 happy campers. 

There are also some oil counsumption issues on early Mark 6 1.4 TSI Golfs and 6R Polos, both of which use the twin charged engine. I believe this was resolved with different piston rings in 2011

Depending on your price range, you might want to look at Skoda as well. It's all VW underneath, and the RS is to all accounts a pretty good package.

usually a few grand cheaper than the equivalent Golf too (and much cheaper than the equivalent Audi)

My 2011 Passat V6 has been faultless. The DSG is way ahead of the auto in my previous Subaru Outback. Driving arount town it is pretty much the same as a PDK. The difference is when sport driving the PDK is superior. It can take a bit of getting used to very slow speed clutch slipping maneuvering but with not to much practice at being gentle but firm on the throttle and not overreacting to the car movements it soon becomes second nature.

My only gripe is if i touch the brake while accelerating, it cuts out and brings power back in smooooothly. Caught me out the first time turning right in traffic. Touched the go pedal then momentarily hit the brake with left foot...... Then had to roll through oncoming traffic while power came back

Thanks for the responses.  Skoda has been raised but old-skool brand reaction was the first response.  

Personally I want to push for a 3 series or c-class but we'll see.  Performance is definitely not a priority, just comfort and fuel economy.  But for me driving refinement is most important in a a-b car so we'll see where it all shakes out.  In my opinion, while the golf is a step up in refinement over the competition, it's still not where I like it. But the car is not for me.

I think the DSG plus twin charged engines is where they can get the fuel economy from, though. Noted on the adjustments required to driving style.  So maybe a Golf will be the eventual winner.  

A couple of years back a friends parents asked me for help in selecting them a car and going through the trade process.  I helped them trade their Outback on a twin-charged Golf with park assist (and managed to deal a good price) and they keep sending me letters telling me how wonderful it is.  So there's another anecdote.

The early dsg's are the ones you have to worry about. I can't remember the model numbers, but I think VAG has sorted them out now. The issue was around the computer inside the transmission housing and the lubrication - ie. The hot oil was affecting the computers. Replacement is ££££

I've publicly complained about our mk6 gti dsg several times on pfa. It constantly favours high gears (fuel efficiency) and is slow from stationary. Sport mode is really just "hold the gear longer" mode. Going into reverse demands a second or two for it to sort itself out before you apply throttle.

I just don't like the driving experience compared to a manual (we bought it opportunistically - we were looking for a manual). I hate it when people list them as manuals on carsales. They are bloody automatic cars!!!

The gearbox hasn't been a maintenance issue, though the car has eaten a few water pumps and the timing chain tensipner failed and we got a new cylinder head paid for by VW outside of warranty (happy with that).

I like how the car looks and the interior is nice. Seats are the best feature of the car.

Would I get another? No thanks!!

I had a 2008 Passat 125TDI with DSG. It was a nice car but I did have issues with the DSG.

Twice it needed the mechatronic Unit inside the transmission replaced, luckily while still under warranty also I had a similar issue to Chris with the electric brake but mine failed completely so had to be replaced. the final straw was when it started to have the mystery power failure. It happened 3 times and each time on a freeway while travelling at 100kmh. A warning light would come on and while the engine was still running there was nothing happening when you pushed on the accelerator. The car would coast to a stop, the engine would stall and after a minute or two would fire up and drive off happily as if nothing had happened. It was one of the recall cars to fix the issue but I lost confidence in the car. It was at this point with all the media coverage on the same issue that I got out of it and into the latest model Mazda 6 Diesel.   Which has turned out to be the best daily driver I have had. 

I've had both 2010 and 2014 golf GTI's as daily drivers for the better half.

Never had a problem and the DSg is great particularly if going really hard on a mountain road etc.

The auto mode is fine but tuned too far toward economy runs.

Funny thing is my wife only drives it in manual mode and never uses auto.

They are good units

Cheers

I drove a Skoda (the little one) today.  I forget the name. It was Golf sized.  I did a lot of playing around with the DSG, trying hill starts, slow speed starts, rapid things like that.  I don't really like the way they drive TBH - I would prefer a normal slusher as an auto.  I think they're probably good in a GTi or performance car, but for a normal car, it seems like it's more for economy rather than giving a great driving experience.

I must say it's a bit disappointing how much parts bin sharing there is between the Golf and the Skoda.  It really doesn't feel like a unique car.  It just feels like a stripped down golf.  As for all the plastic engine parts...  :wacko: ...I know they're all like that now though.  When I had a Golf Mk4 all the plastic bits started to self disintegrate and I was left without gearshift, windscreen washers, window winders...you name it.  

