Singer - is there one in Australia?

hepkat63

I heard in an interview that they have had Australian enquiries, but didn't mention any deliveries. I think at this point there is a waiting list.

I wonder if they've even made a RHD version?  I would have thought someone in the UK might have bought one.  I know we can drive LHD here in Oz now - but if you're paying out that sort of $$ you'd at least want to sit on the right side (pun intended) of the car.

I wonder if they've even made a RHD version?  I would have thought someone in the UK might have bought one.  I know we can drive LHD here in Oz now - but if you're paying out that sort of $$ you'd at least want to sit on the right side (pun intended) of the car.

They just take your car and put their stuff in. As it must be a 964 you couldn't register it here LHD as they are still too new. It still has the same compliance plate, build date etc. I doubt there is much in their build that couldn't be done in RHD - maybe some of the custom interior parts but that would be easy enough to do.

What are the chances of meeting ADR?

There would be no issues with ADR, but you might have to get an inspection based on state rules. I'm not sure if the engine case is replaced (and hence number) - I think I heard that the case is the only thing they keep, and in that a case it's not even an engine swap. But depending if you get a cage or anything like that - the laws are different regarding modifications.

Otherwise if you took a RHD complianced car and sent to over to them, and then they sent it back, I doubt there would be many issues. You could keep paying the rego and keep the plates and strictly speaking not even take it near the registration authorities.

The toughest part in my book would be convincing the insurance company to value your 199x 911 for $300k+

I'm officially afflicted by the Singer fantasy and have thought about the practicality of getting one back to Oz. . .  

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/rav.aspx

My approach would be to export an Aussie plated 964 to the US for a "driving holiday".  Then bring it back six months later much improved by the good folks at Singer.  Main risk is that govt would decide it was no longer the original car due to extent of the modifications . . . here's a quote of the gov website:

The vehicle being re-imported is to be the same as the vehicle that was previously exported. If a vehicle has been converted into a different automotive product (such as a replica car or stretched) while overseas, the vehicle no longer qualifies under these arrangements and would have to seek import approval under another option.

I'm officially afflicted by the Singer fantasy and have thought about the practicality of getting one back to Oz. . .  

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/rav.aspx

My approach would be to export an Aussie plated 964 to the US for a "driving holiday".  Then bring it back six months later much improved by the good folks at Singer.  Main risk is that govt would decide it was no longer the original car due to extent of the modifications . . . here's a quote of the gov website:

The vehicle being re-imported is to be the same as the vehicle that was previously exported. If a vehicle has been converted into a different automotive product (such as a replica car or stretched) while overseas, the vehicle no longer qualifies under these arrangements and would have to seek import approval under another option.

i don't think that will be an issue- the wording of that seems to refer to changing the class of vehicle i.e. from passenger car to ICV/limo etc

i don't think that will be an issue- the wording of that seems to refer to changing the class of vehicle i.e. from passenger car to ICV/limo etc

I agree.

For all that the Singer work is, realistically it's just a body & paint job and a new interior with an engine rebuild.   Ok, for us, it goes deeper than that - but as far as the paperwork shufflers are concerned, that's all there is to it.  It's still the same car with the same VIN and engine number, with the same number of seats and the same basic chassis configuration.  The 'replica car' wording is interesting, but I would say that relates into turning a VW into a Ferrari or something like that, rather than fitting bigger wheels on a Porsche.

If you're serious about it I bet they (Singer) would have experience in filling out paperwork - Australia is not the only place with ridiculous import laws.

Main thing to remember is that federal import rules are a different thing than state based registration rules.  So as long as it is the same vehicle as it was when it left, then that should satisfy the import people.

I remember reading an article where Rob Dickinson said he was waiting for ADR compliance to import into Australia but I can't seem to find it.

I am sure it was in a recent motoring magazine, I think it may have been the Australian Top Gear magazine.

The toughest part in my book would be convincing the insurance company to value your 199x 911 for $300k+

Having just been through this, albeing not for $300k, it's not hard. The broker did the leg work and I just needed to get a valuation from a licenced motor dealer or valuer.

Still the best Singer video...no surprises that it features Chris Harris

http://youtu.be/fJQ4hQSusjE

Archived