Flachbau one?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wonder how many slant noses will be left - they all seem to be getting converted

I'd vote for leaving it how it is and enjoying it!

and if you wanna change it later hang onto all the bits to swap it back to slantnose if you ever want to

it is your car at the end of the day, do what you wanna do and don't listen to the internet!

Yes......hope the new owner hasn't closed his PFA account

I agree, he really copped it, big time.

Whether meant in jest or not, it was a bit rough. 

did i miss something?

Russ,

I think they are referring to the hard time and comments regarding converting the slantnose back to a conventional front.

But isn't this what a good forum is all about?

Expressing opinions ...... good and bad ... agreeing and disagreeing.

Gee, if I had taken to heart what everyone told me about my smog pump (which I still have btw) I'd not only have closed my account, but driven my car and its smog pump off a cliff. (yes Russ, I still have it).

Cheshire Cat .....

If you are still with us, please take everything here as opinions only. We all have one and this is what makes the world go around.

As I said in a previous post, you will do what suits you and your circumstances ...... doesn't mean everyone will agree, but it doesn't matter.

I`m still here and I`m absolutely ok with pretty much everything you said above :)

Let`s do it this way. It is a long time project, everything I have in my mind is just a sketch, it could be like this and in a couple months like that. But I have this time to consider conversion back to classic or leave it as it is.

My first steps going be like fixing everything should be fixed. I have hose from the heat exchanger really torn, have some hoses on my right side with no connection to whatever (I hope it`s a oil cooler hoses with no oil radiator, but could be an A/C). I have interior coming apart. Have an washer tank just hanging out on masking tape or something like that. And so on and on...

Btw, green struts are Boge ones?

I have no clue but Bilsteins were/are considered a desirable upgrade from the Boges which I assume would have been standard.

(They are most probably Bilsteins, I'm just suggesting you check the stampings on the housing before you buy replacement strut inserts for example rather than assume they are.  It's easy to be caught out is all I'm suggesting. )

Good on you Mr Cat, i'm glad you haven't taken any of this too seriously.

Lot's of passionate people on here and without people like this there would be no debate.

While we may be opinionated, there would be no malice in any of the comments put forward by people on this forum.

Knowing some of these people personally, I have no doubt that they would want you to get this car exactly how you want it, good luck with the journey and keep us updated.

P.S. I'll keep an eye on that Dreamr fella for ya, I know where he lives :D

I`m still here and I`m absolutely ok with pretty much everything you said above :)

Let`s do it this way. It is a long time project, everything I have in my mind is just a sketch, it could be like this and in a couple months like that. But I have this time to consider conversion back to classic or leave it as it is.

My first steps going be like fixing everything should be fixed. I have hose from the heat exchanger really torn, have some hoses on my right side with no connection to whatever (I hope it`s a oil cooler hoses with no oil radiator, but could be an A/C). I have interior coming apart. Have an washer tank just hanging out on masking tape or something like that. And so on and on...

Btw, green struts are Boge ones?

Ok Fellas .....

Looks like we've managed to stall him a while .... This gives us enough time to either convince him to change his mind or we can all pay him a visit when he's not expecting it .. :ph34r:  ;)

BTW ..... I'd keep an eye on that Tingy fellow if I were you ... he'll be at the front of the queue if the "visit" occurs ......

Well even though it is a temporary reprieve, I hope it is a long one ;) I would love the chance to take a few pics of this car at some point, as have only ever seen a slantnose in magazines and online(excluding the 935), seeing one in the flesh would be awesome

A pic I took of Rusty's 935 (one of many)

188993_1926124994377_1263467_n.jpg?oh=02

I believe Hugh is organising a get together in the Edinburgh Gardens (north Fitzroy) for Sunday week, keep an eye out for an upcoming thread on this... Probs around lunchtime as I heard mention of a BurgerVan!

I've been watching this on carsales for a while thinking this is the cheapest guards red post '70 non basket case I'd seen for ages, and I'm glad you bought it so I didn't have to! lol

I'm going to buck the trend - I say convert it.  Not only will it look better (I have no love for the slant nose look) you will add close to $10k of value in today's IB market.  But there would be no rush for you to do so! Enjoy it for a while - it may grow on you.

What would you need to spend to convert it back?

I'm not up on the going price for a set of guards, headlights, valance panel and then the cost of labour and no doubt repainting but surely it would be close to cost netural?

I say keep it how it is and just wait for Magnus to discovery and promote the Flachbau!
:)  

I'd guess and say $1500 to $2k for panels, and about a grand for paint. Decent '82 left hook with books is still worth more than what it was advertised for so I recon it's potentially a good exercise, depending on all the other usual variables (condition/books/etc etc).

But that aside, slant nose is an unpopular look compared to classic 911 and if it is to be kept for a while it'd be worth doing just for the owner's preference alone.  If there was ever a concern about the value of the slant nose conversion, the panels could be kept and in the meantime used as an awesome bar in the man cave :D

Archived