People here have mentioned 'the early DSG' have problems...any ideas when the cutoff is? When was the fix?

We've had 3 golf GTi DSGs, octavia RS DSG and an R36 DSG in our fleet, no issues with any of them despite he flogging they copped. Good compromise gearbox - good for the daily grind but fun on twisty roads. A few annoying stutters off t intersections etc but you get used to it.

Certainty been some bad press but we've not experienced it.

DQ200 gearbox. I think gti etc are DQ250. There's newer boxes now.

http://volkswagenaustralia.com.au/DSGvoluntaryrecall/Faq

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6858488-DQ200-DSG-in-global-recall-Possibly-affects-Jetta-Hybrid

http://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=a&AID=180

VW: Sulphur in the gear oil and an inorganic heat stabiliser in the plastic parts (iodine) of the mechatronic unit can cause metallic surfaces to be attacked and to suffer from electrolytic corrosion, in connection with high air humidity and high outside temperatures. Conducting particles can then settle between the circuit paths of the control unit and could cause a short circuit.

SGCM: Is it true that only the seven-speed gearbox has been affected?

VW: The subject of the voluntary recall is the DQ200 seven-speed DSG gearbox. Volkswagen also produces the DQ250 six-speed DSG and DQ500 seven-speed DSG which are not affected by this voluntary recall.

Reading those posts makes me never want to touch a DSG car in my life.

Luckily I do know that forum posts can be deceiving, otherwise you'd never buy a 911, especially one prone to stud failure with a 915 gearbox.

But still, it seems the problems with them stem not from hard driving, but from stop start gentle driving where people drive it like a normal slusher. And that describes the target market for the car exactly.

I had an 08 R32 from new with the DSG and it was faultless, heaps of fun and never gave any sign of an issue.....in fact it was the one and only car I've ever felt comfortable enough to sell to a friend and he just loves it........have to agree re the slide that got a pretty good write up.

We've got a 12 audi a1 which as we know is based on polo. 7 speed s tronic... Pretty much what DJM said : good compromise box with that little annoying stutter from some intersections.. Mainly when you stop start really quick, auto engine stop starts further adds to it.

All in all, I'm happy with it... Never been an issue and it's way better than a conventional automatic transmission!

Suggest you drive one and see if it is something you can live with

Yeah the car is not for me, which makes it harder. I've driving a few DSG cars now during the test drive process - two golfs, a Tiguan and a Skoda.  The hesitation thing is fine - I guess you learn to drive around it.

If it was for me I would have already passed on VW due to them all being FWD.  E46 3 series are screaming deals right now if you can find the right one with reasonable ks and decent spec.  If I was looking for a DD that's where I'd be shopping.

Anyway.  I'm going to throw some other cars into the potential mix.  One thing about Golfs having high resale value is that, second hand, they're actually poor value for money in comparison.  A car that original sold for $30k is in the same price range as a car that originally sold for $50k.  

I went through the same decision earlier this year and ended up with a V60 Volvo instead. Although the DSG thing wasn't a major factor, our previous experience with a DSG Audi A3 did tarnish the enthusiasm to get back in.

Besides....I actually preferred the packaging of the V60, more sportswagon than full size load-lugger and we got the T6 AWD variant with nearly 350bhp which is simply sublime. New it was nearly $90K (which is insanity) but at $40K with warranty still remaining it's a bargain.

There's only 2 for sale in Australia now (as they are a bit of an unknown).... but one is in QLD http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Volvo-V60-2011/AGC-AD-15653563/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

I had a DSG TDI Golf a few years ago. Loved the car, apart from the DSG issue which was that every now and then if you stopped on a hill at lights or a stop sign and went to take off it was like it was in neutral, engine would rev but no forward movement. Had DSG serviced and it was great for about 6 weeks then started same crap again,so I traded it on a BMW 120D. BMW was a Boring car. Preferred the Golf as it was more comfortable and without those ultra noisy run flat tyres of the BMW and a bit more engaging? Fuel economy on Golf was phenomenal. One trip from Maleny to Keperra it averaged 3.5 but the first 20 k is all down hill.

• 5 years later...

There can be some similarities as the systems can be quite tech

Porsche is slightly worse as you cannot get internal parts for their PDK boxes where as VW are supplying some internal parts for the DSG. 

Its pretty shit to be honest, we had a 987 in a few weeks back with failure or excess wear of the one of the clutch packs. this should be a replaceable part but isn't. new gearbox is needed at 35Kish. its a bit of a joke. Problem with the PDK is that owners are driving them like automatics and when you take off lightly the clutches are slipping the entire time, slippage equals wear 

Regards

Sean