Flachbau one?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for originality. To me, perfection is having the car as it left the factory.

As it left the factory is what the original owner specced it as. As we know , some people have better taste and perhaps more $ than others .

But not this person

interior.jpg

It was made as a classic one, then was converted to a slant nose. It is a replica. This is NO a TURBO :)

I didn`t buy the normal one just because it was a good idea for this amount of money. Moreover front headlight mechanism tend to stuck with time and it is a pretty headache to fix it... 

Tough one...it is an aftermarket conversion...is it done well?  Steel parts or f/glass?

wonder how many slant noses will be left - they all seem to be getting converted

I'd vote for leaving it how it is and enjoying it!

and if you wanna change it later hang onto all the bits to swap it back to slantnose if you ever want to

it is your car at the end of the day, do what you wanna do and don't listen to the internet!

My vote is to stew on it a bit as well.

Sounds like you have a few things to get right before tucking into bodywork.

Lots of us buy cars in colours we aren't hot for...and then find over time we come to really like the colour.  Or buy sportos and find they're kind of fun in their own way, or buy targas and find that taking the roof off is worth the creaks and leaks.

I think you'll grow to like being different - after all, you were different enough to lay down the cash in the first place when most people skimmed over it.

Tough one...it is an aftermarket conversion...is it done well?  Steel parts or f/glass?

Yes, the parts are made of steel. Front bumper is f\glass and a bit twisted and needs some fixie-fixie. Rear bumper is metal one and I`m a bit surprised because of this fact. 

Skirts\rockers need a bit sanding and respray, the rest is pretty ok.

Have done some shots today in Albert Park.

d21775cs-960.jpg

fe1775cs-960.jpga11775cs-960.jpge11775cs-960.jpg

Man whats not to love. Aero and pop up headlights, Very 80's and very cool IMO but I am biased as I love the pop up headlights on mine

Yours was designed as pop up lights and looks great, mine was as froggy eyed one, when I look at her from the side I can see like an elephant sat on the hood and bent it. 

Yours was designed as pop up lights and looks great, mine was as froggy eyed one, when I look at her from the side I can see like an elephant sat on the hood and bent it.

Maybe it would look better if you looked from the other side ....  :lol: 

I love the photos .... as above, whats not to love .... very 80's and cool retro ....

Hi Cheshire Cat,

I like your car.  If it were mine, I would repair/repaint the front bumper, remove the American side markers on the front bar, paint the wheel centres black, adjust the pop-up headlight so they align better with the body, and drive the hell out of it!  Vive la différence

Hi Cheshire, 

Welcome! This link might give you an idea which way I reckon you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Front-Fender-Drivers-Side-/151512569752

Seriously though, how hard is it to swap out the fenders/bumpers with originals and keep the slant nose in the garage for later? Assuming one day you wake up with a mullet and start wearing your sunglasses at night.

I've seen long hood backdates that we're totally reversible, not sure I can see this being much different albeit I'm ignorant as to what lies underneath a flachbau? 

Hi Cheshire, 

Welcome! This link might give you an idea which way I reckon you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Front-Fender-Drivers-Side-/151512569752

Seriously though, how hard is it to swap out the fenders/bumpers with originals and keep the slant nose in the garage for later? Assuming one day you wake up with a mullet and start wearing your sunglasses at night.

I've seen long hood backdates that we're totally reversible, not sure I can see this being much different albeit I'm ignorant as to what lies underneath a flachbau? 

You basically reading my mind. I was thinking about to keep all the flat stuff just in case, meanwhile doing it a bit more classy and lighter. Not going to race on her, but from my point of view some part of racing heritage could be involved in a style of my 911. Therefore I`m going with f\glass-c\fiber fenders\bars etc. 

P.s. not going to cut her. Just saying.

A few years ago you couldn't give away a 914 but now they are worth a pretty penny. Rarity is always desirable but sometimes it takes a while for the market to catch on. Keeping the bits makes sense but I doubt if you do convert it it will ever be a reverted back, which is sad to me but as stated not my car, so what I think doesn't matter.

My mechanic had a car he was working on that had been changed to look like a turbo and I thought looked great, but the owner had lost a lot of money on it, as it was now worth a lot more original than when he chose to change it. I think around $40,000 and even if he reverted it back, he could never get back what it would have been worth if left alone. One thing that is great about these cars is you have unlimited scope to make them your own, and do so many things to them, and thats exactly what many do, while others like to keep them pristine and unmolested. No one is right or wrong. Personally I had a slantnose poster as a teenager(turbo) and fell in love with them and the 935's so was taken aback that someone who owned one couldn't see the beauty in it lol Main thing is you enjoy your car, as I can always get another poster ;)

Don't get me wrong Cyberpunky, I'm all for originality and my SC hopefully backs this up. Your example with the Turbo upgrade is also spot on, you can tear up a lot of money making an 'upgrade' like that. I'm just not sure this example is the same, not only because it began life as an SC but it could also be an inexpensive project to bolt on some fibreglass SC panels if you wanted to go down that path.

Gives the owner the 911 look he wants and keeps the future flachbau 'upside-history-whatever' stored in the garage until required. Win win! 

Well spotted Steve ......

With a bit of detective work, I'm wondering the following ...

Ebay seller ...... George from Victoria

Cheshire Cat ..... George from Victoria

Is there any connection George? Has the slantnose finally seen its last day?

Nah, Ronny, I don't think CC has done the unspeakable as I don't think CC is a jeans and rubber thongs type a guy.

But if you were to buy Uncle's old car (discussed in another thread), buy this front end and attach (don't worry about the back end stuff as it is already a wide body), paint it lime green with all black wheels, would it not be the coolest car ever?

Well spotted Steve ......

With a bit of detective work, I'm wondering the following ...

Ebay seller ...... George from Victoria

Cheshire Cat ..... George from Victoria

Is there any connection George? Has the slantnose finally seen its last day?

As far as you could notice - my front bar a bit with "brackets" :)

Nah, Ronny, I don't think CC has done the unspeakable as I don't think CC is a jeans and rubber thongs type a guy.

But if you were to buy Uncle's old car (discussed in another thread), buy this front end and attach (don't worry about the back end stuff as it is already a wide body), paint it lime green with all black wheels, would it not be the coolest car ever?

As Peter said, I`m not the rubber thong type a guy :))))

Nope, have decided to keep everything in a garage, but this price tag makes me... no, forces me to think again :)))

Nope, have decided to keep everything in a garage, but this price tag makes me... no, forces me to think again :)))

Remember George ...... you can ask what you like ..... actually selling it at your asking price is something different alltogether ....

Remember George ...... you can ask what you like ..... actually selling it at your asking price is something different alltogether ....

I know it pretty good. I`m selling right now some goods from my previous car so...

Anyway, my plan is to stick to my plan which is: keep everything slantnose as long as it needs and build something classy and light.

Archived